+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I had a job interview today, met the office manager and one of the directors (there are 3). It must have gone pretty well....the other two directors want to meet me!! I've got about 12 years experience in the industry (real estate), so I think I've got what they're looking for, so I'm quite optimistic about it.

I'm feeling ok about it all, though I just hope DS will be ok. It'll be such a long day for him going to school and then after school care. He's got a lot of stamina so I think he'll be ok.

The company where I had the interview seem really family orientated. The director said that a lot of the staff have young families and they are a very "family comes first" company (his exact words) so they are understanding of the needs of working parents.

It'll be so great if I get this, no more searching! I've always had a pretty good strike rate with job interviews. I can only think of one job that I got knocked back for, the rest I got the first one I went for every time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default How did you transition your child into FT childcare?

Good luck Hollywood

I agree with a PP - I found my DS really struggled to feel comfortable at daycare when I started him only 1 day per week. It was too long between visits - he would bawl every time I dropped him off and cling to my neck. I hated it and felt crap driving away.

Now he's there 3 days and he high fives me when I drop him off - so much easier for both of us to cope with! So my personal advice would be a few hours several times a week.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pesca77 View Post
    Good luck Hollywood

I agree with a PP - I found my DS really struggled to feel comfortable at daycare when I started him only 1 day per week. It was too long between visits - he would bawl every time I dropped him off and cling to my neck. I hated it and felt crap driving away.

Now he's there 3 days and he high fives me when I drop him off - so much easier for both of us to cope with! So my personal advice would be a few hours several times a week.
    Thanks for the tip. Yeah I might start doing that next week if possible. Even if it's just an hour on the Monday, Wednesday and Friday and then a bit longer on the following weeks. I feel bad that I'd be having her in there without actually paying, but the transition is important and they did offer for me to leave her there so they're obviously happy to have her for those times.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    Thanks for the tip. Yeah I might start doing that next week if possible. Even if it's just an hour on the Monday, Wednesday and Friday and then a bit longer on the following weeks. I feel bad that I'd be having her in there without actually paying, but the transition is important and they did offer for me to leave her there so they're obviously happy to have her for those times.
    Don't feel bad, it's generally part of the service and expectation for their business. Mine offered before I even had the chance to ask.

I'm sure (I hope!) there aren't many mums out there that just one day start dropping their LO's off full time straight away. Most would want to ease their bubba's in - and themselves! It's a hard transition

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just coming back to update: I got the job!!!

I start full time work next month and I'm delighted to say that I'll be earning too much to get the PPS!! I'm still eligible for the CCB and CCR (thank goodness) and probably FTB A&B, but I'm going to be financially independent!!

Soooo happy!! My new bosses are great. They emphasised how family friendly they are, as a lot of their employees have young families (it's a commercial real estate firm). I have a really good feeling about this company and about the job. The person I'm replacing was there 14 years and only left to retire from the workforce, which is a very good sign. The office manager (a woman) has been there 12 years!

What a great year this is going to be My house settles in just a couple of weeks, DS starts school this year and everything just seems to be falling into place.

Next week I'll start the transition process with DD and get her settled into the childcare centre. I'll also take DS with me as he'll be spending a bit of time there before school (they are across the road from school and are happy to walk siblings over at no cost).

Thanks
    Reviews

Awesome news Hollywood, super happy for you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Pesca77 View Post
    Awesome news Hollywood, super happy for you
    Thanks

SPC is offline Senior Member
    Winner 2010- The Most Passionate Crusader Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Knowing your DD I would say she will be absolutely fine. She is so easy going and sociable. Esme went in much earlier, but was also very sociable and has moved daycares several times and never had an issue. Sylvie, as I'm sure you can imagine, was a bloody nightmare. The first day I only sat out if the room for half an hour, and it took literally months to be able to leave her for more than a few hours. An expensive process.

Things that helped Sylvie were being super happy and engaged with the carers. That helped her trust them. I also learned the names of all the babies and we talked about them a lot. They were really flexible with her and let her nap in a bouncer when she wanted rather than trying to settle her in a cot, which she wouldn't have done.

Generally my daycare tips would be get labeling clothes or have sets of just daycare clothes as they may disappear. Also set everything out the night before, like clothes and packed bags. They get really attached to their things, like their bag and their water bottle, which I think is about establishing their identity and having things from home. Anticipate bites and scratches every now and again. Your DD strikes me as the kind who will not retaliate, like Esme, and even the best daycares cannot get in fast enough sometimes, if there is a biter around! Despite being fed ridiculous amount of food there, my children are always really hungry when they are picked up. And being put straight into a baby carier is an efficient and and nice way to have a reuniting cuddle at the end of the day, but you might want an umbrella stroller for carrying stuff to and fro. Lots of the city kids are kept up late and hace big day sleeps so their parents can see more of them. And finally picnics on the way home (we take dips and bread to the pool) or cheap dinners out, (we go for sushi), give you a sense of having some 'quality' time with them. Rushing home means you inevitably get on with chores and cooking. So make sure you take time with them before you hit the house sometimes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SPC View Post
    Knowing your DD I would say she will be absolutely fine. She is so easy going and sociable. Esme went in much earlier, but was also very sociable and has moved daycares several times and never had an issue. Sylvie, as I'm sure you can imagine, was a bloody nightmare. The first day I only sat out if the room for half an hour, and it took literally months to be able to leave her for more than a few hours. An expensive process.

Things that helped Sylvie were being super happy and engaged with the carers. That helped her trust them. I also learned the names of all the babies and we talked about them a lot. They were really flexible with her and let her nap in a bouncer when she wanted rather than trying to settle her in a cot, which she wouldn't have done.

Generally my daycare tips would be get labeling clothes or have sets of just daycare clothes as they may disappear. Also set everything out the night before, like clothes and packed bags. They get really attached to their things, like their bag and their water bottle, which I think is about establishing their identity and having things from home. Anticipate bites and scratches every now and again. Your DD strikes me as the kind who will not retaliate, like Esme, and even the best daycares cannot get in fast enough sometimes, if there is a biter around! Despite being fed ridiculous amount of food there, my children are always really hungry when they are picked up. And being put straight into a baby carier is an efficient and and nice way to have a reuniting cuddle at the end of the day, but you might want an umbrella stroller for carrying stuff to and fro. Lots of the city kids are kept up late and hace big day sleeps so their parents can see more of them. And finally picnics on the way home (we take dips and bread to the pool) or cheap dinners out, (we go for sushi), give you a sense of having some 'quality' time with them. Rushing home means you inevitably get on with chores and cooking. So make sure you take time with them before you hit the house sometimes.
    Thanks for the tips, will definitely take them on board

I also think DD will be fine, she certainly is sociable. She's used to being away from me now that she stays overnight with FOB and his DW which is a good thing. The first thing I must do is order some of those iron on clothes labels, I don't have any for DD yet. Plus I'll go out and find a special drink bottle and bag just for daycare. Luckily the centre, as well as DS's school, is only 500m from home so there won't be a lot of travel once I collect them, and there is a shopping centre very close so we could do the odd meal out at night as you mentioned.