+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default What age to get DS a puppy?

Im after some advice please, not sure what to do!

A bit of background, I have always been an animal lover, always had heaps of pets. Currently have a dog, a bird, a turtle, two water dragons and some fish.

Our dog, Missy is a 9 year old beagle. We got her when she was 6 weeks old and she has been our baby, an inside lap dog who loves human attention ever since, except for a period of about 9 months approximately 6 years ago when we had to live with my parents and she lived happily outdoors with two other dogs and coming inside only to sleep during that time. When we go out, she gets bored or frets or something, and is constantly trying to find her way out of the yard, and DH has always said that we should get another dog to keep her company. I was adamant that I only wanted one dog, I thought if we got another dog we would lose the bond we had built up with her IYKWIM.

We now have a 6.5 month DS. He absolutely loves Missy, whenever she is around he watches her with a big grin on his face and if she is in his reach he tries to touch and pat her. We have started getting Missy to give him "kisses" which he finds hilarious and laughs hysterically when she does. Missy generally tends to stay away from him, unless we prompt her to go to him. A few weeks before Christmas, SIL came over with 3.5 year old niece. The whole time she was here, she grabbed Missy's toys and was running around calling out to Missy trying to get her to play with her. Missy obliged for about 3 mins then crashed out asleep on the lounge lol.

So my concern is this: DS will soon be mobile and want to play with Missy, however due to her age she just cant be bothered with all that energy. So now Im thinking of getting DS a puppy he can grow up with, probably a rescue around 12 months old which has already been house trained and has had exposure to kids. Im also hoping that it might help with Missy's separation issues when we go out. My concerns are that the new dog will annoy or dominate Missy, or that she will feel replaced and put out, as well as having to look after a puppy as well as a baby being a bit too much to take on at once.

So, I have the following three options to choose from:

1. Not get another dog, and just let DS grow up with Missy.
    2. Get him another puppy to play with now, while he is still relatively easy to look after
    3. Wait until he is running around and wanting to play with and annoying Missy before getting younger more energetic one for him.

WWYD? Sorry for the long post, but thought a bit of background might help

αληθη is offline BH name read as Aleethee
    Winner 2012 - One most likely to be hacked by Nomsie
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

In our experience (we grew up with a lot of animals) you never lose that bond and in my opinion, you're never too old or too young for a new puppy

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: What age to get DS a puppy?

I would maybe look at getting the puppy before ds is mobile. In terms of dominance, as long as you consistently make it clear that Missy is the higher dog in the pack then you should be ok. Feed her first, let her in first, pat her first, that sort of thing.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Puppies are a lot of work. Personally I would wait and keep it simple. I have two dogs and they tend to wake up my de sometimes as they're inside dogs and I'm so busy with de they don't get as much attention as they used to. It's also harder to walk 2 dogs and a baby so I have to wait till dh is home to help. Can you put missy in the house when you go out to make her less anxious?
    It's really up to you tho, if you've considered how you will look after the dog and will have time then whenever you want is a good time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Just keep in mind a puppy is likely to bother your older dog a lot more then your DS will.

But if you would like to get a puppy for your DS to grow up with then why not. You've had a puppy before so you know what's involved.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I had a 12 year old border collie on her last legs then got my beagle. She sprung back to life when we got her. I moved out and my beagle got separation anxiety! Had to get another pup. If you train them to walk etc on the pram from day dot I don't see a problem

I would maybe wait until he is one? That way he's more mobile etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks all. Looks like some differing opinions lol. I guess its just personal choice.

Luvmydogs, our furniture wouldnt survive if we left Missy in the house when we werent home She sleeps in the laundry, there is a doggy door so she can come in and out as she pleases and when we go out we shut the laundry off from the house.

I checked the beagle rescue website, they have a gorgeous little 11 month old boy...Im in two minds whether I should contact them or not...