+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 30 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We rented with one dog , asked the landlord and he said yes , re did the agreement to add a few extra things about dog . Then we got another dog again asked the landlord and he said fine. We moved . The dogs had to be outside dogs not great at all so we moved again . We where honest again and we were allowed dogs.

I always wrote the letter offering a dog bond ( never had to) offering extra rent ($10 a week , never had to) , and went over the top about how we will have everything steam cleaned. , flea treated, damage paid for on leaving ..... And we never had to do anything on leaving except the final clean and flea treat the house.

I could not live with the worry of the owner finding out! I want to relax at home ! Now we own a home , if we were to rent it out I would prefer honesty and j would encourage a pet in exchange for a long term tennant . Not all dog owners have destructive pets and don't care for the property . I think you should just ask .

Thanks
    Reviews

Default pets and renting

I think you should respect someone's property and ask.

If I were the owner I'd more than appreciate this and If I were the tenant I'd be more than happy to do this.

In some situations it may be fair for the landlord to not want a pet or place special conditions - freshly laid turf or new plants in garden etc ...

Thanks
    Reviews

Default pets and renting

As a landlord, i allow my tenants pets if they ask. That's why A bond is paid and why you have landlord insurance. But if I found out that I was lied to or my tenant wasn't being honest I would be more picky about inspections, payments And I would increase the rent every 6 months which you are allowed to do. In our places when we have good tenant we try to look after them, by putting in dishwashers or redoing the carpet etc I am sure most people are the same.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default pets and renting

Our landlord is a gooey animal lover so was very happy for us to have our dog-even said that's what the doggy door is for however I block that because I don't like animals in the house!

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default pets and renting

With the greatest of respect, many people in Queensland don't seem to realise that their circumstances have nothing in common with most other parts of the country when it comes to real estate.

It's unwise for you to make comparisons, and particularly frustrating when you belittle others based on your limited experience.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

CMF  (09-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I am really shocked by some of the posts on this thread. Alot of people saying just go buy a house if you want a pet. It is not that easy there is alot of reasons why people don't buy houses.

I had a bordie collie which i had most of my life. He moved out with me and my df when i fell pregnant and came to live with us. We didn't tell our R/E and i just took him for a walk. He died before we moved 2 years later. When the landlord wanted to do the final inspection/ we had moved out already we told him we had a dog and he didn't care. The real estate on the other hand was there with the landlord and had a bif fit saying they where going to take all the bond for not telling them etc. It went to Vcat and got thrown out because they can't keep your bond because there was no damage.. Most of the time it isnt the landlords but is the real estate they dont want to much paper work.

If we got another pet which we have done so a fish and bird i havent told the real estate at this place and dont intend to. They would never know. My landlord though has told us if we have a 3rd baby she will kick us out as she doesn't like children. we did put them both down on the application form.

Just a question to all landlords. You say you dont want pets and if your tenants did you would kick them out. Okay so what if a family came along with 2 children and 2 children were placed on the lease but they didn't tell you they were pregnant with a 3rd and you only wanted the 2 children who were on the lease would you kick them out because they "lied" because they didn't tell you they were expecting a 3rd?

It is the same with pets. Some people dont expect to get pets. But people do die who have pets and as a daughter or son you are going to take on those responsibilities of caring for the animals and not give them up. Your not going to think about telling your landlord that you have fur babies coming if someone has died.

But if you are wanting a pet which is a dog or cat then no i wouldn't risk it again. if it wasn't apart of your family already as in someone else pet and wasn't old. Luckly my dog was old and my parents could no longer care for him and i wasnt go to see him in a dog pound for his last 2 years of his life. It isn't fair.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Autumncurl View Post
    As a landlord, i allow my tenants pets if they ask. That's why A bond is paid and why you have landlord insurance. But if I found out that I was lied to or my tenant wasn't being honest I would be more picky about inspections, payments And I would increase the rent every 6 months which you are allowed to do. In our places when we have good tenant we try to look after them, by putting in dishwashers or redoing the carpet etc I am sure most people are the same.
    Not in my experience! My rent has always increased at every opportunity and they expect the property to be spotless (in show room condition) at every rent inspection.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default pets and renting

Quote Originally Posted by Autumncurl View Post
    Can you be my landlord?

Thanks
    Reviews

Default pets and renting

Quote Originally Posted by headoverfeet View Post
    Not in my experience! My rent has always increased at every opportunity and they expect the property to be spotless (in show room condition) at every rent inspection.
    I feel like there could be a spin off regarding property managers/landlords! I had a property manager who refused to sign off on my spotless unit because there was dust in the tracks of the bedroom windows. I never even thought about window tracks or their cleanliness! Everything else was always clean and in good condition but she'd spend ages inspecting every nook and cranny and the tiniest spot would send her into a power trip. I know not all are like that but it made inspection times stressful!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Plan2bamummy View Post
    Not intending to be smart arsy so if you take it that way thats not my intent. On domain right now there are numerous results that came up for me in post codes 4152 and 4122( and surrounding suburbs) in qld for minimum 3 bed 1 bath unit, townhouse/ villa or house under 350k. These are good suburbs not in the sticks. Some of you may actually be surprised by what's out there, and yes deposits can be an issue but some banks will still lend on less than 10% you never know unless you look
    That's nice. If you live in QLD in 4152 and 4122.

Just FYI, I did the same as you, went to Domain, put in my suburb and surrounding, searching for a 3bdr property under $350,000. Results- 0.
    So I took out the price range, and just searched for a 3bdr property. First one listed (from lowest price to highest) is $669,000. Oh and in case your interested, the highest price listed was for offers over $2,750,000.

So there you go. And no I'm not willing to move anywhere cheaper, I did that once and it didn't work out.