+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: Formula or breastfeeding?

I'll preface this by saying that I tried to BF and was very upset when it didn't work out. BF is thought to be better for your child, and so the following is my personal experience rather than a recommendation.

I preferred FF. I found it more convenient than BF, as it didn't involve my body. When BF I had to wear clothes that allowed it, and breast pads, and I felt sore and moist in that area all the time. Although FF meant preparing bottles, I found that very easy and quick, and liked that it didn't impact on my body. DH loved that he could feed DD too, and she was much happier on formula. It also meant we had no problems with leaving her with my parents to babysit when needed, and I could eat and drink as I wanted too.

I'm saying this as someone for whom BF didn't work out, and I'm sure if all went smoothly with it then some of the above wouldn't apply. I intend to try to BF again next time, but last time FF worked better for all of us.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using BubHub

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Guest654 For This Useful Post:

Alicia92  (06-01-2013),babyla  (06-01-2013),Mom2TwoDSs  (06-01-2013),Purple Lily  (06-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Formula or breastfeeding?

Definitely try (and try hard) to BF as its best for bub.

Unfortunately I couldn't and so in the interest of finding a silver lining, these are the pros of FF for me:

Anyone can feed the baby (great at night!)
    I can enjoy a glass of wine or two
    Time saving - in terms of expressing rather than actual feeding time
    For me, by the end, it was way less stressful than BF. Not to mention less painful.
    By the end I also liked having bodily autonomy again!

But BF is such a personal experience. I really hope I can do it for longer if I have another, even though I didn't enjoy it or succeed first time.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

Mom2TwoDSs  (06-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Girl X View Post
    I'll preface this by saying that I tried to BF and was very upset when it didn't work out. BF is thought to be better for your child, and so the following is my personal experience rather than a recommendation.

I preferred FF. I found it more convenient than BF, as it didn't involve my body. When BF I had to wear clothes that allowed it, and breast pads, and I felt sore and moist in that area all the time. Although FF meant preparing bottles, I found that very easy and quick, and liked that it didn't impact on my body. DH loved that he could feed DD too, and she was much happier on formula. It also meant we had no problems with leaving her with my parents to babysit when needed, and I could eat and drink as I wanted too.

I'm saying this as someone for whom BF didn't work out, and I'm sure if all went smoothly with it then some of the above wouldn't apply. I intend to try to BF again next time, but last time FF worked better for all of us.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using BubHub
    All of this. I could have written it pretty much word for word.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I bf my bub till 12 mths and he then went on formula afterwards. Going to start by saying this is purely my opinion and in no way intended to offend others. But this is what I believe to be the pros and cons. May be others but its early
    Bf: pros
    -cost saver as milk is from you so just eat well and if you are able to bf at no cost to you
    -bf can help you lose or maintain weight. I lost kg and ate whatever I wanted (that was of course ok for bub) so was great!
    -When waking up during the night easier to settle as just pop them on the boob and they'll fall asleep easier after a bf. it's also easier for you too as the bf experience gets you sleepy too.
    -no need to remember to bring stuff when out and about as long as you are with bub
    -Can help to create a bond between you and bub
    -Whilst if bf it doesn't stop them getting sick, it does help them recover quicker

Cons:
    -When they teeth, ouch. But nipple shields help
    -You have to watch what you eat and drink as it can effect bub
    -You have to consider what you wear as to be accessible to bf and also to change breast pads
    -For partner to help with feeds, you'd have to express (which can be exhausting, hard for some, but i was able to fine) but you need to wait till your supply is established.

Ff: pros
    -Quick and easy, fill up anywhere and much more discreet to feed at a restaurant. While you can bf at a restaurant (and I have) I hated the looks from people if I did which you don't get if ff.
    -No restrictions to what you wear or eat
    -More visible how much they are drinking and if enough
    -Easier for others to look after bub. I did express for others when bf but when you express and others look after them and offer a bottle, you feel full if bf as they have missed a feed, so effectively can be uncomfortable till bub has that feed

Ff Cons:
    -When they wake up, you'd need to make up the bottle and the extra time it takes to have and drink a bottle I found he thought it was party time. So effectively takes longer to resettle and for you to go back to sleep
    -In the beginning bub will need it warmed up. Not everywhere you go will have a accessible microwave so you'd have to consider this in your out and about activities around feed times
    -Cost. Formula works out after a while to be quite an additional expense, not just formula but bottles etc comes in to add up

Hope this info helps

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Lansta For This Useful Post:

Mom2TwoDSs  (06-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Bubhub Blogger

Default Re: Formula or breastfeeding?

Hugs girl x. Aren't we lucky to have such wonderful formula available for when it just doesn't work for what ever reason. You still deserve a bug part on the back for doing what's best for you and your baby. I'm your case it was giving bf a go, but realising it's not always best suited

Spent from my dome. Excuse autocorrect

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Izy For This Useful Post:

Alicia92  (06-01-2013),Guest654  (06-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks peeps for all your advices. I was leaning towards breast feeding but have heard so many horror stories! I've had friends who've had thrush from breast feeding which has caused them a considerable amount of pain. I've had other friends who have bled from their nipples due to an infection whilst others had very dry and cracked breasts! I'm also concerned about my nipples turning very dark and becoming huge when I breast feed.

As for ff, I've never actually heard any of my friends complaining about this....

But thanks peeps for all your advice. I might give bf a go (via expressing) and if it doesn't work, then I'll turn to ff

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosie Bb View Post
    Thanks peeps for all your advices. I was leaning towards breast feeding but have heard so many horror stories! I've had friends who've had thrush from breast feeding which has caused them a considerable amount of pain. I've had other friends who have bled from their nipples due to an infection whilst others had very dry and cracked breasts! I'm also concerned about my nipples turning very dark and becoming huge when I breast feed.

As for ff, I've never actually heard any of my friends complaining about this....

But thanks peeps for all your advice. I might give bf a go (via expressing) and if it doesn't work, then I'll turn to ff
    Breastfeeding can be really REALLY hard. For me at times it was as painful as pushing a baby out but for some women it's simply a case of putting baby to boob and presto! There is also an enormous spectrum of what is normal when bf'ing and can affect baby's mannerisms. I had to comp feed when DS was born and I was shocked at the difference. When he was bf he never seemed satisfied and was crabby. When he had ff he turned into this lovely settled little baby thus making ff very appealing! I persevered with bf though as the benefits are phenomenal. In saying that I exclusively bf'd my DD though and it was so convenient if we were out and wanted to extend our visit somewhere we didn't have to worry about bottles. I bought some lovely bf tops making public feeding very easy and discreet.

Apart from the health and convenience benefits of bf there are also the practical benefits like being able to feed to sleep. (Babies find feeding very comforting.) I was also very grateful when bf'ing DD when she was sick and knowing I was giving her the best medicine around. When your baby is sick it's quite stressful (even just a cold) so being able to comfort them so easily was also a great comfort to me.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

Izy  (06-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosie Bb View Post

Thing is there are horror stories to anything....how many people on here have horror stories about labour and birth or being pregnant, even bad experiences with formula where the type of forumla didnt agree with bubs, etc. You always tend to hear the horror stories as people like to talk about them. You often dont get people going on about how good their breastfeeding relationship is.

As for me and if reference to your comments, yes my nipples have changed colour but they changed colour when I was pregnant...not breastfeeding. When I stopped breastfeeding they went back to normal. I have never had any issues with thrush, mastitis or dry cracked breasts (and I have BF all three kids).

Yes bubs feeds heaps at the start and you need to have accessible tops when out but now that bubs is older I really only feed her at home so its not an issue.

I love love love my bf relationship with DD. There is nothing more magical then being able to pop her on the b00b and have her gazing into my eyes while she plays with my hair. I love feeding her to sleep...it relaxes me and her as well.

Also we just went camping for a week and it was awesome to be able to bf. Didnt have to worry about bringing bottles and cleaning them....just whipped a b00b out when she needed it.

Now I am not dissing FF so noone get up in arms!! Its just for me BF has been 90% pro and 10% cons (cons being I would like to get some better bras).

If you can give BF a go please do...but if FF is better for you then of course thats great as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Physically, bfeeding may be harder but inside their little bodies, the benefits of bf is immeasurable (is that a word??). FF is obviously a lot easier on your body but at the end of the day, it is something that is substituting breast milk. I would give bf a go first - if it doesn't work, then u can switch over but at least you've had a go. I am bfeeding DD2 but finding it not as enjoyable as my first but I've seen the benefits of bfeeding with my first so continuing to persevere until at least 6 months...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Quote Originally Posted by FluffyDucks View Post
    Thing is there are horror stories to anything....how many people on here have horror stories about labour and birth or being pregnant, even bad experiences with formula where the type of forumla didnt agree with bubs, etc. You always tend to hear the horror stories as people like to talk about them. You often dont get people going on about how good their breastfeeding relationship is.

As for me and if reference to your comments, yes my nipples have changed colour but they changed colour when I was pregnant...not breastfeeding. When I stopped breastfeeding they went back to normal. I have never had any issues with thrush, mastitis or dry cracked breasts (and I have BF all three kids).

Yes bubs feeds heaps at the start and you need to have accessible tops when out but now that bubs is older I really only feed her at home so its not an issue.

I love love love my bf relationship with DD. There is nothing more magical then being able to pop her on the b00b and have her gazing into my eyes while she plays with my hair. I love feeding her to sleep...it relaxes me and her as well.

Also we just went camping for a week and it was awesome to be able to bf. Didnt have to worry about bringing bottles and cleaning them....just whipped a b00b out when she needed it.

Now I am not dissing FF so noone get up in arms!! Its just for me BF has been 90% pro and 10% cons (cons being I would like to get some better bras).

If you can give BF a go please do...but if FF is better for you then of course thats great as well.
    This exactly. You hear horror stories about everything but rarely when people sing praises. I had no problems bf. slight cracked nipples in the beginning till he latched on right but went away quickly. I also had no dramas expressing but know many who had trouble.