+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I am going to going the anti of the op questoin, what I was glad I did cause I was pretty happy with my birth.

I was happy to be in hospital earlier, I like being where I am going to be as soon as I can be, then I don't have to move.

I was glad I had no birth plan really apart from if DS had to go somewhere DH was to go with him so he wasn't without one of us.

I was glad that even though I wanted a natural drug free birth when the time came I took the options and even ended up with emc. It worked out best for both of us.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Labour and Birth - What you wish you had known then?

After reading this thread the biggest thing ive noticed is everyone is different! Don't let some of these scare you, but don't think it will be a walk in the Park as you don't know which way it will go. One of the worst bits of labour for me was the anticipation of the pain to come, but it was never as bad as I imagined it was going to get!

I loved my hospital experience.
    I went in demanding an epidural for the pain but because my birth plan said I'd like to go without Epi if I can they encouraged other things first. Try the other things, they might surprise you! Loved the gas whilst in the bath and didn't need an Epi. I was do glad for that midwife!

Pushing was a blur, once she was her I didn't notice the placenta or stitches.

I expected terrible after pains but had none.

I wasn't in much pain after at all, I walked from birth suite and felt completely fine, just a little shaky like after a big workout. Bit sore the next day but not enough for pain killers.

Agree wholeheartedly on the visitors. I thought I wanted visitors to come. Lots came. Midwife told me shed get unsettled and I would too. Didn't believe her. Day 3 I was in tears making DH say no because they were non stop and don't follow visiting hours. I missed out on getting the most out of midwife info and visits because there were always visitors. I just wanted some time to cuddle my baby on my own!

If you aren't ready to leave hospy, ask if you can stay longer. We stayed a 5th night because I was enjoying it there so much, too much housework etc at home

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have had 2 very different experiences,

Bub one was a vaginal forceps delivery

* you can ask for the gas during the internal when getting induced. Breathe deep and long whilst they are doing the internals as it will help to relax you and open you up.

* You can ask them to stop during an internal , so you can regroup and try again
    *If getting an epidural, lean as far forward as you can as it will go in so much easier.

* Every time you breast feed buzz for the middy to come and check your attachment.Also ask to have a visit from the lactation consultant.

Bub number 2 was an induced birth that resulted in an emergancy c section.

* In thertre ask for them to be quite if they are all laughing and joking about. I had 5 med students in on my c section as I was a rare case. They were being very disrespectful. I asked them to hush and if they could not do that then they could leave. I'm glad I put my foot down.
    *when having a csection it feels like someone is washing up in your belly, very weird.
    * After your c section get up and start moving as soon as you can, oh and stay on top of your pain mate, its easier to stay on top of it rather than waiting till its bad and then fixing it.

A final note, a c section is a massive opperation and definatly not a walk in the park. It has a long recovery and can make dailoy tasks very hard to do such as getting up of the toilet. Be aware of all the risks as I was one of the ones where it did go very wrong. I was very sick afterward. I would never have one given a choice.

Good luck ladies in welcoming your little ones into the world. It is the most special thing you will ever do.

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week

I just thought of a couple more.

If you're not too squeamish, it's good to read up about the process of labour ie what's happening during contractions. I visualized what was happening inside me which helped give my pain purpose.

Also, watching/listening to the clock tick during my pains helped me focus.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Pru40 View Post
    Great thread idea.

I'd love to hear from those who have had an elective Caesarean section and regretted it... or not.

Also, what's labour and birth like after a long gap between kids. And what's it like when you're over 40. Anything different to anticipate?

I'm 30 weeks pregnant and planning on an elective C-section in a private hospital. I'm thinking less risk to baby, no pain and avoiding anxiety about my lack of fitness. My obstetrician suggests an induction at 38 weeks. But like the previous poster I recall a very painful birth of my son with the Syntocinon drip (15 years ago now but that memory is burned in).

I've been watching "One born every minute" on SBS as mental preparation.

My earlier experiences of labour and birth taught me that a birth plan can be largely irrelevant on the day and the only things I really needed from the carefully packed bags & supplies I took to hospital were hair ties, socks and lemonade ice blocks. I was only upset by things I hadn't expected or knew nothing of. I also found out that I had a strong instinct to be alone and not be touched while labouring - hadn't realised that was an option or a 'normal' feeling.
    In relation to watching 'one born every minute' as mental preparation, can I suggest reading some positive birth stories, reading up on some pain relief strategies (breathing, massage, tens machines etc) for the active part of labour - although with a c section this may not be releveant.

I was watching this show but have stopped. One series seemed really well balanced but the older series that has been on recently, I have stopped watching as for me, personally it was freaking me out.

I guess we need to remember birthing is a totally natural process and our bodies as women are well designed to cope with child bearing. It's quite amazing what happens to your body in terms of hormone release during the various stages, to assist with the process.

I am in no way anti 'c sections' and I know full well many women have c sections for various reasons. I guess it's good to be well read and know what all the options are. I am also not anti pain relief in any way. The only thing I wish for my upcoming birth is that I am knowledgeable about what is happening physically at each stage so I don't freak out. For me knowledge is power and if I know if I have an understanding of why I am feeling pain, I can make better choices at the time. This may or may not involve intervention/ pain relief, but I'm not sure as not in that situation yet.

I also agree with the PP who said that women of all fitness levels can give birth naturally and that our bodies are designed for this.
    Last edited by acerbaby; 12-02-2013 at 10:58.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to acerbaby For This Useful Post:

Pru40  (13-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

You can write a birth plan and have a good idea of what you want, but at the end of the day you may not have the birth you want.

And as PP have said you probably won't care if you are naked. I didn't even realise until I got in the shower after the birth!

One last thing, your DP might be a little traumatised by the birth... Even if it all goes pretty smoothly.
    Last edited by Taiyed; 12-02-2013 at 11:41.

demeter is offline Breastfeeding since 2008, tandem since 2010 (Free Breastfeeding Support: 1800 686 2 686)
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I wish I had known that the mental challenge can be just as hard as the physical challenge (particularly for a long labour).

I wish I'd known I needed to tell my support people to back off during my first birth. I really can't complain given how amazing my birth was, but those are the things I can see with hindsight that were issues.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I wish I had known that the moment you start engaging in real life again - i.e. doing the dishes, cooking a meal - that's it, the beautiful baby moon period ends! I should have shut it all out a bit longer and let hubby take care of it. And stopped caring about how messy the house was!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Very good thread. Wish I started it before DS! If I could go back in time and tell myself what I know now it would be:

* Don't even bother with that gas. It's gonna do nothing but make your eyes roll back in your head.
    * Birth in whatever position YOU want to be in, not the position your middy wants you in.
    *Hire a birth photographer! Or at least remind your mom that she's supposed to be filming, lol.
    * Get naked! And hold DS on your bare skin/let him feed while they stitch you up, he doesn't need to go get weighed straight away!
    * Don't feel obliged to take drugs you don't actually want (the one to speed up stage 3 of labour in my case).
    * Don't feel obliged to have his cord clamped straight away just because that's what the middy wants to do.
    * Put ointment on his bottom ASAP so that first pooh doesn't stick!
    * Continue ringing that bell for help getting DS attached to the breast but don't listen to anything they say about feeding as they all contradict each other.
    * Ask to bath DS is your own soap, not Johnson's!
    * Take more clothes for him as the hospital clothes for babies that tie up at the back are super awkward to put on and take off.
    *And the biggest one....RELAX! Quit making up things to stress about and enjoy your newborn.

I think that's all Over all it went pretty well considering I hadn't a clue.

ETA: Breath bub out instead of pushing so hard and you might avoid that 3rd degre tear hehe
    Last edited by captainscaptain; 12-02-2013 at 13:41.

up in the sky so high zoom zoom zooma zoom zoom
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I wish i knew and remembered every time, going to hard and fast on the gas when i finally give into pain relief makes me puke lol! Also first 2 time to take my own panadol in my hosp bag for after birth pains, and one my friends and family always as about is why i have never had a tear, from the first day i found out of i was pregnant with ds1 i started perineum stretching with lavender oil. Every night without fail for my first 3 pregnancies, nice deep warm bath with oils to soak for about 45 mins and stretching, still have never had a tear