+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default pets and renting

Bad tenants would totally suck and I really do feel for people who have been burnt by people damaging a property with pets. I think a pet bond should prob be around $500 on top of bond and perhaps a stat dec signed to say that the tenant would be liable for any extra cost incurred.

There are all kind of pet owners. Our cat was clean, flea treated and we got the carpets done every 6 months even if they didn't need it. I don't see it as a big deal for me as I know my cat never did any damage (because he mainly just snoozes) and after 4 rental properties all with excellent inspection reports and bonds back no question. Yes it's a lie but I don't see the big deal when there were no traces left of our furry friend when we moved out.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

jez  (06-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Just a bit of overdramatisation there. .

Let me clarify: .. I think offences would be on a similar level to the deceipt of the landlord. ie if a person flouts one minor law/rule (illegal pets) they are more likely to flout other minor laws/rules (eg fudge centrelink forms). If a person flouts one major law (domestic abuse) they are more likely to flout other major laws (rape).
    Hardly... lying to centerlink can land you in prison not a risk a sane person would take. I don't think that its a minor thing. You are comparing criminal activity to hiding a cat.
    There is just no logic in that for me.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Janesmum123 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews

Default pets and renting

Quote Originally Posted by Janesmum123 View Post
    Hardly... lying to centerlink can land you in prison not a risk a sane person would take. I don't think that its a minor thing. You are comparing criminal activity to hiding a cat.
    There is just no logic in that for me.
    I'm going to go down to centrelink with my cat, to see what I can scam.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

HarvestMoon  (06-01-2013),mama and her little bearxxx  (06-01-2013),mamamel89  (06-01-2013),Mod-Zeddie  (06-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default pets and renting

Quote Originally Posted by jez View Post
    The whole 'you are renting someone else's home' thing doesn't sit well with me I'm afraid. I am renting someone's house as a business transaction. Once you rent out a house you need to take the emotion out of it as its no longer your 'home' its your business.
    I think both tenants and landlords deserve more rights actually. The contract for renting needs to be more extensive and more tailored to individual agreements.
    Exactly it's a business transaction, so the business owner (landlord) has the right to put in the contract ( lease) items that are for the best interest for business asset ( the property).

As for the renters that laugh at the comment about "buy your own place" get your priorities right DH and I brought a 2 bed 1 bath unit, we then stepped up and brought a 3 bed 2 bath townhouse. We hope in 10 years we will have our McMansion.
    I might add that those purchases are on average wages.
    We have moved back to our little unit to save $$ and yes we are planning to have atleast 2 kids in this unit.
    I think the problem is many people want the big house and aren't willing to do the hard yards

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Plan2bamummy View Post
    Exactly it's a business transaction, so the business owner (landlord) has the right to put in the contract ( lease) items that are for the best interest for business asset ( the property).

As for the renters that laugh at the comment about "buy your own place" get your priorities right DH and I brought a 2 bed 1 bath unit, we then stepped up and brought a 3 bed 2 bath townhouse. We hope in 10 years we will have our McMansion.
    We have moved back to our little unit to save $$ and yes we are planning to have atleast 2 kids in this unit.
    I think the problem is many people want the big house and aren't willing to do the hard yards
    The problem is over priced housing.
    Rent in my area is half of what mortgage repayments would be and that's with a deposit.
    Sorry but when a 3 bedroom old house goes for 450k up its hardly wanting extravagance.
    And no it's not a fancy area just a working class place 45 min from the cbd.
    10 years ago it was easy to make money from property, times are changing and not everyone can move into a 1 bedroom unit.
    Young families with no previous property are doing it really hard these days.
    Comparing average house prices vs wages 20 years ago and now it's a huge difference. You could get a house (nothing fancy) for three times your annual wage as now it's between 7-9 times. (comparing average wages)

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Janesmum123 For This Useful Post:

ChickyBee  (07-01-2013),mama and her little bearxxx  (06-01-2013),SoThisIsLove  (07-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: pets and renting

My partner and I own a rental property. It is leased to a single mother who had five children living in the house...plus a dog...BEST TENANT ever!!!

Pets are an incredibly important part of life, for most people...I don't see why people who rent should miss out simply because they cannot afford a mortgage...of course, there need to be some rules/principles re pet ownership in rental properties...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Albert01 For This Useful Post:

Janesmum123  (06-01-2013),mamamel89  (06-01-2013),peanutmonkey  (06-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I agree that as a business you can put things in to protect your assests. My issue is with the emotion and comments from PP about it being 'someone elses home' and 'not the renters home'.
    As a landlord it your building but MY HOME. i just get frustrated when mutual respect is not shown. Tenants deserve respect too.

However your bottom paragraph is entitled and narrow minded. You don't know others situations or what their 'priorities are'. We owned a house that we built from scratch . I am now a renter due to financial reasons caused by spending $$ on fertility treatment and an expensive operation. I will need several more of these operations in my lifetime. My priorities were to my health and my family. That does not mean I am financially stupid or that i don't deserve rights as a tenant. I do believe that owning a pet should be allowed more freely in junction with a more extensive lease contract and penalties for damage. BUT as a business that's what you have insurance for.Business entails risk.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jez For This Useful Post:

mama and her little bearxxx  (06-01-2013),mamamel89  (06-01-2013)

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    This has got to be the most funniest thing I have read in a long time. To insinuate that people who say they cant buy houses just 'dont have their priorities right' is insulting and extremely naive. Every persons situation is different and you are wrong to assume that just because you did it means that anyone else can do it.

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to London For This Useful Post:

Amira  (06-01-2013),HarvestMoon  (06-01-2013),mama and her little bearxxx  (06-01-2013),mamamel89  (06-01-2013),SoThisIsLove  (07-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default pets and renting

Quote Originally Posted by Albert01 View Post
    My partner and I own a rental property. It is leased to a single mother who had five children living in the house...plus a dog...BEST TENANT ever!!!

Pets are an incredibly important part of life, for most people...I don't see why people who rent should miss out simply because they cannot afford a mortgage...of course, there need to be some rules/principles re pet ownership in rental properties...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub
    Nicely said

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Chillies For This Useful Post:

Happy2be3  (06-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default pets and renting

Sorry should clarify, ( after re reading see how that's misconstrued) I mean alot of people ( not aimed at anyone on here) want the huge 4 bed, 2 bath designer kitchen etc house and obviously this is very expensive. What I meant was you need to start from small and work your way up if budget is limited.