+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Re: Religious door knockers

Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    I had some JW's say to me one day "you are going to die, wouldn't you like to live forever?".
    I told them no, I think that would get kinda boring.
    While they stood there dumbfounded on what to say next, I shut the door.
    The promise of immortal life sounds like the work of devil to me. Lol

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

CMF  (08-01-2013),Gothel  (08-01-2013),Mulva  (08-01-2013),Stiflers Mom  (08-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had some JW's say to me one day "you are going to die, wouldn't you like to live forever?".
    I told them no, I think that would get kinda boring.
    While they stood there dumbfounded on what to say next, I shut the door.
    Hahah NO when the lights go out I'd like to sleep thanks! Who wants to live forever? What would you do all day in heaven? Hang out with relatives? They're bad enough at christmas.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Someones Mummy For This Useful Post:

Californication  (08-01-2013),Gothel  (08-01-2013)

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: Religious door knockers

I had some JW's say to me one day "you are going to die, wouldn't you like to live forever?"
    Another one quoting you lol, but this is my whole problem with religious door-knockers/people who try to convert you to their way. "if you don't follow us, you're stuffed, we are the special/chosen/righteous ones, WE know what YOU need, you poor sad lemming, come into the light" bla bla bla.
    I mean how do they know that I'm not going to live forever anyway? I just can't bear that assumption that someone has all the answers. No-one has all the answers *hops off soap box*

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Religious door knockers

I think it is really, really rude. I would actually love to see laws restricting religions, sales people and charities from door knocking. I think it shouldn't be an opt out system, but rather an opt in- so if you are happy to speak to door knockers, you display a sticker saying so. No sticker=no door knock.
    Just a couple of days ago I was settling DD when a man rang the bell, paused, bashed on the security door and rang the bell again. I didn't answer as I was obviously busy. 15 mins later, after I had just gotten her to sleep, same thing- bell, bash, bell, bash! I was furious! I opened the door and told him so, as well. He was selling electricity though.
    We get JWs here though, sometimes at 9 am on a Sunday- I find it horribly rude and invasive but at least they don't pound the door down.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gothel View Post

I have never heard of anyone being converted by a door knocker tho
    I do - When I met DDs dad he had a housemate who was pretty "bad" - sex, drugs, alcohol, lots of tattoos, the works. One day the Mormons came knocking and he had a "revelation". Hasn't touched alcohol, drugs, gambling etc since. Married into a long-standing Mormon family (we went to the wedding but werent allowed in their secret special chapel for the actual ceremony) and now has two kids with no doubt more to come. He is the poster boy for doorknocking conversions, and unfortunately because of these few spectacular successes they will never give up. Mind you, it's the best thing that ever happened to this guy, if he hadn't answered the door that day he would probably be dead or in jail right now...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to shelle65 For This Useful Post:

Izy  (08-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am a definite Atheist - and at times (depending on the actual conversation, an anti-theist)... but door knockers, religious or not - don't actually bother me that much.

My screen door is always locked, it doesn't get opened - so I feel safe.
    Depending on the time of day - (ie - not feral tea time o'clock) - I am quite happy to particpate in a conversation regarding the subject they are selling. If they are willing to go out and put forward their ideas, they need to be prepared for an alternative opinion and questions, IMO.
    I am never rude.

I have had a JW quote Darwin [misquote/quote mine I should say] to me, trying to get around the idea of evolution...I have since (oooh - after a conversation here on BH if memory serves me well!) ..googled the JW literature, and found all the things they are 'taught' to present whilst on their outings - so if anyone is interested in being 'prepared' for your next encounter - just google.

My mother - years ago - was visited regularly by teh local JWs and started attending the Kingdom Hall, with me as a 4 year old in tow. It didn't last for long..so I wouldn't call it a 'conversion'.

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    Thank you!

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    We have a similar sticker, however, the only place we can put it is at the top of the stairs so they've already walked up the stairs to the front door. Our bedroom is right next door with my head about a metre from the front door. I want a big-@rse sign with neon flashing lights and a picture of a vicious looking dog next to it, along side free copies of "The God Delusion".

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

lones  (08-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by ~Bec~ View Post
    We have a similar sticker, however, the only place we can put it is at the top of the stairs so they've already walked up the stairs to the front door. Our bedroom is right next door with my head about a metre from the front door. I want a big-@rse sign with neon flashing lights and a picture of a vicious looking dog next to it, along side free copies of "The God Delusion".
    LOL!
    I made a spur of the moment sign with A4 paper and Niko pen once when we had very frequent door knockers and dd was only a new born and a few had woken her up after me just putting her down, the worst was when we would both be sleeping and they would wake us both, especially as we have dogs who bark the house down when someone knocks.
    It read along the line of..
    "DO NOT KNOCK I HAVE A SLEEPING BABY! PLEASE DO NOT WAKE HER"
    Didn't work.. People just started yelling at the front door " HELLO" with little frequent taps on the glass panels of the front door.
    Use to infuriate me.