+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Rent or buy

Hey guys.

Newbie here!

I'm thinking about ttc over the next 12 months, but DF and I are renting. If we saved and both kept working over the next 18 to 24 months we could definitely get in to the property market in that amount of time. I'll be 26 this month, our weddings in two months...and I'm recently getting the "urge".... I know DF wants a baby too. My question is, has any one had baby #1 or even #2 while still renting and had success with getting in the market later?

Or did you all mostly wait until you had the mortgage and that security before ttc?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Rent or buy

We purchased our property about 5 years ago and am only now pregnant with #1. However we are now renting it out and living with DHs parents. We will possibly be renting whilst saving (if we can't save enough to purchase again before bub is due) or just staying here and continue saving with bubs.

I think it's doable to save. Whilst you have bubs, you just need to be extra careful with finances. If its not possible on one income then you need to weigh up what's more important.

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Rent or buy

Subbing, I would like to see the answers.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Rent or buy

We are having a baby in April and hoping to purchase this year. First home buyers helps and I am not sure what kind of career etc you have but we are able to do so with a 'graduate loan' through home start. They take rental history as your deposit & we only needed 3% deposit when we spoke to them

We're saving a bit more of a dummy fund for things to go wrong such as hot water, roof etc... We thought about building but it really wasn't for us.

I don't work it's purely DP's income and our deposit which is above 10k.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Rent or buy

We just recently bought a place in regional nsw, about 2 months after our wedding. We have a 3yo and an 18 month old

It can definitely be done!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Rent or buy

We had intended to buy a house before DS but as he was a surprise baby we weren't able to.

Our financial advisor has said of we keep up with our savings we could afford to buy next year. DS is now 14 months and I went back to work 3 days a week when he was 10 months.

I think it depends on your income and how much you can save.

αληθη is offline BH name read as Aleethee
    Winner 2012 - One most likely to be hacked by Nomsie
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Rent or buy

My bubs a surprise one and I only have plans on renting for the next five or so years. I am 90% certain after those five or maybe six years ill be able to buy. (Although in that time ill be about your age as I'm a youngin' over here so maybe that's not an option for you.)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We waited to have kids and bought first. Getting a loan is easier when you're both working and you have no dependants. To be honest, I haven't worked since having my kids due to many other reasons, I don't think we could have afforded it on one income back then and the expense of having the kids + renting.
    Maybe work out pros and cons, what you'll make when you're on maternity leave or just one income, will you be approved for a loan, how much will you save etc. Every circumstance is different.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Rent or buy

Wow !thanks for your replies.

It looks like you have all planned and managed really well whether you have rented or bought anyway.

Inspiring!

Nice to know it can be done :-)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Rent or buy

We bought in SE Melbourne this time last year with a 4yo an almost 1yo. I wasn't working and still am not with no plans to anytime soon. To do this we had to purchase in DP's name only with no dependants, even though we can easily make the repayments.