+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Boobs always engorged?

All of a sudden my breasts are filling (overfilling/going hard) within a couple of hours of feeding bubba. This has been going on for a few days now, sometimes after an hour they are hard again. I am concerned that bub is not draining the breast and therefor not getting the hindmilk and also telling my body to make less milk. What should I do? Sometimes she feeds for 20 minutes, sometimes only 5, and sometimes she feeds and sleeps on and off for hours and hours at a time. (Which I'm guessing is what's causing this problem?) Do I do nothing and let things happen as they have been, or should I act to save my supply from dwindling? (I have a pump but don't like to use it because I just pour the milk down the sink and always worry bub will wake hungry 10 seconds after I've pumped!). Also, bub has had very runny poos from the start, they've never once been cottage cheese or scrambled egg consistency, and are thin as water with a greeny tinge maybe once a week? Is this a problem? (she seems to be gaining weight fine and wee-ing heaps). Thanks in advance for any advice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    How old is bub?
    If she is putting on weight and weeing she sounds fine. Engorging is common, especially those first 3 months, if she is sleeping and missing feeds alot it could be why, when my bubs where young I fed like every 1-2 hours and still expressed.
    I'd start using that pump to help with engorging, you don't have to pump for long, just until you feel comfortable, or hop in the shower and do it by hand. But if you're worried about supply then I'd pump more and store the milk. Why do you throw it away? You should be storing it in the freezer, you may never know when you'll need it. There is also alot of women who would love donated breast milk!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sound just like what my dd & I are like. She is 15 months and I'm only just now daring to go out without breastpads lol.

I pumped and donated to a lovely lady near me that I met on a Facebook page called HM4HB Queensland (human milk for human babies) she just asked for my pregnancy std test results & it was such a great feeling to help someone out who desperately wanted to feed her baby breast milk but she had a medical issue that meant she didn't produce much milk.

My dd had the runny pops etc too and I think it's all normal for breastfed babies to be like that. Check out the aust breastfeeding associations website it has heaps of info on that kind of stuff

Thanks
    Reviews
    Are any of you in Melbourne?

Thanks
    Reviews
    bub is 9 weeks old, and i'm in pittsworth, qld. (near toowoomba).