+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Neighbours dog barking non stop

Maybe the neighbours need to invest in a trainer to come in and assess the dog. Find out why it's barking. There's always a reason and maybe they can correct the barking.

That would drive me nuts hearing a barking dog constantly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014

Default Re: Neighbours dog barking non stop

Thank you all for your suggestions, I'm honestly willing to try anything, we've been putting up with it for over a year now and I swear I'm starting to go insane over it. They are young and don't give a damn, they have admitted to sitting with doors closed and turning the tv up loud so they can't hear it cos it annoys them too

I honestly feel for the poor dog, it's not it's fault it's owners a slack.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I have an old lady next door that keeps her dog inside all day, but then puts it out overnight where it barks constantly. Drives me nuts.

I yell quite forcefully for it to shut up which usually works. If not then I use a hose, but you could buy a cheap water gun if hose not convenient like mine is. Works every time.

I once had the old lady tell me off for waking her up at 5am for yelling at HER dog - wtf!!! needless to say there wasn't much 'respect for the elderly' happening that day

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Quote Originally Posted by peanutmonkey View Post
    Thank you all for your suggestions, I'm honestly willing to try anything, we've been putting up with it for over a year now and I swear I'm starting to go insane over it. They are young and don't give a damn, they have admitted to sitting with doors closed and turning the tv up loud so they can't hear it cos it annoys them too

I honestly feel for the poor dog, it's not it's fault it's owners a slack.

How awful! That poor dog! It's obviously starving for interaction and attention...

Is it possible to maybe throw a few cheap chew toys over the fence? If it has something to do maybe it won't bark so much...

Our dogs have walks everyday and lots of stimulation, toys etc. They were just barking at bats in the trees in our yard all night, so we had to address that issue.

But sounds like this dog is barking from boredom...

Owners like this p!ss me off, smh!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014

Just thought I would update. I've tried speaking to my neighbour again, she said she will not stop her dogs from barking as she wants them to deter thieves.... um they are tiny, as if anyone serious about breaking in is going to bat an eyelid at a ****zu!

I've tried one of the bird cage things that is meant to deter barking but it hasn't worked. I'm slowly losing the plot from lack of sleep and husband has taken to yelling out the window to shut up every time it barks. His theory is if the barking isn't annoying the owners, he is going to make sure as hell that his yelling will!

Me I just want it to stop but I'm out of ideas.

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Make more noise complaints to your council. Regularly. Every day if you have to. Keep a log of how often the dog is barking and email it to the council every day. It's not fair to be kept awake by someone else's dog and it's not up to you to provide entertainment or toys for it.
    That's the owner's job. Poor dog yes... But it's the owner's responsibility.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eko For This Useful Post:

angelini  (14-01-2013),Stiflers Mom  (16-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would have thought if this was an option they would have mentioned it to you at the time, but some councils (like the one we used to live in) actually had a stock of the citronella anti-bark collars that they would loan out to try stop the barking and keep the peace between neighbours.

Sounds pretty grim for the poor dog, it sounds plainly bored and under-stimulated, not its fault but the owners sound like if they really were pushed they'd just get rid of the dog instead of try do the right thing and keep it content with exercise, toys etc. I agree though that this should not be up to you at all, as tempting as buying a few toys might be.

Maybe can you give them some pamphlets about companies like "Bark Busters" (they have them in Perth, not sure about other cities/towns, trainers that come out and promise to stop barking problems), citronella collars and also maybe some info about "kong" type toys that stimulate the dog a bit. And explain pretty clearly how it is affecting you and that you are losing patience with it a little? Does it bug the other neighbours?

Thanks
    Reviews

I feel for you. Our neighbors have a German shepherd that barks for hours and hours straight. It starts barking the second the sun goes down and doesn't stop until the owners come home around 11.30pm. It then starts again early in the morning and barks for a few hours straight. It gets to a point where you feel enraged by it because your losing your mind listening to it.
    We have kept 3 dog diaries as requested by the council, as have our other neighbors. each time the council says they agree that's its an issue and if it keeps up it will go to court. The owners shut the dog up for a couple of weeks, then it barks again, we ring the council and the council says do a dog diary for two weeks and whole process just repeats itself. We rang the local police one night after it had been barking for 7hours straight and they said it was out of their jurisdiction and nothing they could do. we have spoken to the owners many times, they are idiots , to sum it up quickly.
    Our lease is up in 12 weeks and even if DH hadn't got a new job so we are moving to anew area we still would of been moving house for our sanity sake. the poor neighbors that have Also been doing the dog diaries have been dealing with it for 18 months and own their house so can't just move.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:

Quote Originally Posted by casio1 View Post
    I would have thought if this was an option they would have mentioned it to you at the time, but some councils (like the one we used to live in) actually had a stock of the citronella anti-bark collars that they would loan out to try stop the barking and keep the peace between neighbours.

Sounds pretty grim for the poor dog, it sounds plainly bored and under-stimulated, not its fault but the owners sound like if they really were pushed they'd just get rid of the dog instead of try do the right thing and keep it content with exercise, toys etc. I agree though that this should not be up to you at all, as tempting as buying a few toys might be.

Maybe can you give them some pamphlets about companies like "Bark Busters" (they have them in Perth, not sure about other cities/towns, trainers that come out and promise to stop barking problems), citronella collars and also maybe some info about "kong" type toys that stimulate the dog a bit. And explain pretty clearly how it is affecting you and that you are losing patience with it a little? Does it bug the other neighbours?
    I have tried to suggest the collars to them, they have said they don't want to stop the dog barking. So they refuse to do anything.

It started again at 5:10am this morning and is still going. My DH almost lost the plot because I was crying from being so exhausted. He's brining me home ear plugs tonight to try and help me get some sleep.

I've been keeping a diary for almost 2 weeks of the barking, as have my other neighbour who are also sick of it, but it's just worse for us because our bedroom window is like 3m away from where the dog sits to bark.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I really feel for you. We used to have a dog next door that barked all night when the neighbours were away, so not every night. I love dogs but I could have cheerfully throttled this one.

If your neighbours are flat out refusing to do anything I'd send hubby over there to bang on their door at 5am when it starts barking, and ask them then to do something about it. Perhaps if it starts impacting on their sleep as well they might be more willing to cooperate!

I'm also quite appalled at the lack of assistance from the council. We have always had big dogs and we are out there at the slightest noise from them, no way would I let them just bark continuously