+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Thumb sucking

How do you stop it??

Mr4 is a thumb sucker. Constantly. He's forever being told to get it out of his mouth, we've tried 'stop that' nail polish, punishment, telling him only babies suck their thumbs.

What have you dont thats worked?

Mr4's teeth are already suffering and while I know they are only his baby teeth, its still not good!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption

Default Thumb sucking

Subscribing tried everything you have and I'm at a loss too

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bpac For This Useful Post:

LivinOnAPrayer  (03-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    You can buy from the US a thumb guard which they wear over the thumbs. None of my kids were thumb suckers but my niece and nephew are and they are now 10 and 8 and still suck their thumbs. They have damaged their palattes quite badly and it does their parents' heads in.

it's such a hard habit to break.
    Last edited by Sonja; 03-01-2013 at 13:21.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DS wasnt a thumb sucker but used to suck the ears on his stuffed eeyore. It was leave red raw marks around his mouth as it was always wet and wouldnt heal.

I had to cut off eeyores ears and legs (which obviously you cant do with a thumb ) but at least he had something to give him comfort.

Is there a way that you can replace the thumb sucking habit with some else? Even as adults its hard to stop one habit cold turkey but if you can replace it with something not as bad it may help...like redirecting it from his thumb to a blankie or something. Sure there may need to be an intervention with the new habit but if its something not as bad then at least his teeth/palatte are being damaged anymore.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Thumb sucking

My brother was a thumb sucker. So mum gave him an old t shirt that he used to chew instead. But he was much younger ie 12mths.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Would you believe all three of mine do it aargh! We have been saying now for about six mths starting with 'when are you going to stop? Are you going to do it at school.' Etc he decided he wasn't going to do it when he's a big boy at schoolso we'll see.... He starts kindy soon. I just keep reminding him of it every now and then to help it along. I do hope it works his little teeth are getting a little 'shaped' from it. But they do say to try finish them by 5/6 yrs so I have a bit of time before I really panic - not too long though. This there's has reminded me I need to nag him again. I hope someone comes in with a success story!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Thumb sucking

You poor mums. Reason I say this is because if a child wants to suck their thumb then it's hell to get them to stop.

My dad is a dentist and I sucked my thumb till I was 10 every single night.

He tried putting that disgusting thumb tasting stuff on both my thumbs (I only ever sucked the one but he wasn't going to be fooled) and I literally would just suck it off for half hour.

He tried saying it was for babies, that I would get bucked teeth (which I did terribly 10mm between top and bottom teeth) :0

He tried thumb guards and still no good.

He tried telling me it would shrink, fall off etc.

He tried bribery (which was NOT his style) When I was 7 he said if I stopped sucking my thumb for 2 weeks I could have anything I wanted. Guess what I stopped for 2 weeks (hardest 2 weeks I can remember) and I got my reward but then started sucking my thumb again.

It wasn't until I was 10 when I got head gear (orthodontic equipment) to correct my terribly buck teeth that it literally prevented me from sucking my thumb that in turn cause me to stop. My teeth are now straight and perfect.

But if a dentist can't win then I dare say good luck to you all. I figure if they are terribly determined you may have to see them grow out of it.

This is why I chose dummies straight up knowing they carry less germs then a thumb nail etc and that I could throw it away when the time came unlike the thumb. Lol

Hope this isn't to negative, just another perspective. Again good luck and fx for you all

Thanks
    Reviews
    My niece was a bad thumb sucker and wanted to stop but just couldn't break the habit. Her teeth were quite badly affected also. Her parents ended up getting a dental aid sort of like braces that didn't allow her to suck her thumb and it worked. She is so much happier now and her teeth have improved dramatically too. It was expensive, over $1000 but it was the last resort after many years of trying to conquer it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistyk View Post
    My niece was a bad thumb sucker and wanted to stop but just couldn't break the habit. Her teeth were quite badly affected also. Her parents ended up getting a dental aid sort of like braces that didn't allow her to suck her thumb and it worked. She is so much happier now and her teeth have improved dramatically too. It was expensive, over $1000 but it was the last resort after many years of trying to conquer it.
    I tend to agree that you have to resort to physically preventing them from being able to suck it. It's similar to nail biting - no amount of harassing, bribing or nagging will break that habit. I was a nail biter for years until i had my wisdom teeth out and couldn't bite my nails for a few weeks - that broke the habit for me finally.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have tried everything too, with no luck, including the thumb-cover from the US. My son either sucked gross stuff off, snuck out to wash it or removed anything covering his thumb. Honestly we have about given up..and he is 7. He just can't kick it and though he says he wants to give up, he doesn't really..he loves it too much!

My DD was a thumb sucker too..she gave up at 5ish, though will occaisionally sneak it in at night (she is now 9). Vanity made her give it up..she didnt want "teeth like Bugs Bunny".

Needless to say, I made my last child have a dummy..much easier to get rid of!