+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default pets and renting

Quote Originally Posted by Janesmum123 View Post
    I have never told a real estate agent I have a pet.
    I know so many people who get rejected from property for being honest.
    But this is Sydney it's either sink or swim.
    I know people who have hid kids! Yes kids because their lease has stated they can only have 2 and they had another one.
    Hiding a pet is easy as long as they cause no damage and any damage that is caused you have to fix ASAP.
    You just have to hide it during inspection times.

Of course being honest is the best option but not everyone wants to take the honesty risk. Sydney rental market is ruthless.
    I think it's tough titties if the rental market is tight. For the most part not having pets is just part of rental life.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: pets and renting

Agreed. Move to a different area if you want pets that badly coz you're going to be up sh!t creek if you're evicted for having a pet, and even if you get rid of it you'll have a black mark against your name and finding a house will be even harder!

Sent from my HTC One X using BubHub

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default pets and renting

We didn't have pets at all while we were renting. Even if one owner had allowed it, we had no idea if the next one would.

I just consider having no pets as one of the facts of renting, and another motivation to buy.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

BlissedOut  (06-01-2013),FindMyLunch  (10-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default pets and renting

I think it's also very dishonest and risky. If we had tennants that lied about having a dog I would move to evicted them immediately.

Have you also thought that while you don't see / hear from your landlord that doesn't mean they aren't keeping an eye on the property? They, or someone they know, could be doing regular drive by inspections of the property, or they may know the neighbors, or have a friend in the area who might pass the property one day and see your illegal pet.

We had a landlord once that we never or saw or heard from, but worked out after a year that they were actually the 'weirdos' who would do a slow drive-by of our house every weekend!

Be honest OP! It's always the best policy.

We just waited till we bought our own house to get a dog, as we were worried about our rental prospects if we had one.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: pets and renting

We rent so have accepted its best not to have pets.

I dont think its right to lie about it personally. Its a shame renting with pets is hard as i know our little girl would love a cat or a dog

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I guess everyone has to look at the risks involved.
    Of course eviction is possible.
    I was willing to take the risk and maybe it was luck that there was never an issue.
    Anyway each to their own I would never allow damage to someone's property and when I moved they had no idea I had a pet so win win for everyone.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Janesmum123 For This Useful Post:

HarvestMoon  (06-01-2013),mama and her little bearxxx  (06-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default pets and renting

As pp said I wouldn't risk it - we have had so many neighbors call us (agents) dobbing in tenants who have dogs and if it's not in your lease it is cause for eviction , I know it's hard but just ask first just in case they say yes! If you are in a strata building ( unit,villa,townhouse) they have their own by-laws an owner cannot overrule
    I'm in Sydney and I would say at least 60% of our landlords won't allow pets ( for many reasons and experiences other pp,s have mentioned)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default pets and renting

One of the reasons we chose to leave our last rental was because the owner flat out refused to let us have a pet.

I absolutely support the owners right to say no to pets but his reason was that other tenants had done the wrong thing before. It did sting a little that it was purely that he did not trust us to do the right thing, especially as we had always been exceptional tenants (clean, rent paid 3 months ahead, accommodating to his constant unannounced visits).

We called around and found that there were properties in our area that would allow pets, cost the same and were bigger houses with AC etc. we applied for one, gave notice to the landlord and were moved in and had a new puppy within a week! I would suggest being honest and if all else fails and you really want a pet more than the current rental, you could alway look around.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I rent and have cats. We have just applied to have a dog. If she says yes then awesome.

I dont see myself as renting till I can afford to buy... hardly. We rent as we dont know what is going to happen in our relationship and future.. limbo land.

But my owner just put our rent up to $1100 a week so its hardly tough titties... I think she knows she is on to a good thing and would be highly surprised if she said no to a dog.

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    I find it funny when people say "just find a pet friendly property" ....like its easy. Its NOT easy...not in my experience anyway. We had references for our pets, were willing to pay more rent and a higher pet bond and we still got knocked back for numerous properties.

I can honestly understand why owners dont want someone elses pet POSSIBLY ruining their home...I can.....but not all pets are feral and not all pet owners are lazy scum who will let their pets destroy the property. I can see both sides, but I do laugh when people think its easy to 'just find a pet friendly alternative' ....these days its getting harder and harder and harder.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to London For This Useful Post:

mama and her little bearxxx  (06-01-2013),PurpleButterfly4  (06-01-2013),Tildy  (02-02-2013)