+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default pets and renting

I certainly never said owners must be good with money. I believe my point ( to those saying home ownership is never going to happen) is that if you look outside the square it actually could be within reach. I guess my attempt at motivation and optimism was lost.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default pets and renting

Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    Lol.. The argument for their right to have a dog living in a house that stipulates 'no pets' is mostly emotional.
    The Residential Tenancies Act actually has a clause the prohibits landlords from interfering with the tenants 'quiet enjoyment of the property.'

In Victoria at least, the argument has been successfully made at VCAT that a ban on pets is in breach of that clause.

While I fully accept there's limits on what you can do as a tenant and completely understand why landlords - especially those who have been burned in the past - don't want pets on the property, I do agree with the above argument.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default pets and renting

I don't think landlords should have to allow pets if they don't want to. A landlord usually picks tenants from a large number of applications and whether or not they have pets may well be a significant deciding factor.

We are huge dog lovers but the property we own is too small for a dog so we have to wait until we can afford a bigger place. I don't see how that's any different from waiting until you can either find a pet friendly rental or afford your own home. Both of which I know can take a long time.

The house belongs to the landlord. You can't just do what you want because you want to.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

Blessedwith3boys  (07-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default pets and renting

Quote Originally Posted by ChickyBee View Post
    The Residential Tenancies Act actually has a clause the prohibits landlords from interfering with the tenants 'quiet enjoyment of the property.'

In Victoria at least, the argument has been successfully made at VCAT that a ban on pets is in breach of that clause.

While I fully accept there's limits on what you can do as a tenant and completely understand why landlords - especially those who have been burned in the past - don't want pets on the property, I do agree with the above argument.
    Thanks for highlighting this.

This landlord for one, has the utmost respect for the 'quiet enjoyment' clause. There are massive renter/landlord stereotypes which are perpetuated, often by media. The tenant doesn't own the house but whilst renting it is their home, I treat our tenanted house as our tenants home, I'm lucky that she also does the same and as such cares and looks after the property.

I'm really grateful to have such a great person and would never want her to feel she didn't have 'quiet enjoyment'.

I think tenant/landlord relationships can benefit from more give/give rather than take/take on both sides.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Having been on both sides of the fence (landlord and renter) I can kind of see both arguments.

When I rented, I had 2 cats and it was a nightmare finding somewhere that would allow them. In the end I rented somewhere that allowed 1 cat, and I didn't disclose the other one. My cats were both 'senior', and did not cause any damage. I had to have the carpets cleaned and a pest spray when I left (because of the 1 cat), so I figured that the 'extra' cat wouldn't make any difference.

As a landlord, I'd hate it if someone did that! I think many landlords try to do the right thing by their tenants, and often go above and beyond the minimum requirements to make the house a nice place in which to live. If I found out someone had lied to me/ tried to deceive me I would be very upset, and would probably look out for a new tenant.

Also, if I had spent money on furnishings (carpet/ nice floors) and someone brought an animal in that marked/ damaged them, then I would be upset about that too. Animals can also leave a smell in the house that is hard to get rid of.

I wouldn't (now) feel comfortable about sneaking pets in, if I were renting. When I had the sneaky extra cat I was a lot younger, and a bit more blase about things than I am now. It hadn't occurred to me at the time to look at it from the landlord's perspective. If I were to rent now, I would look for somewhere that allowed pets.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Plan2bamummy View Post
    I certainly never said owners must be good with money. I believe my point ( to those saying home ownership is never going to happen) is that if you look outside the square it actually could be within reach. I guess my attempt at motivation and optimism was lost.
    I believe so too. People could start in a less desirable area that's affordable rather than want the dream house in an expensive area. This is how we started. We were both on low incomes then but we got what we could afford at the time. The suburb boomed over the years and the property made us a fortune. We never had the first homers grant handout either.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonade View Post
    I haven't read the whole thread, but from what I've read I'm a bit shocked at the attitudes towards people renting. I've rented and owned property's and yes the house and land belongs to the owner, but tenants aren't second class citizens! They are paying you rent. You are not doing them a favour by letting them live there!

I'm not condoning lying or breaking rules, but renters have families and lives that sometimes include pets too they shouldn't have to go without especially if they have proven to be good tenants.

Just my opinion!
    actually the landlord could be doing them a favour by letting a tenant live in their house, the tenant could very well be living on the street otherwise!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014

Default Re: pets and renting

Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    actually the landlord could be doing them a favour by letting a tenant live in their house, the tenant could very well be living on the street otherwise!
    Well i guess the tenant is doing the landlord a favour by paying their mortgage for them. If there was no tenant, the house would sit there vacant, costing the owners money.
    Without the tenant, the owner could very well lose their house!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

10. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

ChickyBee  (07-01-2013),jez  (07-01-2013),LifeInShadesOfGrey  (07-01-2013),peanutmonkey  (07-01-2013),Purple Lily  (07-01-2013),shelle65  (07-01-2013),Shoopuf  (07-01-2013),SoThisIsLove  (07-01-2013)

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post
    Well i guess the tenant is doing the landlord a favour by paying their mortgage for them. If there was no tenant, the house would sit there vacant, costing the owners money.
    Without the tenant, the owner could very well lose their house!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub
    This.
    The owners arent being forced to rent....its their choice to. The owner cant blame the tenant for 'needing' to rent their house out. Doesnt make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Myztik View Post
    Yeah wow thanks for that. Nice to know my priorities are screwed because I can't afford to buy a house :/
    She did clarify later on to say that most people dont want to buy small and expect to buy the big 4x2 straight away. I too was hugely offended by her first post.

Mod-Myztik is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    My April Fools baby
    Winner 2009- Biggest Post-Awards Whinger
    Winner 2010- Biggest Computer Nerd

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Default pets and renting

Yeah I saw the other posts after I replied. Bit of a sensitive topic for me atm lol.