+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 30 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 293
  1. #181
    London's Avatar
    London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    11,392
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked
    4,936
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    What has staying at home with kids got to do with renting over having a mortgage? If one can afford to pay rent then surely they can afford to start somewhere by buying a home. Whether they have kids or not is irrelevant.
    Im sorry Kimberlygal, I dont mean to be offensive but you dont seem to have any idea. To assume any renter can afford to buy really is misinformed and misguided..and well, wrong. Its fine that that is your opinion or thought, but plenty of us renters are here to tell you that it is simply not correct.

  2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to London For This Useful Post:

    atomicmama  (08-01-2013),soon2bmumzy  (08-01-2013),~ElectricPink~  (08-01-2013)

  3. #182
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    The Kimberley WA
    Posts
    4,622
    Thanks
    916
    Thanked
    1,180
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Not always. Sometimes people have to rent out their 'homes' because they temporarily have to move away for work. And sometimes rental income doesn't always cover the mortgage. So it's done at a financial loss.

    It's these types of landlords I really feel sorry for when a tenant trashes their home of leaves them with damage from an unauthorised pet.
    Exactly. Often it is done at a financial loss. We no longer have a rental because we need one or want one. We have had bad tenants twice now which is off putting. We have one because we need to have a house in the city in case we need to move back there which is entirely possible in the future when the boys go to high school.

  4. #183
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    The Kimberley WA
    Posts
    4,622
    Thanks
    916
    Thanked
    1,180
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by London View Post
    Im sorry Kimberlygal, I dont mean to be offensive but you dont seem to have any idea. To assume any renter can afford to buy really is misinformed and misguided..and well, wrong. Its fine that that is your opinion or thought, but plenty of us renters are here to tell you that it is simply not correct.
    We will have to agree to disagree then. I believe anyone that's renting can buy particularly with the first home owners grant.

  5. #184
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3,431
    Thanks
    1,018
    Thanked
    2,081
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

    Default pets and renting

    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    What has staying at home with kids got to do with renting over having a mortgage? If one can afford to pay rent then surely they can afford to start somewhere by buying a home. Whether they have kids or not is irrelevant.
    Umm that's not everyone's reality. Some families go down to one income while their children are small so the mum or dad can stay home and not go back to work. Therefore they can't afford a mortgage, or they can't afford to save a deposit. Some people have sick or high needs children that one parent stays home with, therefore they can't work and live on one income.

    I find it very strange you think it's all so simple.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

    soon2bmumzy  (08-01-2013)

  7. #185
    London's Avatar
    London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    11,392
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked
    4,936
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    We will have to agree to disagree then. I believe anyone that's renting can buy particularly with the first home owners grant.
    Break it down for me because I am genuinely interested to know.
    How would a single mother with 2 children on welfare afford to buy a home instead of continuing to rent?

  8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to London For This Useful Post:

    SoThisIsLove  (08-01-2013),Stiflers Mom  (08-01-2013),Tildy  (02-02-2013),~ElectricPink~  (08-01-2013)

  9. #186
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    4,953
    Thanks
    3,680
    Thanked
    1,949
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    What has staying at home with kids got to do with renting over having a mortgage? If one can afford to pay rent then surely they can afford to start somewhere by buying a home. Whether they have kids or not is irrelevant.
    You are kidding right?

    For us to buy it would cost us more than our rent just for a place that would need alot of work - that costs money. Then you have council rates, maintenance etc. Not to mention a healthy deposit

    With rentals all you have to cover is the rent. For us to buy the place we are renting i would be back at work full time just so we could make ends meet. By renting we can happily live off one wage which allows me to stay at home rather than have our kids in full time care - which is something neither myself nor my dh wants.

    It really seems as tho you have no idea, sorry.

  10. #187
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3,431
    Thanks
    1,018
    Thanked
    2,081
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

    Default pets and renting

    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    We will have to agree to disagree then. I believe anyone that's renting can buy particularly with the first home owners grant.
    I don't think you have any idea about middle Australia. Many people on minimum wage can not afford a mortgage, even for the cheapest house.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

    ~ElectricPink~  (08-01-2013)

  12. #188
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    10,306
    Thanks
    3,126
    Thanked
    6,314
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

    Default pets and renting

    As an agent for the last 24 years I disagree that everyone can buy, in Sydney you have no hope unless you are earning a good regular income, there is no first home buyers grant here any more ( unless you buy new) the banks are incredibly tough
    Now on who and how much they will lend to

    my sister is now a single parent and is renting for the first time in 15 years as no bank will lend her money ( even with $100,000 deposit) and yes she could move to a cheaper area but her work and family are here and her daughter is her top priority

    I have some tenants paying $1000 a week in rent for beautiful homes they could never afford to buy and in an area they want to raise their family in

  13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

    SoThisIsLove  (08-01-2013),Stiflers Mom  (08-01-2013)

  14. #189
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    7,053
    Thanks
    6,263
    Thanked
    5,481
    Reviews
    4
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    We will have to agree to disagree then. I believe anyone that's renting can buy particularly with the first home owners grant.
    We will definitely have to agree to disagree then, because that is an extremely naive viewpoint that doesn't take so many factors into account.

    Especially the fact that not everyone who is renting is eligible for the first home owners grant!

  15. #190
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,147
    Thanks
    126
    Thanked
    159
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hmm....

    Yes...


    Not everyone can afford to save a deposit...

    And even so... Being abke to pay rent doesnt mean you can afford to pay a mortgage

    Then the other fact of getting approved for a home loan....

    Single not working parents can afford to pay rent obviously so why doesnt everyone own a home? because apparently its that easy.

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to missymoo9 For This Useful Post:

    SoThisIsLove  (08-01-2013)


 

Similar Threads

  1. for those renting with pets...
    By Emi in forum House & Gardens
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 19-06-2012, 19:31
  2. Your Pets
    By Love Britt in forum General Chat
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 16-05-2012, 10:41
  3. Zhu Zhu Pets
    By MissPoss in forum General Chat
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 18-04-2012, 03:09

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Tambo Teddies
Visit our online store and select your individually handmade natural sheepskin teddy bear. Our soft and loveable bears come in a range of styles and colours. Created in Outback Queensland each bear is unique individual. 100% Australian made!
sales & new stuffsee all
Pea Pods
Buy 2 Award Winning Pea Pods Reusable One Size Nappies for only $38 (in your choice of colours) and receive a FREE roll of Bamboo Liners. Don't miss out, we don't usually have discounts on the nappies, so grab this special offer!
Special Offer! Save $12
featured supporter
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!