+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Smile What's your opinion?

Ok, so ultimately this is up to my husband & me. But before we decide I thought I'd ask for any advice your willing to throw my way. We have 3 kids (3,4 & 5 - 2 girls, 1 boy). I have been super clucky for a while now & we are considering having more now. We feel as the age gaps are so small (11 months & 16 months) we would have to have 2 more as there would be 4.5 yrs between my youngest and the baby. I'm just wondering if any of you have 5 kids and the difference between 3 & 5 & how you give time to each child and make sure no one misses out. And also have the energy to maintain a good relationship with your husband! I'm very keen, just need reassurance that others out there can do it as when I mention it to others most say I'm crazy! And should be happy I'm over the sleepless nights and nappies now. Thankyou and I appreciate your comments.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I should add, I am a SAHM and love it and plan on being a SAHM forever unless I change my mind! My husband works a good job and we are financially fine (not rolling in cash but not poverty stricken either, we have a mortgage)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default What's your opinion?

Just wondering why u say you have to have 2 more because of an age gap. The gap isn't that big IMO. Couldn't you plan to have 1 and see how that goes with the family dynamics.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 3cats1pug For This Useful Post:

αληθη  (04-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well yeah, we could have 1 and see how it goes. Obviously if I couldnt cope I wouldnt have another but I feel like 2 more would be better only because my 3 are sooo soo close (the girls are less than a year apart), I dont want them be older and everyone say to the 4th "Oh, you must have been an after thought!" and also my 3 kids play so well together I feel like a little playmate closer in age would be better.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: What's your opinion?

I don't have any experience being a mother of 5, however I am the youngest of 5. Often, at least once a term, Mum would pull one of us out of school for the day and we'd have a "love day". This usually coincided when we needed new clothes or shoes etc. This, I feel, was important in that we felt loved getting time 1 on 1 with Mum, and that my oldest brother was 8 when I was born, so the 5 of us were really close in age. Also, I do remember Mum and Dad sometimes taking a weekend off and leaving someone to look after us. That helped them with their marriage. HTH!!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Apsenniel For This Useful Post:

Cherry18Bloss  (05-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I think it will be fine, the older kids will enjoy helping out with the bub.
    I'd see how things go having one more and go from there.
    Good luck!

αληθη is offline BH name read as Aleethee
    Winner 2012 - One most likely to be hacked by Nomsie
    Thanks
    Reviews

I can only say from the perspective of the youngest of six. If you're emotionally available and not prone to depression or have good support if you are, then you should be fine. My mum wasn't emotionally available for us all but my dad was. If you can still manage to do things with hubby, even fall asleep in front of a movie with him after the kids are asleep or have a 'coffee' time where you just make yourselves a coffee and sit outside together when you can and just chat. With the kids - group time is amazing but make sure to not let any kids feel like a sibling is being favourited. When the younger ones are napping is a great time to spend time with the older ones, even if its just making a game out of the housework together - dad used to make a game out of taking rubbish to the dump and it's one of our fondest memories to spend time with the young ones, when the older are at day care/school you have plenty of time and then family activities in the other times

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the replies. It's nice to hear from those who come from large families as children themselves too. My mum is the youngest of 5, & complains that by the time her parents had her they couldn't be bothered doing all the kiddy things so she felt she missed out a bit. My dad is one if 8 boys and said at the time he loved his childhood - always a playmate etc. but as an adult looking back on it, he says fewer siblings would have been better for many reasons and he has said he feels like he didn't get all the live & attention he should've. Oh, it is a hard decision, maybe I'm over anlysinsing it all!! I'm a thinker that's all

αληθη is offline BH name read as Aleethee
    Winner 2012 - One most likely to be hacked by Nomsie
    Thanks
    Reviews

That's what I mean about being emotionally available and not letting one child feel like you're favoriting another. My mum was definitely over children by the time I came along but dad still wasn't, so I do think it's possible to really make it work but you have to be in the right frame of mind for it. I think by the sounds of it you probably will handle it well