+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Question regarding dosage of Ritalin LA

DS was diagnosed with ADHD a few months back. Prescribed 10mg Ritalin (immediate release) which has done
    him wonders. Started out with just one tablet in the morning, but increased to 2-3 tablets a day in four hour intervals.

At the last appointment with his paed I inquired about trying Ritalin LA, so that he didn't have to have medication
    at school, and to reduce the rebound effect.

As it is not available on PBS until they turn 6, he said to email him after DS's 6th birthday and he'd write out a script and leave it with his receptionist for me to pick up. So I picked the script up today for Ritalin LA 30mgs, didn't have an appointment so no chance to discuss it further. Did a little bit of research online about it, and basically what I've read states that the way that it is released, Ritalin LA is equivalent to having two doses of immediate release in four hourly intervals.

Which then leads me to question...since he is currently on 10mg of Ritalin - isn't 30mgs too high a dosage for him? Shouldn't he be on 20mgs instead,? I don't want his dosage to increase - at the dose he is on, he is calm, happy, but not zoned out...but I fear that any higher a dose might be enough to actually zone him out.

Anyone else whose child has gone from immediate release to extended release, what dosage of both were they on? Am I right in thinking that 30mgs is too high a dose?

Mod-Myztik is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    My April Fools baby
    Winner 2009- Biggest Post-Awards Whinger
    Winner 2010- Biggest Computer Nerd

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

We went through this but it was 5yrs ago so can't remember what dose his LA ones were. He was one 10mg short acting morning and noon but the school weren't reliable at giving his lunchtime dose so we switched to long acting and it was crap. No where near as effective as the short acting.

I think the long acting ones are set doses depending on weight and age. DS is on 36mg Concerta (basically the same ingredients as Ritalin) at 10yrs old and can't go up anymore unless he gains a lot more weight.

Can you speak to the pead or even the chemist before you give him the new meds?

If your DS is on 10mg 3-4 x a day then that is 30-40mg over what 12hrs? The slow release works over a 12hr period so I would think he's getting the same dosage? I could be wrong though which is why I suggest calling your pead or asking the pharmacist.
    Last edited by Mod-Myztik; 04-01-2013 at 23:41.

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks Myztik

From what I've read, Ritalin LA only lasts for 6-8 hours, with two peaks - half dosage as an immediate release, and a delayed release approximately 4 hours later (which is why they say it's equivalent to 2 'normal' doses). With the regular Ritalin, he has a 10mg tab at 8am, another at 12, and on rare occasions one more tablet at 4pm. So currently he only has a 20mg dosage over an 8 hour period.

Will definitely talk to pharmacist about it tomorrow! Just wanted to get an idea of whether my concerns are valid.
    Last edited by ~ElectricPink~; 05-01-2013 at 00:03.

My April Fools baby

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Ah ok. Like I said it was 5yrs ago that we went through it all. I think any concern you have regarding medication is valid! I hope you're able to get some definite answers asap

Thanks
    Reviews

Chemist said that I am correct, it is equivalent to a higher dose...but it's still within safe levels. So I have given him one this morning, seems fine so far. Will still email paed and discuss getting a script for 20mg instead, as I don't want him to be on a higher dose than is necessary!

My April Fools baby

Thanks
    Reviews

Hopefully you can get the dose you think is best for him

Thanks
    Reviews

He seems to be doing fine with it so far YAY!! Although rebounded pretty badly last night, wasn't grumpy or anything was just SO over the top, wouldn't stop moving and talking and making noises and being clingy to me. Lol.

My April Fools baby

Thanks
    Reviews

Glad to hear he's doing ok so far. The rebound may not be as drastic once his body is used to the new dosage. My DS gets a bit fidgety and very talkative once his wear off but not bouncing off walls like when r doesn't have his meds lol.