+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 30 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My opinion is thatcwhen you're capable of purchasing your own home then you can have as many pets as you please. But while you are renting then you are bound by the conditions of your lease. Even if you rent a pet friendly place, you need to consider the possibility that one day you'll have yo move on. Its part of being a grown up entering into a legally binding contract. Considering the future is also part of being a responsible pet owner.

Is it the worst crime in the world? No. But it does mean you have no right to complain if your landlord breaks any conditions themselves.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to WineTime For This Useful Post:

BlissedOut  (06-01-2013),MsTruth  (07-01-2013),squirrelex  (06-01-2013),wannawannabe  (06-01-2013)

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    spot on! Seems to be a lack of respect in this thread. Tennants need to remember, you are renting someone else's home, look after it and have some respect but always bare in mind.... it is not your property!
    I totally agree and think pet owners should be more responsible for their pets.

I read your last post and that absolutely sucks about your rental. Its disgusting behaviour and its people like that that ruin the reputation and chance for the rest of us pet owners who need a home to live in with our families.

I wonder if owners who say they wouldnt allow pets, WOULD allow pets if there was a stronger clause in place for the damage....like a higher bond and the tenant paying for professional repairs should the damage be higher than the bond (which it is most of the time).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rlpreston View Post
    That's me. I've never let the dog in the house! I've also never had any bond retained or had to return to a property after exiting to rectify anything.

I will say, if I ever owned a rental property I would allow pets but would expect the tenants to repair/clean any and everything that was soiled/damaged by the animal. Just as I would if the tenant or their children/friends did damage.
    Yes expecting it to happen is one thing but more often than not it doesn't happen and us home owners are left to fix and pay for the damage.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default pets and renting

Quote Originally Posted by Janesmum123 View Post
    By some Vicparks standards I'm morally on par with a serial killer so I wouldn't take her comments too seriously.
    Just a bit of overdramatisation there. .

Let me clarify: .. I think offences would be on a similar level to the deceipt of the landlord. ie if a person flouts one minor law/rule (illegal pets) they are more likely to flout other minor laws/rules (eg fudge centrelink forms). If a person flouts one major law (domestic abuse) they are more likely to flout other major laws (rape).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by London View Post

I read your last post and that absolutely sucks about your rental. Its disgusting behaviour and its people like that that ruin the reputation and chance for the rest of us pet owners who need a home to live in with our families.

I wonder if owners who say they wouldnt allow pets, WOULD allow pets if there was a stronger clause in place for the damage....like a higher bond and the tenant paying for professional repairs should the damage be higher than the bond (which it is most of the time).
    Personally I think there needs to be a major overhaul of the system to better protect the property owner from being left out of pocket in such circumstances. Not only did our tennants let their dogs in the house doing damage they themselves also put holes in the walls etc. When tennants don't pay their rent they can't just be evicted, it's a long drawn out process. We were owed nearly 3mths of rent as well as the damage to our house by the time the tennants were evicted. The bond was withheld but didn't cover half the damage. I also might add we had 2 lots of bad tennants in our time renting, it wasn't just a 1 off experience.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default pets and renting

Perhaps I would allow pets if the bond was high enough to cover a wide range of potential damage (eg $4,000). Tenants Signing something saying they would fix damage wouldn't mean jack to me as once someone leaves they can bugger off and/or cry poor.

Or maybe not, I'm not sure... I have a thing about fleas...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default pets and renting

The whole 'you are renting someone else's home' thing doesn't sit well with me I'm afraid. I am renting someone's house as a business transaction. Once you rent out a house you need to take the emotion out of it as its no longer your 'home' its your business.
    I think both tenants and landlords deserve more rights actually. The contract for renting needs to be more extensive and more tailored to individual agreements.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jez For This Useful Post:

HarvestMoon  (06-01-2013),mama and her little bearxxx  (06-01-2013),Mulva  (06-01-2013)

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Perhaps I would allow pets if the bond was high enough to cover a wide range of potential damage (eg $4,000). Tenants Signing something saying they would fix damage wouldn't mean jack to me as once someone leaves they can bugger off and/or cry poor.

Or maybe not, I'm not sure... I have a thing about fleas...
    $4000 is a bit steep....most people rent because they cant afford to buy and dont have a massive savings account to pull money from. Most have to borrow money to get the bond together as an initial outlay.

Rentals are soooo in demand that Im surprised alot of owners arent doing their own private contracts and getting rid of real estates, so they can set their own stipulations and conditions.

We hate the area we live in now...its safe and brand new etc. but we are too far from where we ideally want to be. Only reason we are staying put is because the house is owned by a family member so my pets are allowed and we have a mutual trust to take care of the house. Renting is the absolute pits of you have a bad property manager or a bad tenant...it does go both ways.

Owners need to realise their brand new home has just been lived in...it is going to have some damage and wont be in show home condition. Tenants need to remember that someone spent alot of money for that house and its technically being borrowed.
    Im a very house proud person though, so I think thats why I am getting a bit too invested in this debate. My house is clean and my pets are well cared for and are part of our family and I have enough respect to properly repair any damage caused during my lease........I just didnt think that I was part of a pet owner and renter minority.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:

Default pets and renting

$4000 is a bit steep....most people rent because they cant afford to buy and dont have a massive savings account to pull money from. Most have to borrow money to get the bond together as an initial outlay.

Rentals are soooo in demand that Im surprised alot of owners arent doing their own private contracts and getting rid of real estates, so they can set their own stipulations and conditions.

We hate the area we live in now...its safe and brand new etc. but we are too far from where we ideally want to be. Only reason we are staying put is because the house is owned by a family member so my pets are allowed and we have a mutual trust to take care of the house. Renting is the absolute pits of you have a bad property manager or a bad tenant...it does go both ways.

Owners need to realise their brand new home has just been lived in...it is going to have some damage and wont be in show home condition. Tenants need to remember that someone spent alot of money for that house and its technically being borrowed.
    Im a very house proud person though, so I think thats why I am getting a bit too invested in this debate. My house is clean and my pets are well cared for and are part of our family and I have enough respect to properly repair any damage caused during my lease........I just didnt think that I was part of a pet owner and renter minority.
    Yes $4,000 is steep. As I mentioned before it would need to be enough to cover a worst case scenario. A token $400 as a gesture of good will wouldn't be enough to calm my worries.

I have no doubt you are a responsible pet owner who takes care of her house. Unfortunately, especially if you are renting to strangers there is no guarantee you'll get such good pets/pet owners.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default pets and renting

Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Just a bit of overdramatisation there. .

Let me clarify: .. I think offences would be on a similar level to the deceipt of the landlord. ie if a person flouts one minor law/rule (illegal pets) they are more likely to flout other minor laws/rules (eg fudge centrelink forms). If a person flouts one major law (domestic abuse) they are more likely to flout other major laws (rape).
    I've kept a cat in secret (never did any damage and the house was kept spotless, perfect rental record) but now you've given me some ideas. I've never received any centrelink payments in my life but might head down next week and see if I can scam some money.