+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default How did you transition your child into FT childcare?

Just wondering, for those who have had to go back to full time work, how did you transition your child into full time care? Did you take them for smaller visits a few times and then just leap into full time care? Or did you build it up gradually?

DD is starting full time childcare in early Feb and I'm looking for full time work (first interview is this Monday). The centre is happy for me to bring her in a few times and leave her there for 1-2 hours at a time, which I will certainly do. Do you think that is enough? I figure if I can do that a couple of times a week at least then she will at least know the place.

DS never went into full time care, so this is hard As much as I am looking forward to working and relieving some financial pressure (I'm single), the thought of being away from both my kids for so long is a bit sad to think about Just don't have a choice though, now that I have a mortgage to pay. We need a roof over our heads.

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: How did you transition your child into FT childcare?

Big hugs Hollywood. My dd it's only in 2 days a week but I recall my anxiety at leaving her. I literally had to remind myself that I was not giving her away, just being apart for 9 hours. I think what you are planning on doing sounds great. Congrats on being the proud owner of a mortgage!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Thanks! Yeah it's pretty exciting. I keep reminding myself that we'll be so much better off and being more financially stable is a huge motivation. I had a tour of the childcare centre and it's a nice little family run one (a husband and wife team plus their staff). The kids there all seemed happy and DD got straight into playing with some of them while I filled in the application forms. Some of the kids even came up to the owners and gave them spontaneous cuddles, so they obviously had a strong bond with the kids.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

With my dd going to ft childcare wasn't planned so she was thrown in the deep end at 15 months. We both bawled the first week now she loves it. I won't lie it was so hard at first. Good Luck x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You will be fine and hopefully it will be good for your little one. My boys were social before they went to daycare so they transitioned well and both loved it and made many friends at daycare.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

I worked bub in slowly over 6 weeks before I started back at work. A few hours with me there, then a few hours without me. After a couple of weeks upped it to 4 hours per day... Slowly worked up to full days by week 5. Bub couldn't give a hoot as he had new friends to play with.

It is a REALLY good sign if the kids spontaneously give carers hugs.... My boy smiles like crazy when he sees one particular carer: she is awesome. The ones he couldn't care about I don't trust as much.

Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

While I was looking for work I took DD in 1 day a week, it was terrible by the time next week rolled over it was like starting from scratch, so I started a couple hours 3 days a week which seemed a lot better, as the gap between wasn't so long. She cried most days I'd wait outside the door it literally took under a minute for her to calm down.
    When it comes time for me to take DS i'll definitely do a couple hours each day. Even though they miss you, try to remember they are having a great time there. I think it's tougher for us then them in the end

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Depending on bubs age. For 12mths plus I'd do a few hours a day the first week - then a couple of full days then next building gradually.

Tho I can't talk. Dd2 is 7mths soon and starting daycare and I'm so anxious. She's there for 2 days a week 5-7hrs a day but it still feels wrong!

Good luck Hollywood.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the replies, interesting to hear stories. I do think it will be harder for me than her! She seems to have the right personality for childcare, she's EXTREMELY sociable, eg she'll say "Hi" to pretty much every person that serves us in shops and supermarkets, says "Bye" to everyone as we leave and reaches out as we walk past other children, saying "Eh! Eh! Eh!" and squealing with delight if they smile at her. I think part of that comes from the fact that she's had to get used to spending time away from me when she stays with FOB and his DW. I think she'll be fine, but I'll talk more with the centre about how they recommend I do it.

I might do what one of you did and see if I can take her in for an hour or two at least 3 days a week so that there isn't big gaps between her going in there.

I'm so glad I got her in there. They are across the road from DS's school and they are happy to do drop offs and pick ups of siblings if we need it, at no cost to us (like if I'm running late or if I need to leave for work at 8:30am, they will walk the school kids over at 8:45am).

Now just to find work! I've got an interview on Monday, and I'm pretty optimistic about it as I've got the experience needed for it (I work in real estate). Fingers crossed this is the one!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hope you find a job easily. Sounds like a great centre. My ds was with me full time and then I was at work full time the next week, it was hard (he was 12 months old). He was cared for by my dh 2 days a week (as I'd been BFing him 6 times a day til 2 weeks earlier, even dh hadn't had him for the full day much at all) and my mum 3 days a week & overnight maybe once a fortnight. I found the transition really hard, both to full time work after a 14 month break and mostly emotionally ... leaving my ds was sad in the mornings. BUT, he quite challenging at times and on those days I was quite happy to go to work!