+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Has anyone relocated to Perth from New Zealand?

OK, now my Dh and myself and DS and DD are going to Perth this year (2013)
    Can anyone give us any tips and advice on how you went about moving to Perth? Ie. Did u stay in temp accomodation? With family? And did you go over with or without jobs? And also what was the savings like when you went to Perth?

We are going to purely get ahead, I know that you can earn lots of money etc. My partner is a qualified builder and I'm an insurance advisor..

I think my main issue is finding employment, if we can't find jobs then we won't survive...we are currently selling our house in nz, and without that sold we are just getting by. But I want to take steps in gng there now ... all advice and tips are welcome.

Look forward to your reply.

Sent from my GT-P7500 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi,

I moved to Perth from NZ almost 18 months ago now. I havefamily here that we were able to stay with while getting sorted – financially thathelped hugely. Also having them around helped me settle in and get to know my way around.

We had all our furniture etc shipped over – it took about10 weeks. This helped with not having the big initial outlay of furnishing anew house but it cost around $4,500 NZ and you can get some good qualityfurnishings for reasonable prices here so I’m not sure I’d do it again knowingwhat I do now. Although depending on the ages of your DS and DD it may helpthem to settle being surrounded by their things. My DS was 1 year old so he handled the move well.

I moved for the same reason as you are and I have not regretted it once.

As far as work goes, there are lots of jobs around and gettingwork here is quite different to how it is in NZ. We came over with no jobs. Youcan apply one day, get a phone call to interview and have a medical thefollowing day and be starting work the next. I found it depends a lot on yourown drive and attitude – if you go into agencies and spend a few hours a day onSeek (and other sites) applying for jobs then you shouldn’t have any problemson that front. As a general the pay rates all round are better.

You will need to apply for tax file numbers as soon as you are here (you can’t get one until you’re in the country). From memory you can work for 21 days without supplying your TFN but after that you startgetting taxed at the highest rate.

Some banks allow you to open bank accounts before you gethere and once you arrive you go in with your passport – it doesn’t take thatlong though so you could just open one once you’re here.

There is also government assistance here like the family tax benefit. Childcare benefits and rebates to help with daycare costs or the schoolkids bonus if your children are at school.

Could your DH come across first? Secure a job and a housefor you and the children to then come to? I know that wouldn’t work for a lot of people but I know a few families who have done this and it worked well forthem. It might take some of the initial pressure off.

Anyway I’m more than happy to chat things over with you.Feel free to PM me if you like
    Last edited by NZtoWA; 10-01-2013 at 12:25.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to NZtoWA For This Useful Post:

lilmizshav  (10-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default NZ to Perth

Hi, I moved to Perth from Christchurch last month. My partner and I didn't have jobs before we came and we are staying with my family here for a while.

My partner found work almost immediately - he applied on a Tuesday, had the interview the next day and they wanted him to start on the Friday. My parents also moved out here last year without jobs and both found it much easier to find employment here than they did in NZ.

I recommend you get Medicare as soon as you get here as they are only open during working hours and if you get a job immediately it could be hard going to see them. They are open on Saturday mornings but it gets very busy.

And absolutely apply for a tax file number as soon as you get here - you can do it over the internet. My partner and I applied for ours about two weeks ago and we are still waiting for them to arrive.

In regards to savings, we haven't got much experience yet as we are still spending a lot on setting ourselves up. However, my parents noticed a huge difference in their savings compared to NZ and are very happy with it - obviously!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by NZtoWA View Post
    Hi,

I moved to Perth from NZ almost 18 months ago now. I havefamily here that we were able to stay with while getting sorted – financially thathelped hugely. Also having them around helped me settle in and get to know my way around.

We had all our furniture etc shipped over – it took about10 weeks. This helped with not having the big initial outlay of furnishing anew house but it cost around $4,500 NZ and you can get some good qualityfurnishings for reasonable prices here so I’m not sure I’d do it again knowingwhat I do now. Although depending on the ages of your DS and DD it may helpthem to settle being surrounded by their things. My DS was 1 year old so he handled the move well.

I moved for the same reason as you are and I have not regretted it once.

As far as work goes, there are lots of jobs around and gettingwork here is quite different to how it is in NZ. We came over with no jobs. Youcan apply one day, get a phone call to interview and have a medical thefollowing day and be starting work the next. I found it depends a lot on yourown drive and attitude – if you go into agencies and spend a few hours a day onSeek (and other sites) applying for jobs then you shouldn’t have any problemson that front. As a general the pay rates all round are better.

You will need to apply for tax file numbers as soon as you are here (you can’t get one until you’re in the country). From memory you can work for 21 days without supplying your TFN but after that you startgetting taxed at the highest rate.

Some banks allow you to open bank accounts before you gethere and once you arrive you go in with your passport – it doesn’t take thatlong though so you could just open one once you’re here.

There is also government assistance here like the family tax benefit. Childcare benefits and rebates to help with daycare costs or the schoolkids bonus if your children are at school.

Could your DH come across first? Secure a job and a housefor you and the children to then come to? I know that wouldn’t work for a lot of people but I know a few families who have done this and it worked well forthem. It might take some of the initial pressure off.

Anyway I’m more than happy to chat things over with you.Feel free to PM me if you like
    Hi The NZ to WA, I have sent you a private Message Hope you get it look forward to your replies. xxx