+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Tbh I wanted one cause I love a challenge. I knew the benefits of a 'natural' birth but the real reason was I wanted to see if I was emotionally, mentally and physically capable like many of my female ancestors before me. My first labour ended with a c-sec under general anaesthetic. Nothing 'natural' about it so with my 2nd labour I was even more determined. I did get what I wanted.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BbBbBh For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (04-01-2013)

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    No drugs going to baby, hormones play their role effectively, generally a quicker recovery (with exceptions obviously), the pain of labour is a guide to the mother, so feeling the pain helps the birth to proceed efficiently...plus the ability to remain active consequently shortens labour, lower risk of intervention, 100% in control (both physically and mentally), better chance of a seamless start to breastfeeding.

Not all of the above are 'guaranteed' with a natural birth, but there is a higher chance of them occurring if the birth is natural.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default What are the benefits of natural birth? Why do you want one and should I try for one

Whenever you interfere with a natural process, there are risks involved. But nature doesn't give a rats about you as an individual or the pain, safety or survival of one person and one baby. It's designed to be a numbers game - enough will go well enough to continue the species. For that reason, I would consider the benefits as well as the risks of intervention, especially if things are not completely smooth sailing during your pregnancy and/or labour. Keep an open mind and use a healthcare provider you trust.

We get very wrapped up in the statistics and risks of certain birth choices, then we leave the hospital and strap our little newborns into cars and brave the gauntlet of speeding motorists, drunk drivers and wayward pets playing chicken with traffic. But it's a calculated risk, we use car seats from reputable stores and drive carefully, and it gets us where we need to go. In labour, to get you through it or to get the baby out safely you may need to take some calculated risks - and that may mean using manual interventions or drugs that are as safe as possible in the circumstances.

Try not to over-inflate either the pros or cons in your mind from hearing horror stories or getting advice from so-and-so who had a perfect birth. Everyone is different, do your own research and do what feels right to you.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: What are the benefits of natural birth?

I had a natural delivery with gas as my only pain relief, which I didn't use for long.

For me:
    Leading up to due date, I wasn't scared to go into labour as I trusted my body, after all this is what it was designed to do.
    Once I had birthed dd, I felt such a sense of pride, I did this and the midwives were just my witnesses. I felt like I had really accomplished something.

Physically, I was able to jump out of bed and walk around straight away. My body, once again, did what it was designed to do and I didn't have to worry about bending down to pick dd up for a night time bf like I would have if I had a c/sec.
    Oh, and my vagina is right back where it was pre baby and I don't have a scar, so I think I came out on top lol.

I know that not everyone has birthing experiences like I have (well very few, but that's a whole new topic), but I truly cannot wait to experience the pure bliss of a hopefully natural delivery with this baby too!

Whatever you decide, you need to do it for you! Not because of your Mum and not because of what any of us say. If you choose to have an elective c/sec, then it's your body and you can do as you please

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default What are the benefits of natural birth? Why do you want one and should I try for one

My reason for wanting a natural birth:
    - I wanted bub to be alert and healthy as possible
    - I wanted to heal as fast as possible
    - I had heard some awful things about epidurals and spinals (bad recoveries or permanent injuries)
    - the shower was working so amazingly well I was coping with the pain ok without drugs

I should add I did have some of the gas to assist with the pain when it came to pushing. But next time I'm aiming for no gas

It was pretty empowering to walk out of the birthing ward and to the NICU an be walking around pretty normally straight after.

I was lucky enough to go into labour a mear 6 hours before induction so had my natural(ish) birth. If I had been induced I think things would have been way different.

Next time I know that I will delay being induced as long as possible to try for another amazing natural birth.
    Last edited by Mod-Zeddie; 03-01-2013 at 22:52.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can't comment on the benefits as I had a c-section however my birthplan was simple...get baby delivered the safest way possible. The birth of my baby was amazing and I don't feel any less of a mother for having a c-section. My birthplan was a success- baby was delivered safely.
    My point is Every mother wants what is best for their child so which ever way it goes eg;natural or intervention to get baby here safely then I'm sure you will feel great and not have any regrets!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Im scared as hell about birth but ... My plan is to go in and try for aslong as I can naturally until I NEED help. If that point never comes, so be it. However if that need for pain releif does arise. Ill ask for it. Im not telling hubby etc to tell me I dont need it or question if I REALLY need it. If I ask for it, I bloody well do need it!

Im of the opinion yes, its a natural process and plenty of women give birth 100% natural but.. I also dont have much desire to aim for a completely natural birth. I see little point in going through "hell" when there is help available. Dont get me wrong, I wont be going in there demanding pain releif straight up .. but im not afraid to admit I may need it.

I believe there are plenty of other naturally occuring things in the human body that hurt like hell and 99% of people dont think twice about taking pain releif yet there are some whom look down upon women whom didnt do it "the natural way".

My body naturally grew my wisdom teeth, They then caused hell in my mouth and I had surgery to remove them. Would I remove them drug free because they are naturally a part of my body? God no.

I dont believe pregnancy means you are broken, injured etc but I also dont believe its a must do 100% feel all pain either.

Alcohol used to be used to pain releif "back in the day". They didnt do everything pain free either

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't given birth before but I plan to go natural because its better for me and its better for bub.
    Without any drugs, bubs will be more alert, less likely to have breastfeeding issues etc plus I will be more aware of what is going on. I don't just want to be 'out of it' for the most important experience of my life.
    If I really need it, there is gas available at the birth centre I'm using. But I hope I won't need it. There's no way I'd be having an epidural because that just leads to more and more complications IMO. I don't want any interventions such as forceps/vacuum, episiotomy etc and I know having an epidural only increases the chances of that happening. Recovery time is a lot faster without interventions too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Before I got pregnant I couldn't understand why anyone would want to go "drug free", and thought surely in this day and age we don't have to "suffer" do we?! But after extensive research I decided I wanted to try for a as natural as possible birth. I ended up having a natural water birth at my local birthcentre.

My major goal was to avoid stiches so it became pretty obvious that natural as possible was the way to go. It also seemed that women who'd birthed naturally really felt a huge sense of pride and achievement and I wanted to experience that if I could.

I didn't want a C-section as I knew recovery would be long and it's fairly major surgery, also it increases the chances of breathing problems for bubs.

The thought of an epidural freaked me out, I didn't want anything in my spine thanks!

I would've had gas/air and morphine if things got really bad but I didn't need them and when I was going through transition (the bad bit of labour!) the thought of these just made me feel sick. Apparently they can make you nauseous and morphine (or pethidine) can make you and the baby drowsy, leading to possible breathing problems if taken too close to delivery.

To prevent stiches/tearing I wanted to have an active birth and not be lying on my back for delivery. Lying down during labour/delivery can decrease your pelvic space by up to 25% (due to your tail bone getting in the way) which will greatly increase the chances of the baby getting stuck, and forceps or a c-section are likely to follow in that case. If you have an epidural you can't walk around or be upright so it greatly increases the chance of birth interventions. Not sure about morphine/pethidine but am guessing it can make you drowsy so might limit birthing positions. I did actually end up birthing semi-reclined but I was in a birth pool so water added bouyancy and made things a bit different.

I was able to get up and walk minutes after giving birth (although I only went as far as a birthing stool to birth the placenta!) and had no pain, no stiches, no grazes (and yes baby was big but had a small head!) I felt amazing (although I'm sure you would no matter how you'd birthed) and was on a natural high for days! I got to go home a few hours later and the whole experience was fantastic (yip it's true you really do forget the pain afterwards!)

I tell friends that when the pain gets really bad it's probably almost over. I reckon it's wise to plan to go as natural as possible but just do what you have to do. If you really need the drugs you'll know! Personally I was too busy giving birth (yip screaming from the top of my lungs) to ask for drugs anyway! Good luck, no matter how it ends up it'll all be worth it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you so much everyone, I really enjoyed reading all of your replies.

I am reading 'Birth Skills' by Juju Sundin so I think my basic birth plan will be to try those methods, but be open to trying medical pain relief if I need it.

For me it will be difficult not to feel guilty about it due to my mum pressuring me constantly. She is very anti-medication and has done it all my life so I can be as rational as I like but I still feel guilty for taking so much as a panadol!

If I end up having pain relief in labour I am not going to be able to tell her. I am definitely not going to impose my views on my children the way she has done with us, it's just not helpful and is the opposite of supportive.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrsStewart For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (10-01-2013),Sarelou  (10-01-2013)