+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Breastfed baby starting daycare

Would you/do you send them with formula or ebm?

If you send ebm when do you express, it's just one day and she'll only need two bottles I could express each evening and freeze before she starts then on the day she's in daycare express & freeze for the following week. To avoid blocked ducts etc.

Or what do you do? I'm a bit nervous really!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Re: Breastfed baby starting daycare

She's going to be 10 months when she starts btw so really just 2 months of expressing and she can have cows milk at daycare if that's easier.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    DS started daycare (1 day p/w) at 14 months and was still breastfed. I just expressed and froze a few days worth before he started. He was having 2 150ml bottles at that stage. Then on the days he was in daycare I would express a couple of times and freeze that for the next week. Although I still had to express a bit extra during the week, as he consumed more than I could express on that one day in care. He was having EBM at daycare up until 18 months when he weaned and then just went to having a bottle of cow's milk before nap time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not quite the same but I went back to work and DH was at home with DS1. I expressed at work for him to have the next day. He had formula to top up a couple of times a week. I found by 10 months I didn't have to worry about blocked ducts if I missed expressing a feed, I just made sure he had a feed as soon as I got home

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Again, not quite the same but DH was looking after DD while I was at work. The months leading up to I used to express once to build up my freezer full of milk. Then I'd express once a day while at work.

Now that she's older she has a sippy of cows milk maybe, but I only really miss one feed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

My DD1 was 11months when she started Childcare and I could not get her to take a bottle! Therefore she had no milk during the day at daycare, 3 days a week, until she finally would take cows milk from a sippy cup at 14 months! I breastfed her morning, late afternoon and bedtime. i did not seem to have problems with milk or blocks. She would have a little bit of water, but never milk. I weaned her off breast at 12months, so for 2 months I just had to give her alternate sources of calcium so lots of cheese and yoghurt.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MummaOJ For This Useful Post:

jfblady72  (03-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

My dd2 is starting in 10 days and I'm sending in small bottles 80-100ml of milk as I'm unsure how much she will have with them.

She will be starting at 5hrs/day with a max of 7hrs. I've already started to offer water between feeds and have upped the solids. Daycare knows that I will call when on my way to pick her up from work (30min away) and will hold off all feeds till I get there.

It's breaking my heart.

Thanks
    Reviews

She loves water so at least I'm sure she'll be hydrated and eats anything (not a lot but she'll eat anything including dirt leaves sand etc)

If I send her with a bottle of frozen ebm from the week before if I take say 150ml out of the freezer at 7-8am would it be thawed and safe to drink at say 2pm?

And Ill try to express a bottle the day before as well so she'll take one fresh and one frozen/thawed.

Thanks
    Reviews

Or the night before???

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'll be returning to work 3 days a week when my baby is 9-10 months old.

I intend to build up some in the freezer first, and then I will pump 3 times a day while at work which should cover his feeds while I'm away. well, hopefully, that's what I did for my older son at that age and it worked.

Re defrosting, i used to send the milk frozen and my family daycarer would pop the frozen bottle in a large container of tepid water and it would defrost very quickly.

Will she take the full 150ml? My first son would only take 80-120ml at a feed, so I did smaller bottles to avoid any wastage.

Good luck! I found it really stressful sometimes finding the time to express, but hopefully it will work for you as it's only a day.