+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    You've already gotten some great advice I just wanted to say that I have breastfed all 3 of my children with only a handful of issues I had mastitis once and a blocked ducts twice both were easily treated and I got some great help from the aba. I would have a look at the risks of FF before deciding to go that way from the beginning.

What should I know about infant formula?
    The Risks of Not Breastfeeding for Mothers and Infants

2. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

meme  (06-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Bubhub Blogger
    oh, can I just say that the changes to your nipples aren't that bad.

This may be TMI but my current guy loves them like they are. Well... loved them as they were. He's been out of the country for 3months and they've gone back to 'normal' in that time. It will be interesting to see his reaction, but even I liked the look of them more while BFing. They were just more... defined.

FF complaints...
    Cost
    Having to make bottles when out
    hearing baby crying while preparing bottles
    being caught out without supplies
    cleaning
    Usually have to stop and sit down to feed/sort bottles etc
    Can be more difficult to feed while walking, using computer etc as it takes two hands
    Risk of contaminants
    Lacking of antibodies
    Is same constitution in all weather/heath needs (your breastmilk adapts to needs)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    As pp have said. Give bf a go and then if you decide it isn't for you or bubs then you can switch to ff, but if you start out ff then decide you want to bf you have to go through the whole process of relactating which I've never looked into myself but I suppose is not guaranteed to be successful.

In regards to the horror stories, tell people thank you for their concern but you don't need to hear them.

Yes bf is tough in the beginning but it does get better. In the early days my nipples were red raw, my boobs were HUGE and hard all the time, they leaked constantly, I had blocked ducts twice. But you know what, that feeling you get when bubs is suckling and you are so close makes it all worth it. Not once have I felt like giving up because of these set backs. I have however felt like giving up at times because I was so tired and I just wanted someone else to take over. But even if they could I don't know if I would have been able to sleep if he was unsettled. If he is upset I find it hard not to take over, even from dh.

ds is now 10.5 weeks and we are still bf. my nipples no longer hurt, my boobs have settled so the only time they feel huge is early morning when he has gone 7 plus hours since feeding and even then it's not uncomfortable. This has been like this for several weeks now. And the newest thing is my boobs don't seem to leak profusely now. Have only been wearing breast pads at night and even then they aren't completely drenched in the morning anymore.

Just a couple tips from my personal experience if you choose to breastfeed:

- believe you can do it
    - don't have formula in the house as a back up (it makes it too easy to give up during the night and you may end up regretting it in the morning).
    - don't give a bottle of formula at night to make them sleep longer (DS feeds around 6pm, bed around 7pm and sleeps anywhere from 2am to 5am without waking for a feed. He is purely breastfed, so honestly I don't see how a bottle of formula can get them to sleep longer nor would I want him to, their bellies are too small)
    - when people tell you, remember there is always formula, respond politely with, yes thank you I am aware of that but we are both enjoying bfing right now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I breastfed both of my kids. I particularly liked it because it is FREE, on tap at any time and once the initial newborn stage passes it's incredibly quick and easy.

I breastfed my first for 3y10m and DD has practically weaned now at 15 months. Breastfeeding is great if you can do it.

My advice is that if you're going to breastfeed, read a lot and prepare yourself for potential problems so that you have strategies for overcoming them. I had some attachment issues with DS at first, and it was really painful, but we got through it. Second time around, with DD, things were way easier and it was a breeze from the beginning.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Not everyone has problems breastfeeding. I can't give birth naturally (physically impossible), we've had massive trouble getting pregnant (3 x IVF babies and lots of IVF failures) but breastfeeding is really easy for me. No mastitis, no bleeding or cracked nipples, no dramas at all.

Just because other women have trouble doesn't mean you will. The best thing you can do is to be prepared - and you've had a lot of great advice already on this.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Izy  (06-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Don't think FFing and BFing via expressing are your only options. Just normal BFing is pretty uneventful for lots of women. Sure, some women have trouble, but there are heaps that don't. With my ds I had to express initially (first 8 days) as he was having trouble feeding (he was in special care for breathing/jaundice issues) but then he fed until 12 months without formula top ups. He did need medication from 4 weeks in a bottle 3 times a day mixed with expressed breast milk and I found it VERY hard. I struggled to keep the bottles clean & ready to go at a moments notice (he had to have the medicine before a BF otherwise he wouldn't necessarily want it). I was very glad I didn't need to worry about FFing particularly overnight.

My dd was a super easy feeder from day 1, often finishing a feed in 10 minutes even at a few days old. She was super efficient. I'm still BFing her at 15 months and I'm doing a very half hearted attempt at weaning her as BFing is just so easy compared with milk or formula in a cup/whatever.

I never had attachment issues with either one or bleeding or nipple thrush or mastitis. My nipples changed when I was pregnant, but it's not something I've really noticed as an issue with BFing. Don't let other people's negative experiences alone put you off BFing.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Formula or breastfeeding?

I have a 2.5 week old dd who I am b-ding. She had always been a bit of a difficult feeder and at the moment we are dealing with oral and nipple thrush and sucking issues and yet I still would not give it away.
    The bond is incredible, watching them suck away as they stare into your eyes with their little hand on your breast like they are trying to stop it getting away, its amazing. And feeding to sleep is a massive plus.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Grebbeci For This Useful Post:

Donnab739  (06-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My firstborn was formula fed and given EBM. He is very close to me.

My current bub is formula fed as well as BF. I must say that the feeling is very different from bub is in my arms bfg. It's amazing feeling having bub in my arms nursing...like Grebbeci described, it's wonderful watching little bub so upclose and stroking his ears, head, looking at his eyelashes, touching his little feet, holding his little hands...nothing in this world can exchange for that.

When I stop bfg, I will certainly miss it. I am so glad I didnt given up at various points during these 3 months! I am going to bf as long as bub doesnt want to say bye bye to my boobs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by btmac View Post
    I have now done both. With my first son I untied bf and due to slack of knowledge and support - and people telling me I should just ff, I gave up bf when he was 4 weeks. This time my LO is 10.5 weeks and exclusively bf and going strong. Fromm perspective here are the pros & cons of both:

Formula
    Pros
    - someone else can feed bub for you to give you a break
    - knowing exactly how much they are taking

Cons
    - endless cleaning and sterilising
    - chance of contamination
    - having bub cry or become fully awake while waiting for a bottle to be made
    - having to try 6 different formulas before finding one that didn't make him vomit/constipated/the runs only to have to do it all over again when he was 6 months old!
    - fear of running out of bottles when out
    - worry about what he is actually eating
    - finding somewhere to heat the bottle
    - can over feed

Breastfeeding
    Pros
    - convenient, sterile and always available at the right temperature
    - perfectly digestible has never made him ill
    - feeding to sleep (x 100000000000 you get my point!)
    - using boob to settle
    - can't over feed a bf baby
    - the bond you form with them, it's your time with bub and yours alone

Cons
    - first couple of weeks are hard
    - difficulty expressing (for me anyway but sister never had a problem)

It's up to you and whatever you do I am sure it will be right for your baby.
    Good info here.

I also had tremendous trouble with firstborn due to LACK OF KNOWLEDGE. So equipping yourself with BFG knowledge is very important. And even with doing so for my second bub, I still fell. So ended up bfg with suppy issues and topping up with formula, but still bfg and will continue to do so as long as I can (even though it is really troublesome to half BF and half formula feed).

BUT I just want to add one point. Dont ever let anyone or yourself make you feel guilty if you go the formula route. Sometimes after trying all you can, bfg may still not work out. Even up till now (3 months), I always get this question 'Are your bfg??' from every one I meet (friends or strangers!). I dont understand why I keep getting this question. It seems that if I dont BF, I am guilty of some big sin. But I dont want to be BFg cos of everybody out there telling me to. I want to do it and it is between bub and me. Make a well-informed decision yourself and dont regret it.
    Last edited by Mom2TwoDSs; 07-01-2013 at 10:37.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mom2TwoDSs View Post
    I always get this question 'Are your bfg??' from every one I meet (friends or strangers!). I dont understand why I keep getting this question.
    oh yes i still get asked this question and my DD is 6 months! ive had the dentist receptionist ask me, the lady doing my eyebrows, when I had bub with me getting a pedicure, the lady sitting next to me at the drs....

No i'm not breastfeeding, i started formula at 2 weeks what does it matter to them? So strange people i dont know feel the need to ask how i'm feeding my baby. At least she is being fed unlike the thousands of australian children living in poverty without food everyday....

To the op, I will definetly try breast feeding next time and try a lot harder but happy with my decision to formula feed this time around. You will know when the time comes what feels right for you.