+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Please don't get a dog if you're not allowed.
    Put yourself in the owners shoes- would you like someone to lie to you and go against your wishes of what goes on in your house? Your house that you've spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on, paying for repairs and maintenance to keep it looking in great condition?
    If you have your pet indoors, it's not as simple as having carpets cleaned. Pets have a smell that is difficult to remove; people that own pets probably don't notice, but they do. Cats and dogs also shed fur onto the carpets, the fur gets caught up in the carpet and you cannot get it out. What if the owners have allergies and are hoping on moving back in there one day? If the pet soils the carpet, it'll sometimes go through all layers, you can't get that out by steam cleaning.
    Outdoors, a dog may ruin the grass. I know my dog (at my mums house, because I'm renting), has her favourite tracks to run and so the grass has died down in these spots, and teh dirt has compacted so it's very difficult to get it to grow back. What if your dog does this? It's not like they can fix grass in the few days between tenants. Also gardens.

Sorry but I really think it's terribly dishonest and incredibly selfish.

In addition to this, a dog lives for what, 15 years? Do you think you will have success in either having acceptance of a dog or 'hiding' a dog for the next 15 years? What happens if you get found out? You will either have to pack up and find somewhere else to live quick smart, with a blemish on your rental record, or you will have to surrender the dog, which is unfair to the dog, and also to you and your family who have grown to love it.

It's all a very bad idea.

That said.... I have rats, without asking permission. However they are in a cage in the laundry, so they are never near carpet or any other surface that could be damaged. If the kids want to play with them they do so in the bathroom, again, so there's no damaged surfaces.
    I'm also getting a scorpion (he's coming in the mail in the next few days!) but I don't think I need to ask permission for him anyway because I think I'm allowed something in a tank. He's not exactly a cute and cuddly pet though. But as PP's have mentioned, if you rent, you really need to accept that you are unlikely to have pets.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default pets and renting

Where I am, it's an extremely tight rental market and you would very rarely find a pet friendly place or apply with a pet as you would be rejected.

I've wanted a dog for years but could never get one as I rented through my 20s, mostly with flat mates. I did hide my Burmese cat for years in lots of apartments or houses but only because he never did any damage. He was always flea treated (was inside all the time and never had a flea) and I always got a place fumigated and carpets cleaned when I left and every property had a great inspection record and never had any problems at end of lease. If he had started doing stuff like weeing or ripping up curtains or carpet I would have take him to my mums.

Hiding a dog would be hard and dogs do like to dig and chew by nature.

I know plenty of people who hide cats and don't wreck houses, when they leave the house is left in such good condition you'd never know a pet was there.

It is a risk thorough and if you get caught out, be prepared to wear the consequences.

Mod-Myztik is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    My April Fools baby
    Winner 2009- Biggest Post-Awards Whinger
    Winner 2010- Biggest Computer Nerd

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Default pets and renting

Not to mention the 'or buy your own home' added o the en of that sentence London. I'm sure so many people would be renting I they had the means to just go off and buy a house.

I'm probably going to be face with this dilemma very soon. I have two cats, five inside birds, a chicken and frogs and may have to move in the near future. I have looked at rentals around here and if t says no pets I just move on. I'm not willing to try and hide my pets.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Myztik For This Useful Post:

PurpleButterfly4  (06-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: pets and renting

If you intend to rent for a while, don't get a dog. It's not only the house that you're living in now, but with renting you never know hoe secure your residence is and a pet makes it rather difficult to find a new rental property.

Mod-Myztik is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    My April Fools baby
    Winner 2009- Biggest Post-Awards Whinger
    Winner 2010- Biggest Computer Nerd

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Default pets and renting

Another thing that spins me out, if people have pets inside and then hide them do they really think that the landlord or whoever won't smell it? Even the cleanest of animals still leave a smell.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default pets and renting

You need to ask.
    It's not your home and it's disrespectful to the owners.

Yes you pay rent to live there, but being able to rent in another persons home is a great privilege to have when your unable to own your own home.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default pets and renting

Quote Originally Posted by Myztik View Post
    Another thing that spins me out, if people have pets inside and then hide them do they really think that the landlord or whoever won't smell it? Even the cleanest of animals still leave a smell.
    Totally get what you are saying but I've never had any landlord tell me that. Our cat is a bit of a freak and got washed once a month but we always passed every inspection with flying colors. That was 4 different properties a lot of them brand or near new apartments.

I know what you are saying though because some people's houses do really smell of pets.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default pets and renting

We have rented for 7 years now, have lived in 9 properties due to re-locating with work.

We have 2 dogs and a cat.
    We have always been honest about them, even telling them that all animals are inside at times.
    We have never had issues getting our bond back, and for being honest tenants about our pets and fixing any damages we have written references for all properties stating that we are good tenants and have never had issues with our current pets.
    For this we have had no problems getting into a new rental.
    The current rental we are in the owners didn't want pets, we put an application in anyway with the pet application and we were accepted, we have been here for 2 years now and the owners are happy with us and our pets.

Hiding a pet in a rental doesn't do you any good, and if you do get found out it might not be so good for future rental references.

Just ask, you have nothing to loose by asking.
    If they say no maybe keep in mind you can move once your lease is up to a house that accepts pets.
    I would much rather be told no, over being found out I have unknown, unapproved pets in a property that could end badly.
    It's a breach to your current rental contract.
    I'm sure you wouldn't appreciate it if the landlords breached something in the contract that effected you.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default pets and renting

Im annoyed that our tenants smoke ( they told us they didnt on the application). Cats sh!t and **** stinks, ( putting it simply).
    As owners for us it's a trust thing too. If we can't trust them on something as simple as no pets then it does make you wonder.
    I know it's hard for renters but it comes with the territory.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014

Default Re: pets and renting

Quote Originally Posted by Myztik View Post
    Even if they think they can smell them, how can they prove it though?
    I get out carpet deodorant, burn heaps of incense before inspections. If anything, they probably think i'm a stoner.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

jagamoe  (07-01-2013),mama and her little bearxxx  (06-01-2013)