+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 30 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default pets and renting

Quote Originally Posted by London View Post
    By the time this argument is over OP would have bought a dog and trained it to dig for treasure so she can buy a home and not have to hide the dog.
    London, you nearly made me spit my coffee, lol!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default pets and renting

A mortgage on $325k is still approx. $625 per week, plus rates, plus water plus insurance, plus strata - and I'm sure QLD is a lovely place to live but $350k in Sydney buys you a 1 bedroom unit if your lucky !

I have never had a bank in this economy lend under 10% unless you have equity in another home

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Purple Lily  (09-01-2013),SoThisIsLove  (08-01-2013),Stiflers Mom  (08-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default pets and renting

Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    They generally don't sell by auction in Qld.
    I wish they didn't here, it's so depressing getting excited about a property you might be able to afford and the bidding just keeps going... Good if you're the seller though I guess...

Thanks
    Reviews

Default pets and renting

Usually there is discounting too so atleast 6% below asking price .

Thanks
    Reviews

Default pets and renting

Quote Originally Posted by Plan2bamummy View Post
    Not intending to be smart arsy so if you take it that way thats not my intent. On domain right now there are numerous results that came up for me in post codes 4152 and 4122( and surrounding suburbs) in qld for minimum 3 bed 1 bath unit, townhouse/ villa or house under 350k. These are good suburbs not in the sticks. Some of you may actually be surprised by what's out there, and yes deposits can be an issue but some banks will still lend on less than 10% you never know unless you look
    Yes I agree, there will be houses available where mortgage repayments are comparable to rent and not hard to find - especially in QLD.

However, saving for a deposit and the other associated costs of buying a property is most likely the problem with some people - and not all banks will lend for less than 10%.
    (Banks used to give out home loans like candy but that is no longer the case these days!)

I currently rent, but do have savings for a deposit to buy a place. I choose not to right now, as the house prices are very inflated in Sydney and I just don't think it is worth it...

SpecialPatrolGroup is online now T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Plan2bamummy View Post
    Not intending to be smart arsy so if you take it that way thats not my intent. On domain right now there are numerous results that came up for me in post codes 4152 and 4122( and surrounding suburbs) in qld for minimum 3 bed 1 bath unit, townhouse/ villa or house under 350k. These are good suburbs not in the sticks. Some of you may actually be surprised by what's out there, and yes deposits can be an issue but some banks will still lend on less than 10% you never know unless you look
    Yes, but in a townhouse/unit complex you also need to add body corporate costs too. Some are incredibly expensive.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default pets and renting

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialPatrolGroup View Post
    Yes, but in a townhouse/unit complex you also need to add body corporate costs too. Some are incredibly expensive.
    Some are reasonable too and you don't need building insurance ( only contents) as that's covered under body corp. body corp cost = can be sane as monthly building insurance ( which you have to have if you have a mortgage )

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by shelle65 View Post
    I wish they didn't here, it's so depressing getting excited about a property you might be able to afford and the bidding just keeps going... Good if you're the seller though I guess...
    Buying and selling in Melbourne is horrendous. You cannot get an agent to give you a realistic price whether you're buying or selling, because the market is haywire and they never know. And with auctions you have to go in with an unconditional contract, meaning you've already spent loads of cash on searches before you even get to bid.

Perth isn't much better as the list price is just indicative. They might actually want 100k more.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014

Default Re: pets and renting

Not to mention the fact that moving to just any area where you can get cheap housing is not doable for so many people - your child's school's, your work, excess fuel costs if you live too far away etc... we live over 40km away from DH's work to be close to my sons school. Fuel Costs us over $150 a week. If we were then to move in another direction, towards the cheaper areas, it's still a huge drive to DH's work plus then I'd have to drive further hence use more fuel to do school drop off and pick ups - we'd be up around $200 a week fuel. That's half of what my rent costs.

This discussion could go around in circles forever, yes owning a home is certainly attainable for many people, certainly some people who are renting would be able to buy. But not everyone is able to, and the naive view that it's attainable for everyone is really quite funny.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Default pets and renting

Australians seem to have an obsession with property, there are other ways to invest. Buying property is not the best option for everyone, even those that can afford to. If that's what suits you and you want to work towards it then great but honestly it is not the only way. Many places in Europe most people rent their entire lives. They have better renting terms there which is probably something which needs to be considered here.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

MissMuppet  (09-01-2013)