+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Formula or breastfeeding?

Hi there! I don't know whether to choose to feed my bub formula or to breast feed. Does anyone know the pros and cons of both? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Check out the ABA website for everything you need to know regarding BF.

This link is a good place to start,

https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bf-...stfeeding-faqs

As for benefits of FF I will have to defer to those with more experience than I. My DS only ever had the occaisional bottle of formula.

I can't speak highly enough of the benefits of BF though.

Health benefits for bubs
    Emotional benefits for bubs
    Bonding for mum and bubs
    Convenience of always having food for bubs ready to go at correct temp whenever, wherever!
    Another settling technique in your toolkit when bubs is unsettled or ill.

The list goes on and on!

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to giggle berry For This Useful Post:

Mom2TwoDSs  (06-01-2013),mrswhitehouse  (06-01-2013),PR2bMum  (06-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Bubhub Blogger
    Asking the pro's and con's is a little like asking is it better to have your natural knee or have an artificial knee fitted.

There will be circumstances where it's necessary for mental or physical reasons, but if you can BF it's 99.9% of the time a better option than FF.

After all. Formula companies are constantly trying to better mimic breast milk. Why would you want to have a copy when you've got the original?

5. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Izy For This Useful Post:

BornToBe  (07-01-2013),Bubbles10  (06-01-2013),Ceili  (06-01-2013),Mom2TwoDSs  (06-01-2013),mrswhitehouse  (06-01-2013),PR2bMum  (06-01-2013),Sarelou  (07-01-2013),smallpotatoes  (06-01-2013),SoThisIsLove  (06-01-2013),wannawannabe  (18-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I personally think you should try breast feeding first. If that doesn't work out for you, for whatever reason, switch to formula.

Like a pp said there are HEAPS of benefits to breast feeding. But on the other hand formula feeding can be convenient too. Your partner (or someone else) can help with feeds for example. I assume you can monitor how much bub is getting also.

At the end of the day it is your decision alone as to what you choose to do. As long as you're happy and bub is happy all is good :-)

ETA: Izy pretty much sums it up best :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014

Default Re: Formula or breastfeeding?

Generally breast is best, so would give breastfeeding a shot first. If it doesn't work out, there is always formula as back up.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Give bf a go. I, personally, hated it. I was so stressed out trying to get her to latch etc. I had lactation consultants working with me but it just wasnt happening. So i expressed full time for four weeks so she got some of the antibodies etc then switched to bellamys formula.

DH loves helping with the feeds etc (and i love him helping haha)

I suggest giving it a go. If it doesnt work then youve got your answer

Sent from my GT-I9210T using BubHub

9. The Following User Says Thank You to pilbarablossom For This Useful Post:

SoThisIsLove  (07-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

A couple of experiences here which may help
    I have breast fed all 4 of my babies but I had alot of trouble with my first. I was fortunate enough that I was at a country hospital which had wonderful midwives who where supportive to give their time to help me master it. I also went to their follow up breast feeding clinics for latching issues which finally resolved after using a nipple shield to attach bub for 6 weeks. The following 3 bubs I had no issues with

My sister has 3 children and went to a very busy (normal!) hospital and with her 1st bub ended up expressing for the first 6 weeks as she couldn't attach him. So after that she changed to formula. Then before she has her 2nd bub she went to a breast feeding class offered by the hospital while pregnant and she went on to bf her 2nd and 3rd babies and she strongly attributes this to the classes.

I know it may sound silly to have to learn something that is supposed to be natural but it can make alot of difference if you are wanting to give it the best shot at bf It's great to know that shall bf not work out for whatever reason there is another option.

A huge plus for me is not having to wash/sterilise bottles and when doing night feeds just popping bub on the boob instead of having to make or heat a bottle.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Lovejoypeace For This Useful Post:

Mom2TwoDSs  (06-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Definitely try breastfeeding! Even if it's only the magical colostrum in the first few days, your baby's health and immunity will thank you! Not only is it bf best for bub's health it's also such an amazing bonding experience that only you can have with your baby! But of course if it doesn't work out for you, or you have to comp feed etc, don't feel guilty about it because at least you gave it a go there are so many times (like right) when I wish I didn't have to wash and sterilize bottles, it's such a PITA.

But breastfeeding is definitely the best option (and I say this as a comp feeder)!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to callmedragon22 For This Useful Post:

Mom2TwoDSs  (06-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Agree with many of the posts

100% give breastfeeding a go, even if its just the precious colostrum for the first few days. Its soooo good for bubs.

But pls dont feel bad if u ff or dont succeed at bf. I had a shocking time with bf and beat myself up about it and struggled thru it for 3 months and i had so many issues. I really put myself thru hell. I wont do that again if it doesnt work out next time round.

Just do what u feel is best x

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Too many pros of breastfeeding to list!

Cons of breastfeeding:
    -it can be hard to establish but after the first week or two it gets easier!
    -it can hurt but it usually means baby is not attached properly or could be mastitis (look on the ABA website for info)

Good luck! I hope you have a successful breastfeeding journey and there is always plenty of support in the breastfeeding section of bubhub for any bumps in the road