+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I just thought of another one. I wish I had been told how much stitches would hurt! I couldn't sit properly for about 3 weeks. And sneezing, OMG!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Oh yeah, I wish someone told me the pain I'd feel straight after giving birth would be worse than the pain of labour. Everything was seriously throbbing, it really hurt.

Thanks
    Reviews
    subbing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Best piece of advice I can give is: YOU are the expert on birthing YOUR baby -- even if it is your first -- not the doctors, not the midwives! Trust your body, work with your body and your baby and do what feels right for you. Don't hand over control to ANYBODY else... that's when it all starts to fall apart. My two best births were the ones where I was just left to do my own thing.
    Know that fear inhibits labour and makes birth more painful. If you are fearful of the pain/intervention/outcome of the birth/whatever.... it will impact on the ease of the birth. (N.B. It doesn't have to be "heart-racing" fear -- just being concerned about knowing when you need to go to hospital can be enough to upset things.)
    Seek information/be informed. Question doctors/midwives on what they are doing and why (preferably before the birth -- distractions during birth aren't helpful). Understand that they don't like to be challenged and if you aren't co-operating they way they'd like you to they'll throw the "dead baby" card at you. Don't let them bluff you!

I hope you have the kind of birth you want.... but also know, that unless you are part of the population that doesn't care if they get herded through the hospital like sheep, getting the kind of birth you want is a struggle.... but certainly one worth fighting for!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to kbf2plus2 For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (18-10-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Labour and Birth - What you wish you had known then?

I honestly think everyone is different same as each of your births/pregnancies
    I would say read up on alot of info on stages of labour so your aware of what's happening to your body when midwifes talk to you don't stick to your birth plan it's great to have one but birth is something no one knows how it will go and sometimes it's too late for drugs or you may need a c section so if you hav a open mind you won't be so disappointed with the outcome speak up cause they won't know what you want or how your feeling try gas first if its startjng to be unmanagable as pain relief it isnt for everyone but,and when u use it take deep quick breaths it works a lot better then breathing normally.
    I watched birthing videos on you tube as I'm a weirdo and I like knowing what my vagina will go through it didn't put me off at all as Im ttc #3 but it was very interesting seeing it lol I had posterior labours for both and I wished I'd moved around more the bath helps if you can have one do it don't let the nurses/midwifes tell you what to do only you know what your body is capable of its amazing how we can deal with birth you will surprise yourself. I got a top up Epi with my second cause it was terrible bk labour but I wished I didn't as I didn't get to experience the birth at all it was like it was taken from me so next time ill try my hardest to go without it. You will be told so many things what to do what not to do but really at end if the day you take on what you want to and leave the rest behind its all trial and error we have all been there beforehand and I'm sure like a lot of other mums will agree they felt exactly the same anxious and overwhelmed by the whole thing but once you have your baby in your arms it all just disappears and it all suddenly was worth every min...

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by pippi View Post
    I wish I had known to say as soon as that drip goes in il have an epidural as well thanks! Nothing could have prepared me for the hell that are the contractions on the drip when being induced.
    Here here!! I had 2 minute long contractions that were a minute apart with 6cm's still to go! Getting an epi made my labour do enjoyable, and also helped with my emergency c-section as I didn't have to wait to get it done whilst DS' heart rate was dropping quickly.,

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Something I learnt today - if your waters have broken but no contractions for 24 hours they will likely want to put a syntocin drip in to induce labour. You can negotiate to go home with oral antibiotics and try to get labour going that way. I'm SO glad I did this today as my baby is posterior and having the syntocin as well would no doubt definitely lead to me having an epidural too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Be prepared for anything! I was all prepared for a long, difficult labour, and in the end it was 2.5 hours from start to finish for my first. Ridiculously, I actually had issues dealing with it because it was so intense and I was not prepared for it to happen so suddenly. My husband nearly missed the birth because I tried to play the hero and let him sleep for longer (I was induced and I sent him home).

Have as few visitors as possible at the hospital. You may be in shock after the labour and your hormones may turn you into someone you don't recognise and you feel like you have only a couple of days to learn EVERYTHING about being a mother. Anyone who won't understand this is not someone who deserves to see you at the hospital. I tried to please everyone and the people I was trying to please ended up getting petty and upset over something else anyway, so I should have just looked after myself.

Stage 2 of labour - your body just goes into orbit and completely takes over. You'll think you can't do it, but you can When pushing, push from low down, not with your upper body. Sounds obvious, but maybe practise isolating your lower abdominals because I had to work that out in labour.

I was completely naked throughout the process due to spending stage 1 in the bath. Apparently this is quite normal. Not what I expected though.

Lastly - it will end, and you will have a beautiful baby at the end of it!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sally1981 For This Useful Post:

MrsJorre  (09-01-2013)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week

Wow I just thought of something else - I don't know how I didn't know this, but, you know how there's all the hoo-ha and excitement about getting the head out? THEN they tell you that it's time to get the shoulders out! To me that was the hardest part, partly because I thought I'd just done all the hard work...

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by mrsharvey View Post
    Wow I just thought of something else - I don't know how I didn't know this, but, you know how there's all the hoo-ha and excitement about getting the head out? THEN they tell you that it's time to get the shoulders out! To me that was the hardest part, partly because I thought I'd just done all the hard work...
    And then there's the placenta. That was very unpleasant to push out.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to duckduckgoose For This Useful Post:

FingersxCrossed  (18-10-2013)