+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Religious door knockers

After getting my regular door knock from a Jehovas Witness today, I'm curious if anyone thinks that there's a place for this, should it be legal?
    When/if you have religious door knockers try to preach to you, how do you tend to respond? (that's if you answer the door at all)
    If anyone on bubhub is part of a religion that tends to do this, can I have some insight as to why this is practised? I know that you're meant to spread the word of your beliefs, but does there come a point where you are becoming invasive? Do you think this is that point?

Eta, has anyone actually been converted to a religion this way?
    Last edited by atomicmama; 05-01-2013 at 17:32.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I personally do not like having someone preach to me about their religion. I don't think it should be allowed. If someone wants to know more about a religion they can seek it out. Having someone come to my door un-invited like this rubs me up the wrong way.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dancingchipmunk For This Useful Post:

ICanDream  (05-01-2013),mrswhitehouse  (05-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    To me it feels like they are trying to "sell me god" ... I think it's terrible .. But not shocked they do it ..
    I tell them I have already found god

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

It doesn't bother me if they are polite. I already belong to a religion, so I'm happy to have a chat etc. I don't think doorknockers should be treated badly, just be polite and tell them No, Thankyou.

I know some can be pushy, and that is frustrating. We don't really get many around here, and we both work full time so aren't here during the day to answer the door anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

I tell them I have my own beliefs, usually they accept that, one or twi have tried to argue with me in the past which I find rude but I just walk away.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I let them know I am not interested, politely. The same way I do when anyone comes to my door to sell me things. The same way I do when people try to sell me crap when I'm walking past them in the shopping centre. I am polite, I let them know I am interested, I disengage from them and carry on doing whatever it was I was doing before they interrupted me.

I don't necessarily think it should be illegal. It's part of their religious practice, and while it's damn annoying, it's pretty much harmless. Nobody has ever been a jerk to me because of it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014

Default Re: Religious door knockers

It's invasive and annoying! I hate any door knockers! I just say i'm not interested and shut the door. I don't give them the opportunity to continue any further.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I deal with them the same way I deal with door to door salespeople....say "oh, no thanks" with a polite smile and shut the door.
    If they want to spend their entire day wandering around doing this, then thats their call. It takes a second out of my day to open the door and reject them and close it again....its no big deal to me.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to London For This Useful Post:

SassyMummy  (06-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

I have a sticker next to my doorbell that says no door knockers or religious callers please.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to RmumR For This Useful Post:

Izy  (08-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I honestly hate when anyone knocks on my door but I'm always polite and if they're a little forceful I take a brochure thing and leave it at that. My husband tells me to just slam the door but that's not me!
    I think it's either mormans or Jehovah's witnesses (or maybe both) that it's part of their religion that they "spread the word" on Sundays, not really sure why though.