+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    SuperGranny is online now Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    my son sucked his thumb for his first year. found his thumb at 6 weeks and that was it. when he was about 1 we just said you're too big to suck your thumb now, and he stopped. my daughter, on the other hand, she started sucking two fingers on one hand from quite a young age. only two months or so. after she turned one , we began trying to stop her. nothing worked, she wouldn't suck her other hand only the left. I would think that even if we tied her hands behind her back she would have found a way to get her hand into her mouth. she continued past her starting school. I think she might have been 7 when she stopped, but the damage was done by then. her hand is quite deformed. she cant straighten her fingers, she cant lay her hand flat on a table. her hand looks like she has bad arthritis. she can use her hand 100% but it is not the same as her other hand. marie.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I sucked my fingers until I was 11 - had to have braces etc now my DD is sucking the exact same first hers I was so I'm freaking out lol try making them wear gloves cause that isn't a nice feeling in the mouth. Putting the yucky polish stuff on doesn't work cause once you do enough sucks it comes off so it never really bothered me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I was a thumb sucker and needed massive othodotic work. Like PP, I only really stopped when the plates went in and it became physically impossible.

A friend's DD has been trying to stop and they have just had a device fitted. I don't think they will put these in until a bit later (she is 8). It looks like this

I don't know if showing your child will scare them or they'll think it's cool. It does mean that there are a lot of foods she cannot eat though - so that could be used as a motivator for now?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I sucked my thumb at night right up to the day I got married. Something in brain just switch off that day and I have not done it since..
    My dd2 my only thumb sucker stop at 9yrs when she got double plates.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using The Bub Hub mobile app