+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Why is midnight suddenly playtime?

Hi all, what do you do when all your LO wants to do at midnight (ish) is play for 2 hours? 12 mth old DD will have already had 4-5 hours sleep, wake and want to play before getting tired enough to go back to sleep after about 2 hours.. what did you do for coping with this and did they eventually grow out of it??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Why is midnight suddenly playtime?

I have no experience with this sorry, but I think I would be keeping all lights off and not letting them play with any toys or anything. Keep it as dark and boring as possible, no talking etc and hopefully they will realise that when they wake in the night, there's nothing exciting happening and stop wanting to play. Good luck, that would drive me nutso!!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Why is midnight suddenly playtime?

Subbing for ideas seeing my nearly 2 year old does this every now and then its exhasting

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

DS does this Has been doing it since around 11 months old and hes now 16 months. He could honestly play all night! I noticed it coincides with him getting teeth, has your Lo been cutting teeth lately?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

How long does she nap in the day? What time does she wake from her last nap? Perhaps too she's sleeping too much or too late in the day? So she could be going to bed too early. Have you tried a later bed time?

Has she recently dropped a sleep? Maybe when she wakes up she thinks it's the end of nap time and not the middle of the night.

As a pp said, keep it dark and boring so that she gets that it's night time. What is your bedtime routine? Could you possibly repeat it when she wakes at midnight?

Thanks
    Reviews
    HHmmm... yes she has been cutting teeth lately.. 2 and another on the way, and she does seem to go through phases with the nighttime play! She has also dropped a day sleep and now sleeps between 12 and 2 (ish... very ish) for 1.5-2hrs with a bedtime of around 7, we do find that any earlier and she is more likely to have a playtime wakeup but its not always the case. But I think she is starting to prefer a 7.30 bedtime depending on if she has had a good sleep through the day.

As for the bedtime routine, we have a pretty simple and short one so its easy to repeat whenever she wakes in the night and thats the first thing we do (except for giving her another bath), but instead of nodding off she is bright eyed and bushy tailed!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Her teeth cutting could definitely be one of the reasons. DS has had quite a few phases of waking in the middle of the night and partying for hours and we would check his mouth in the morning sure enough there was a tooth coming through!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Lily View Post
    Her teeth cutting could definitely be one of the reasons. DS has had quite a few phases of waking in the middle of the night and partying for hours and we would check his mouth in the morning sure enough there was a tooth coming through!
    Do you find it lasts for a few nights or more?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

I find that if Its because of his teeth it will last anywhere between 2-5 days. But I guess it also depends how many teeth are coming aswell. I think one time it lasted over a week and he had 4 new teeth after it