+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default pets and renting

ok....

So ive wanted a dog for a very long time.

Problem is im renting and will be for a few more years at least.

Have any of had a dog and rented where you arent supposed to have pets?? How did you do this like inspection wise? Would you ever do this???

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014

Default Re: pets and renting

I don't have a dog. I know someone who does though and she gets her sons to take them for drives during inspections.
    I have ferrets that i'm not allowed. They go to a friends place during inspections. They are caged part of the time though so probably easier to hide.
    We always had cats growing up and my mother would just pretend they were a neighbours.
    I think a dog is harder to hide but i guess it depends what sort you are wanting to get as well.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default pets and renting

I would ask permission and offer a pet bond.

I don't think that sneeking a pet into a home where one is not allowed is a good idea.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LifeInShadesOfGrey For This Useful Post:

Blessedwith3boys  (06-01-2013),Happy2be3  (06-01-2013)

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I have had a shameful amount of experience with hiding pets while renting. Ive had dogs in every house Ive rented since I moved out 13yrs ago and only 2 of those houses have allowed pets.

If you do decide to hide it, organise for the dog to spend the day at a friends house for the inspection day and take all the pet things with you in the car. I used to go visit my dad and take all my pets to his house for the entire day just to be sure the inspection was done.
    Last edited by London; 05-01-2013 at 23:19.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to London For This Useful Post:

bronnybear  (06-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Please don't try to hide a pet. When (not if) your property manager finds out they won't be happy. Its a breach if you aren't allowed pets and get one anyway.

Approach your pm. Ask for permission. Like a pp said offer a pet bond. Most of us are nice and will try to help out.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dancingchipmunk For This Useful Post:

Blessedwith3boys  (06-01-2013),Disbride  (06-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default pets and renting

We have pets here and come inside but they are supposed to be kept outside only. I pack all the dogs stuff into the crate in the back room and say it is storage because the roof in my shed leaks (which it does) and I have lost stuff to mould. I also have extra pets than are what are on the lease, they just go to work with me and my rats go to a friends place.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: pets and renting

You can't do pet bonds in NSW, but definitely ask first, even tell the agent that you'll be moving out if you can't keep a dog there, if they want to keep you as a tenant they'll try and get the approval for you.

Good luck

Sent from my GT-I9305 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Default pets and renting

We've always had cats at rentals where we weren't supposed to. We would come home from work and take them for a drive/to a friends house during inspections.

It's a bit harder with a dog though, and I wouldn't have a dog at my current rental.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Im renting direct from the owner not through a real estate agency. The only contact we have with the owner is if theres something like electrical problems..which we hvent had.. We dont actually have inspections.. Wece lived here two years and havent had one.. Im not saying we wont but thats how it has been.. He never contacts me. Im not saying this is how slack he is i should have a pet.. Im just explaining my situation..

i dont think he would agree to add a dog to the lease. I had a cat for a year i had lived here and there wasnt an issue.. I know dogs are different.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default pets and renting

I'm happy for tenants to have a cat however wouldn't say no if they asked for more pets (although, being a unit, I would think they were a bit unrealistic if they wanted a German shepherd) but I'd like to know. If you've been there for a while and have been a decent tenant (and you make it clear you'll get carpets professionally cleaned if pet comes inside, damages paid for etc) then why not?