+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 30 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
    London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    What has staying at home with kids got to do with renting over having a mortgage? If one can afford to pay rent then surely they can afford to start somewhere by buying a home. Whether they have kids or not is irrelevant.
    Im sorry Kimberlygal, I dont mean to be offensive but you dont seem to have any idea. To assume any renter can afford to buy really is misinformed and misguided..and well, wrong. Its fine that that is your opinion or thought, but plenty of us renters are here to tell you that it is simply not correct.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to London For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (08-01-2013),soon2bmumzy  (08-01-2013),~ElectricPink~  (08-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Not always. Sometimes people have to rent out their 'homes' because they temporarily have to move away for work. And sometimes rental income doesn't always cover the mortgage. So it's done at a financial loss.

It's these types of landlords I really feel sorry for when a tenant trashes their home of leaves them with damage from an unauthorised pet.
    Exactly. Often it is done at a financial loss. We no longer have a rental because we need one or want one. We have had bad tenants twice now which is off putting. We have one because we need to have a house in the city in case we need to move back there which is entirely possible in the future when the boys go to high school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by London View Post
    Im sorry Kimberlygal, I dont mean to be offensive but you dont seem to have any idea. To assume any renter can afford to buy really is misinformed and misguided..and well, wrong. Its fine that that is your opinion or thought, but plenty of us renters are here to tell you that it is simply not correct.
    We will have to agree to disagree then. I believe anyone that's renting can buy particularly with the first home owners grant.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default pets and renting

What has staying at home with kids got to do with renting over having a mortgage? If one can afford to pay rent then surely they can afford to start somewhere by buying a home. Whether they have kids or not is irrelevant.
    Umm that's not everyone's reality. Some families go down to one income while their children are small so the mum or dad can stay home and not go back to work. Therefore they can't afford a mortgage, or they can't afford to save a deposit. Some people have sick or high needs children that one parent stays home with, therefore they can't work and live on one income.

I find it very strange you think it's all so simple.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

soon2bmumzy  (08-01-2013)

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    We will have to agree to disagree then. I believe anyone that's renting can buy particularly with the first home owners grant.
    Break it down for me because I am genuinely interested to know.
    How would a single mother with 2 children on welfare afford to buy a home instead of continuing to rent?

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to London For This Useful Post:

SoThisIsLove  (08-01-2013),Stiflers Mom  (08-01-2013),Tildy  (02-02-2013),~ElectricPink~  (08-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    You are kidding right?

For us to buy it would cost us more than our rent just for a place that would need alot of work - that costs money. Then you have council rates, maintenance etc. Not to mention a healthy deposit

With rentals all you have to cover is the rent. For us to buy the place we are renting i would be back at work full time just so we could make ends meet. By renting we can happily live off one wage which allows me to stay at home rather than have our kids in full time care - which is something neither myself nor my dh wants.

It really seems as tho you have no idea, sorry.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default pets and renting

I don't think you have any idea about middle Australia. Many people on minimum wage can not afford a mortgage, even for the cheapest house.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

~ElectricPink~  (08-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default pets and renting

As an agent for the last 24 years I disagree that everyone can buy, in Sydney you have no hope unless you are earning a good regular income, there is no first home buyers grant here any more ( unless you buy new) the banks are incredibly tough
    Now on who and how much they will lend to

my sister is now a single parent and is renting for the first time in 15 years as no bank will lend her money ( even with $100,000 deposit) and yes she could move to a cheaper area but her work and family are here and her daughter is her top priority

I have some tenants paying $1000 a week in rent for beautiful homes they could never afford to buy and in an area they want to raise their family in

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

SoThisIsLove  (08-01-2013),Stiflers Mom  (08-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    We will definitely have to agree to disagree then, because that is an extremely naive viewpoint that doesn't take so many factors into account.

Especially the fact that not everyone who is renting is eligible for the first home owners grant!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hmm....

Yes...

Not everyone can afford to save a deposit...

And even so... Being abke to pay rent doesnt mean you can afford to pay a mortgage

Then the other fact of getting approved for a home loan....

Single not working parents can afford to pay rent obviously so why doesnt everyone own a home? because apparently its that easy.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to missymoo9 For This Useful Post:

SoThisIsLove  (08-01-2013)