+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Labour and Birth - What you wish you had known then?

Oh and also adding that all I had heard about gas is bad things and how awful it made you feel- I LOVED it. I felt like I was in control and it helped level my breathing. If my head started to spin I stopped breathing the gas and breathed only air (without taking my teeth off the mouth piece haha!)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Labour and Birth - What you wish you had known then?

It's so interesting reading everyone's different experiences.
    I was induced due to being 2 weeks over. A few hours into the labour I tried the gas and I hated it. It interrupted my breathing pattern that was working for me so it was disregarded after two breaths.
    I didnt have any other pain relief and am glad I didn't.
    I've read so many horror stories about being induced and yet for me it was a largely positive experience. Yes it hurt but I was expecting it to hurt. I trusted my body and it did exactly that it was supposed to do.

I wish I knew then that despite the horror stories, birth (even induced with PPH and perineal and labial tears) can be natural and empowering

Thanks
    Reviews
    I planned a drug free birth using hypnobirthing techniques/relaxation, and was convinced I would feel no pain. I had horrific back labour which lasted 40 hours before I asked a different midwife for an epi - my original midwife said i couldn't have one because I wasn't dilated enough, gave me a pethidine shot instead which did nothing but make me vomit. I wish I had educated myself about pain relief prior to the birth, I didn't bother as I was convinced I wouldn't need it. I could have tried water injections or gas. Ended up with 48 hour labour, emergency c section, every intervention known to man, NOTHING like my birth plan. Also if your midwife isn't helping you, ask for someone else. My midwife joked with the med student while I was pushing and refused to tell me when I was having a contraction, so I pushed a lot when I shouldn't have, and missed lots of contractions. (I had an epi + drip and couldn't feel ANYTHING). Also you need someone there who will be your advocate - you need someone who can be your voice if you're too tired/overwhelmed to speak up for yourself. And bring snacks, I didn't eat for over 24 hours and this can't have helped with the exhaustion/spaced out feeling after the birth. And plan on having no visitors! I had family come to stay and had to send them home because I just couldn't handle it. Too much to learn to try to entertain guests at the same time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Does anyone have any tips or useful info on c sections? I may be looking down that barrel with my twins... Not if I have my way though..

X

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jessesgirl View Post
    Does anyone have any tips or useful info on c sections? I may be looking down that barrel with my twins... Not if I have my way though..

X
    Take lots of pairs of black Nanna undies with you to the hospital get a size bigger than normal aswell to allow for your tummy. Aswell as clothes that have higher waist, things that will finish on your scar are no good.

If the likelihood is that you'll end in an emergency c-section opt for the planned c-section, that way you're in control & your body won't be exhausted from pushing & also recovering from surgery, you'll be able enjoy your twins more... I'm 4 weeks post c-section & feel fine :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a c section and I was happily surprised at how well it all went and how easily I recovered. My tip would be to get up each morning to have a shower and put a little effort into hair and makeup (if thats what you like) and then you are all set for the day. I took pjs but ended up wearing loose track suit pants and singlets each day.
    I would also suggest putting baby into nursery at night sometimes to give you a rest.
    Also, stay in hospital for as long as you can! 3 meals a day delivered to your room is so helpful

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I second the larger undies size bizzo, although I don't bother buying black ones. I just buy a couple of 10 packs of el cheapos from Big W or something and throw them out lol.
    The only reason I did that is because it can be hard to find packs of just black undies. I spent a couple of weeks looking before I gave up and just bought coloured packs.

But for another suggestion, after you have a c-section it can be a while until you can get up and have a shower so get a pack of baby wipes or cleansing wipes specifically to clean up. Not only down below, but even just to wipe them over your arms and legs etc to give you a bit of a fresher feeling and help to perk you up a bit.
    I also recommend a pack of nappy sacks so that you have somewhere that you can put the wipes and ask someone to dispose of the bag.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had an emergency c-sect at about midnight. I was up and movign (gingerly but okay) the next morning, and tried to stretch and move gently as much as possible and found this helped me get going a lot better than I expected.

The one thing I should have paid attention more to is not sitting up to quickly and just getting out of bed, doing the roll that the physio will teach you. I think my tummy muscles would have been a bit happier because of it.

I was lucky I had my own bathroom and room so I would slowly totter over to the bathroom while someone was watching DS and have a shower. Was so much easier to face the day when I felt fresh.

I also found when I went to the shower I would get a bit of a dump of blood the first two days and then didn't ahve much bleeding after that so don't know if it helped or it was just how it happened with me.

Don't know if I have already said this, am sure others have, but restrict your visitors. You get bugged enough by ward nannies and stuff in hospital, that is your time to rest, bond and get into a routine with your baby. People can satisfy their need to see the baby when you are ready. If that takes three weeks then so be it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    During c-section - I had A cold washer on ny forehead to stop me panicking. And I had A glove with icecubes in ny hand so every time I could hear, or feel the tugging I would turn it around in my hand. Also, don't look up into a light if its not switched on (those big round operating lights) I saw a lot more than I planned to.

After c-section - I second the big undies... And the big clothes that go over your belly. Try and get moving or stretching ASAP. But when you first start, sit up (or get wound up on your bed) really slowly. I fainted after first c-sect.

Sent from my HTC One X using BubHub

10. The Following User Says Thank You to nat84u For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (21-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eko View Post
    I second the larger undies size bizzo, although I don't bother buying black ones. I just buy a couple of 10 packs of el cheapos from Big W or something and throw them out lol.
    The only reason I did that is because it can be hard to find packs of just black undies. I spent a couple of weeks looking before I gave up and just bought coloured packs.
    I got a packet of 5 big black undies from Target for $12. They were amazing and I'm still wearing them now 3 weeks later as I'm a bit scared of my normal hipster undies in case they rub on my wound.

I bought a pair of maternity tights from k-Mart for about $20 and they sat above my wound and were so soft and comfortable while I was in hospital and then for about a week after I got home. I'd recommend buying at least 2 pairs of these, they're great!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to JR03 For This Useful Post:

snowqu33n  (13-04-2013)