+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default When will my break thru bleeding stop??

I went on the Pill (Levlen) in early December. A few days later I ended up on Doxycycline (antibiotics) for a sinus infection and I was dreadful at taking the Pill on time for the first 10 or so days (it's been 2 years since I was on the Pill so that's my excuse). Anyway, it seems I managed to induce ovulation (grrr!!!) and although I planned to take the Pill continuously for 2 or so months (like I've been doing for years in the past) I ended up with break thru bleeding 9 - 10 days ago. It's STILL an issue. I kept taking the Pill as I vaguely recall a similar situation in the past and my GP at the time told me to just keep taking the Pill. BUT, it's now been 9 - 10 days and I've still got bleeding that will be nothing much for most of the day and then will be a gush of fresh blood (sorry for TMI) and then nothing much again for hours. I haven't made an appt with the GP as I just kept expecting it to stop.

I'm not pregnant (checked yesterday) and now I'm not sure what to do. The irony is that I specifically went back on the Pill in early December so I could not have AF for these 2 - 3 weeks while I'm on holidays so I could easily take the kids swimming and it's been a major fail & disappointment on that score!! Now, I'm not sure if I should give up & go off the Pill (onto sugar pills) for a week and have a 'proper' period or if I should persist with taking the Pill and my bleeding might stop in the next few days. I really want to go swimming later this week and it's hard enough to manage with 2 little kids without having to worry about the logistics of AF & swimming.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Oh that sounds very annoying.
    It seems like your body is still trying to get used to the Pill in your system. I'd just keep taking the Pill as normal. It may mean when you get to the white pills you'll hardly get an AF but things should be better next cycle.

Is the blood red or brown??

I'd be also making sure you keep using other protection while your body adjusts to the Pill. You probably aren't fully protected with just the pill.

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hate to say this but I had breakthrough bleeding pretty much the entire time I was on Levlen. The only time I didn't get it was when I was on the mini-pill, most normal pills had the same effect.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I also constantly had breakthrough bleeding on Levlen. It might be a case of letting your doctor know and going on another pill.

I've heard of this happening a lot on Levlen :-/

Thanks
    Reviews

I ask had constant break through bleeding on Levlen, had to switch to another pill.

Thanks
    Reviews

*also...darn auto correct!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thanks everyone. Haven't had issues with Levlen before. I was on it for 10+ years. It's SO frustrating to have a long AF and to have it not working as contraception ... really defeats the purpose of starting it doesn't it?? grrr!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Did you know that if you were using a menstrual cup, you still could have been swimming? I'm not paid by cup companies or anything, but I just love these things. You can do all your usual activities even if you have AF

Anyway, that is all.

αληθη is offline BH name read as Aleethee
    Winner 2012 - One most likely to be hacked by Nomsie
    Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    Did you know that if you were using a menstrual cup, you still could have been swimming? I'm not paid by cup companies or anything, but I just love these things. You can do all your usual activities even if you have AF

Anyway, that is all.
    Or tampons? :/

Also yeah I changed from Levlen to Logynon because levlen was useless and I kept bleeding on it.

Thanks
    Reviews

I went on the pill it was fine for a month then when I got my period I don't stop bleeding for two weeks when to the gp and he said everything is normal he doesn't understand just go off the pill... At the time I didn't want to. So I googled and turns out the "multi vitamins" I was taking had a chemical in it that caused me to bleed. I stopped takin them that day, next day stopped bleeding... Maybe u could trace back to when it started and see if u have taken anything .. Hope this may help