+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default How do you get the brown stains off your toilet bowl?

It's not enamel, it's porcelain! I have tried everything short of getting into it with a scourer... I didn't think that'd be a good idea, but I think that and some coke are going to have to be my next trial... I HATE dirty looking toilets!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Baking soda and vinegar work for me.

Dump in a cup of baking soda add vinegar and brush while it's doing it's fizzing action. I don't need to scrub hard. Other than that, I dump in a cup of baking soda leave overnight then scrub and flush.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014

Default Re: How do you get the brown stains off your toilet bowl?

I don't think there is much you can do if it's really badly stained.
    I've lived in and currently live in a house with a badly stained toilet. I've tried soaking it all day with bleach, bleach tables and toilet cleaner- all to no avail!
    I've tried bi-carb and vinegar, that didn't work either.

I'm curious about the coke theory now though. I've never heard it before. Wonder if it works?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

I've been told by a professional cleaner to recommend to my tenants to try pool acid

Thanks
    Reviews

Porcelaine, a year old, constantly scrubbed and it still stained? Sorry I'd still get a new toilet or take it back, it just sounds like its a lot of work to maintain or there is something wrong with it. I've had my toilet for years and it doesn't do that?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Pour boiled water into the bowl then tip some napisan oxyaction and leave for at least an hour. Flush.
    This always works for me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have hard water where we are and right down the bottom of the toilet (where the bit of water sits) gets a build up of something and looks brown and stained - like you're describing. The only thing that really works to clean it is undiluted CLR.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Someones Mummy View Post
    Porcelaine, a year old, constantly scrubbed and it still stained? Sorry I'd still get a new toilet or take it back, it just sounds like its a lot of work to maintain or there is something wrong with it. I've had my toilet for years and it doesn't do that?
    I have 3 toilets - all the same! I am pretty sure it is the water that has done it (we are on bore water, with high mineral and oxide content) I dont think a new toilet would be any different after a year - plus I can't afford to replace all 3 - they were about $800 each!

I clean the toilets myself - usually every 3 days with bleach...

I might give the CLR a try in a spray bottle and see how I go.. Nothing worse though, dirty looking toilets makes me feel unclean and I think guests must think we are dirty! Lol not that anything else is dirty...!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsoptomistic View Post
    I have 3 toilets - all the same! I am pretty sure it is the water that has done it (we are on bore water, with high mineral and oxide content) I dont think a new toilet would be any different after a year - plus I can't afford to replace all 3 - they were about $800 each!

I clean the toilets myself - usually every 3 days with bleach...

I might give the CLR a try in a spray bottle and see how I go.. Nothing worse though, dirty looking toilets makes me feel unclean and I think guests must think we are dirty! Lol not that anything else is dirty...!
    Oh ok, bummer! I hate cleaning toilets

Thanks
    Reviews
    It will definately be your water doing it op. Give the CLR a go, it should work. I clean the toilet every 3 or so days with bleach too, but still get the build up, so have to CLR it once every 2 or 3 weeks.