+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default tips on getting my 3mth old to sleep in cot/bassinet

hey ladies,

im after some tips on how to get my little man to sleep in his cot or bassinet through the night. He is just about 3mths and right from the get go, hasn't ever slept a whole night in either bassinet or cot. Im trying to persist with the cot more as i think by the time he finally sleeps in the bassinet, he'll be too big and id have to go through this all again while moving him into the cot.

the only way i can get him to sleep on his back is when he is passed out in my arms, then i have a 50/50 chance of him waking the moment i put him down OR waking within the next 20-60mins, normally at this time a little extra top up is enough to get him back to sleep... but only to wake another 4 times in 3 hours and keeps waking until i give up and place him in his swing. he is wrapped well and only a few times escapes so i don't believe it's that, have tried swaddle bags which he just screamed in. have tried side and tummy sleeping even! as the only two ways that i could ever get him to sleep through the day was either on his tummy (supervised)or his swing... but now will only go down in his swing. I've tried patting and sushing, white noise, but the only two things that get him back to sleep is either cuddles (if im lucky... but usually stirs the second i put him down) but most of the time, he'll only settle after a few sucks of the bottle. there have been nights that i was just too tried to try, so placed him in the swing at the beginning of the night to which he either slept through or had one brief wake between 2.30-4 for a feed.

i don't want to turn to co sleeping, that's how i spent the first few weeks just so i could get at least an hour or 2 sleep each night, but knew i had to stop after i could freely move again after my csection as i was too afraid of rolling.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    That sounds like a common problem you are facing.

My bub is 12 weeks old today, that makes him about 3 months too.

What time do you put him to bed each night?

I realise that starting early is better than late so we start putting ours to bed between 8-9pm. We also try not to allow him to nap beyond 6pm each day so he is willing to go to bed.

We start by giving him his bottle. Then swaddle, cuddle, talk to him that he needs to sleep and then place him in his cot. If he cries, we will rub his chest and ssshhh...this can repeat several times until he is finally tired and goes to sleep. I must say that my baby doesnt cry hysterically when left in his cot to try to fall asleep. He usually whine more than cry. If he does cry and getting a bit uncomfortable for me, I will pick him up and talk to him again and let him settle and put him down.

There are times when I actually just give milk, swaddle and place him in his cot to watch his mobile go. Soon he feels tired enough, he would yelp and then I will give him his dummy and ssshhh...then he goes to sleep. It may include carrying a bit and cuddle and then he falls asleep.

It is said best to let baby go into cot when he is drowsy and aware that he is being placed there so when he wakes in the middle of the night he will re-settle.

Having said this, my bub stirs quite often in his sleep too and this means we need to attend to him. This is besides milk times (1030pm, 130pm, 430pm). Sometimes it could be due to wind in the tummy, other times his swaddle comes loose. We have definitely ended up with him in the middle of our bed every night starting from 5am cos he sometimes cries for no particular reason and is hard to settle. So we are doing a tiny bit of co-sleeping as the early mornings are when DH and I are most tired after a few wakings throughout the night.

Not sure if I have helped but just know you are not alone.

Thanks
    Reviews

Hi, I'm not into cry it out but have you tried putting him in his cot and leaving him for 5-15 mins to whinge n see if he'll go to sleep on his own? I had everyone say to me I had to use tizzie halls SOS book. I knew no different cos I saw how awesome my friends babies are. The only thing I got from the book that worked was the settling techniques. It's not really cry it out but let them protest, if it turns into an emotional cry go to them make sure everything is ok n leave them in the bed n pat n rub them and stay with them until they are asleep. My bub is 3 months n catnaps during the day n goes to bed at 6:30/7 and wakes most nights at 1:30 and 4 for feeds, goes straight back to sleep after n wakes between 6:30/7, I'm exhausted so I can only imagine how ur feeling!! But maybe try the self settling?? It's not for everyone tho. Tresillian also tells u do settle the same way n I've seen friends babies come back from there completely different n with happy mums. Let me know how u go.
    Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it's normal. 3 month olds just want to be with you and wake up from hunger or the realization they are no longer in your arms. I have three kids and the youngest is 3 months. My oldest two are 2 and 4 and they do eventually sleep. Just stick to a slack routine as sometimes you have to go out etc.... And eventually they get it . Mine always co slept until around 15 months but had long day sleeps in cot. It's really just getting through it. Good luck , one day it just happens .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption

Do you wrap him? DD would only settle if I wrapped her - which was horrible because I live in such a hot location

Thanks
    Reviews

We had similar problems with DD. in the end we raised one end of the bassinet so she wasn't flat on her back, also used a blanket/sheet over the mattress that smelt of me. We also put a warm heat pack into her bassinet before we put her down so she wasn't going from warm cuddles to a cold bed. Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews

Just a thought... Have u tried an amby baby? Google it if your not sure what it is, it may help tho if he likes his swing then that way you can sleep as well