+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default pets and renting

Don't be dishonest, landlords like us used out entire savings to buy our first home. When our circumstances changed, we moved away leaving us with no option but to rent.

We initially said no pets as I had a beautiful garden and was frightened of it being destroyed.

We gave in and approved the tenants a pet lease for their two dogs as long as they stayed outside. These tenants took us for a ride the dogs destroyed the side gate, the back lawn, scratched the garage roller door and after many warning letters the tenants let the dogs live inside and poo all over our floors amongst other damage the tenants did to our home (rent default, kicking in the new dishwasher etc). They had unapproved pets hidden for inspection but the idiots left their belongings lying around.

It took a lot of time an money to clean and repaint the entire house (inside & out).

Our real estate was jut as bad, releasing their bond. Needless to say our house is now vacant draining our savings, but I do not have the heart to rent it again due to dishonest tenants twice in a row. We have been trying to sell well below what we bought it for even after our beautiful renovations, but the market is so dead.

Please be honest, you have no idea the stress it caused me, crying most days, stress on our marriage etc. I know you obviously don't think much of it but it is a breech and the owners can kick you out if they find out and I hope they do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you were found out, would you move out with the dog, or just give it up? I think this is a really bad idea op. What happens if you get the dog then cant find a dog friendly property? I would either get permission or move into a dog friendly property BEFORE getting any dog.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mousky For This Useful Post:

Disbride  (07-01-2013),PurpleButterfly4  (06-01-2013),Renesme  (07-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I rented a townhouse and we didn't to tell the agents about my 2 cats. I rocked up with all their things in the car, the cats and started unpacking them all (5am in the morning) and another tenant came over and said as part of their strata they didn't allow any animals. Drove the cats back to my mums

We then double checked with the agent, wrote a huge sob story about how we inherited the cats (a lie) and where still knocked back. Cancelled our lease and moved out 1 week later as I was not prepared to give up my animals.

Next rental we where honest, and allowed to live with my cats. I also agree with mousky, get permission, saves alot of stress and if your dog is a disruptive one you won't be able to hide it if neighbours complain.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: pets and renting

If i could have a dog at mine i would but the fact my landlords live right beside us is kinda impossiable lol. Use to have a dog at a property a long time ago and the real estate would always make a appointment to inspect the house was like at 5pm and because the realestate didnt know who i really was i would leave ex dp at home and walk the dog and they never knew or they did but didnt say anything lol

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default pets and renting

Quote Originally Posted by Bindy111 View Post
    Don't be dishonest, landlords like us used out entire savings to buy our first home. When our circumstances changed, we moved away leaving us with no option but to rent.

We initially said no pets as I had a beautiful garden and was frightened of it being destroyed.

We gave in and approved the tenants a pet lease for their two dogs as long as they stayed outside. These tenants took us for a ride the dogs destroyed the side gate, the back lawn, scratched the garage roller door and after many warning letters the tenants let the dogs live inside and poo all over our floors amongst other damage the tenants did to our home (rent default, kicking in the new dishwasher etc). They had unapproved pets hidden for inspection but the idiots left their belongings lying around.

It took a lot of time an money to clean and repaint the entire house (inside & out).

Our real estate was jut as bad, releasing their bond. Needless to say our house is now vacant draining our savings, but I do not have the heart to rent it again due to dishonest tenants twice in a row. We have been trying to sell well below what we bought it for even after our beautiful renovations, but the market is so dead.

Please be honest, you have no idea the stress it caused me, crying most days, stress on our marriage etc. I know you obviously don't think much of it but it is a breech and the owners can kick you out if they find out and I hope they do.
    This. Its such a horrible thing to have happen, we have a rental for much the same reasons. Our tenant asked to have a dog, we said yes (dog lovers ourselves). My DH has just seen the damage it has done to the yard we spent thousands of hours and dollars landscaping and trashed the bi fold doors. We're lucky though our tenant is honest and is happy to fix any damage. We're ok with that, it's her home at the moment but her being honest has softened the blow and I would not want her there if she hadn't told us.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: pets and renting

Don't be dishonest. It takes a lot of effort to hide a dog, keeping in mind how long dogs live are you prepared to keep this up for its lifetime?

I'd ask for permission, if its knocked back just find a pet friendly property.

Sent from my HTC One X using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default pets and renting

Quote Originally Posted by mrstuilawa View Post
    Don't be dishonest. It takes a lot of effort to hide a dog, keeping in mind how long dogs live are you prepared to keep this up for its lifetime?

I'd ask for permission, if its knocked back just find a pet friendly property.

Sent from my HTC One X using BubHub
    This. Lots of people are accommodating to pets. My poor mil had a dishonest tenant and the dog ruined her yard (fake lawn etc) she wouldn't of cared if she knew in the beginning because she would of just asked for a bigger bond to help with these things.

If I was you I would wait til you have your own place!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default pets and renting

I may have to rent out my house this year .... And I would want no pets and no smokers.

Upon request, I'd actually consider small pets like fish, birds and rabbits but definitley not cats or dogs. I have cats and they have done damaged to every property I've been in (which we've fixed before leaving). Dogs would be much worse as they poo everywhere and most people like to let dogs inside nowdays so who knows what damage would be done to the carpet.

If a tenant broke the lease by smoking or having a dog I would try and evict them.

I find what you are considering doing dishonest and underhanded. Great values to teach the kids...NOT.

If you want to get pets then either find a property that allows it or buy your own house. If you can't afford to buy then tough.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have never told a real estate agent I have a pet.
    I know so many people who get rejected from property for being honest.
    But this is Sydney it's either sink or swim.
    I know people who have hid kids! Yes kids because their lease has stated they can only have 2 and they had another one.
    Hiding a pet is easy as long as they cause no damage and any damage that is caused you have to fix ASAP.
    You just have to hide it during inspection times.

Of course being honest is the best option but not everyone wants to take the honesty risk. Sydney rental market is ruthless.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default pets and renting

I would be moving to immediately evict someone who was deliberately dishonest in their application for a rental property of mine. There are criteria for a reason and as the owner of the property I have the right to set those criteria... If I ask for no animals I'd expect the tenants to adhere to that - regardless of whether they were to 'repair' any damage or not. As a tenant I think it is disrespectful to lie to someone who is potentially providing your accommodation and risky (could end up evicted with a poor reference for the future). If you want an animal, get an animal friendly lease OR buy your own place. 😄