+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Help please!, bub won't suck

Definitely call the ABA. Or get a lactation consultant to help. That helped me a lot. It could be any number of reasons. My little girl did the same thing. She could have a sore neck, she could be getting wind, your letdown might be too fast, or too slow. Does she like the bath? Maybe try hop in the bath with her and feed her in there where you are both relaxed.

Sorry I'm not much help. I nearly gave up breastfeeding so many times for the exact same reasons, but she eventually worked it out and feeds good now. I never discovered what the issue was with my bub, but I just offered her the boob all the time to get her used to sucking.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Help please!, bub won't suck

I'm getting a let down, but not for about thirty seconds after she starts sucking. I have started treating my nipples for thrush too cause my left one is killing now when she latches, even when she is latching well.
    If she is getting wind straight away how would I go about preventing it?

I found a lactation consultant who is coming out on Monday, but I know she will feed like an angel when she's here, its always the way.

She does like baths but I'm only 2 weeks post c-section and am not sure if I can have a bath?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

I'm sorry you feel like you want to give up.

I don't have any magic words of wisdom I'm afraid but hang in there. Try to stay calm and keep at it.

I found breastfeeding tough until 6-8 weeks and then I have just started taking it all in my stride. It sucks hearing it but it honestly does get easier. Well that or you both learn to do it better.

If you have only just started treating yourself for thrush it is likely that is the reason as you must treat both of you at the same time and for 7 days after all symptoms are gone. Thrush can cause them to not want to feed.

Use breastpads and change them after each feed before you treat yourself again to help prevent cross infection.

Even if the lc doesn't see the issues themself you can still explain them to her and she will still be able to give advice.

Hang in there. You are doing a wonderful thing for your little girl.

Thanks
    Reviews

How are you going?

Hope things have improved.

SPC is offline Senior Member
    Winner 2010- The Most Passionate Crusader Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

It might be worth seeing an osteopath. She might be on pain, especially if she has been favouring one side. Her jaw or shoulder could be the source of the problem. They can get wrenched during delivery especially if they use forceps during the Caesar, which is quite common in Australia. My first daughter had grooves from the forceps Caesar round her skull for months and was a cranky baby who wouldn't latch.

Some babies take a while to adjust to a fierce let down too, and the best solution to that is feeding in a laid back position. Google 'laid back breastfeeding' for videos and pictures.

Also for thrush treatment and prevention try coconut oil. I had absolutely intractable thrush and a French LC recommended it. Amazing stuff. I use it for baby massage and on me.

Last thought is that taking a decent probiotic might help is she is generally fussy. Caesar babies don't get the normal flora on the way out and get dosed with antibiotics. But if you take good bacteria they will pass into your milk.

Thanks
    Reviews

She has had good moments and bad moments today. Probably only screamed for half her feeds.

She has had 3 half bottles of ebm in the last week, since she started her.tantrums, but we only give her like 50ml to take the edge of her hunger and then transition her to the boob. We are using the medela calma bottles.

I have thought about trying to find an osteo cause I've heard they can make a difference. May be hard to get to at the moment just because I leave an hour away from town and can't drive yet. Will investigate when I can.

I do think I have thrush on my nipple, the left one is now like trying to feed through razor blades.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had recurring thrush, it's awful. Things that got rid of it finally: washing out bra cups with hot water, soak in napisan, putting nips out in the sun, lots of air time, as above when wearing breast pads, constantly applying canesten thrush cream (LC told me frequency of application was important) wiping it off before a feed, I treated bub with daktarin gel - over the counter at chemist, most importantly, continuing with this for a week after I thought it was gone. My baby started to feed better in around one to two days of treating us both. Hang in there with the feeding, if you are vigilant with treatment you will get over the worst of it quickly. I always knew it was back when bub started acting as you describe. Wishing you all the best x
    Last edited by Little_P; 05-01-2013 at 22:44.

Thanks
    Reviews

Bfing is hard. I can't totally relate to the screaming and pulling off. I went through about a 2 week period with my now 14 week old daughter doing it. Neither of us had thrush so not sure about that side of things. I got an LC to come help me which was great Annika was a perfect little feeder while she was there though.
    LC watched me and told me straight off that I needed to relax, if I didn't it would make the whole process harder. Feed as soon as they wake up which really did help for us.
    She also told me to hand express a small amount first and dip my nipple into it every time she pulled off.
    Hopefully you will have a much better day today.

Thanks
    Reviews

OP I could have written this myself!!

My son is doing the exact thing and I don't think it's thrush.

He fed at 2am last night and didn't feed again until 7am this morning. He was on off on off scream!! I have a LC coming this morning so it will be interesting to see what she says. I can't feel let down so never really know what's going on.

Has your bub been gaining weight ok?

Thanks
    Reviews

Bub has been gaining weight ok, she was a bit small born and a bit early so she has been on 3 hour feeds.

My lc came yesterday and gave me some good help, still a learning curve so its not smooth sailing yet but I think we will get there.