+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Bubhub Blogger

Default Re: When you start struggling financially.

Don't apologise lumi. We all have to learn different things at different times!

Spent from my dome. Excuse autocorrect

Thanks
    Reviews

Default When you start struggling financially.

Quote Originally Posted by Izy View Post
    If you contact your electricity supplier they may be able to help you with a portable consumption meter. Might cost up to $100 but you can see how individual appliances effect real time consumption.

You can do similar by having one person stand at the meter box (you'll see a counter in there) and someone else inside turning switches on and off.

Might be faults on the wiring, might be a thirsty fridge that needs new seals, faulty appliance etc etc

Spent from my dome. Excuse autocorrect
    Ah ok, Dh and I will have to do this today!
    If we can at least find out or rule out our appliances as being the problem then it can only help us in the long run as the electricity bill kills us!

On another note, I do have a Trafe certificate, I never wanted to go back to that area of work as the hours just did not fit in with our family after having dd, going back into that work force also would have put pressure on my husbands work schedule.
    It's the industry and hours aren't negotiable.
    so I decided to pluck up the courage and do it from home, offering things that I can do at a time that suits us.
    We have now have some extra $$$ to go towards the credit card payments.
    By just me doing this we have already paid for this months credit card fees so it now allows us to put extra on them and have them paid off.
    At the moment it's just been for friends and then friends of friends.
    Even though its small work, it's helping

Thanks
    Reviews

That's great. A little bit extra will go a long way and help boost your confidence too.
    Also don't be afraid to ask questions. That's what we are all here for

4. The Following User Says Thank You to lulu21 For This Useful Post:

Izy  (06-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Subscribing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Don't know if someone answered the question re readings but yes the meter box should have your reading in there, I always cross check bills as I've heard many stories about guesstimating,
    The figure in your meter box should be just above ( in terms of usage) the figure on your bill. If your box is lower then you know they are guesstimating

αληθη is offline BH name read as Aleethee
    Winner 2012 - One most likely to be hacked by Nomsie
    Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post
    Sounds like there is definitely wrong with the electricity. Do you live in an older house? We lived in one that had issues with the lights dimming out/not working. When someone finally came out to look at it, it wa moments away from burning down apparently.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub
    That's scary!!!

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post
    Sounds like there is definitely wrong with the electricity. Do you live in an older house? We lived in one that had issues with the lights dimming out/not working. When someone finally came out to look at it, it wa moments away from burning down apparently.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub
    It's not old, well it's 9 years, is that classed as old in house years?

That's really scary, we have called them in the past but when someone comes out they just fiddle with the lights, get it working then leave 5 minutes later.. They don't actually check to see what's causing it.
    And a week later the lights aren't working again.

I'm going to call our PM tomorrow, Im going to tell her I want the electrics thoroughly checked.
    If again the guy just comes and goes ill call the PM back and tell her it's getting worse or something..
    We have been here 2 1/2 years now and we have had aprox 5 electricians come out and leave really quickly...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    our old place was a very small 4x1 1995s built, our power bills were up to $400 for 2 months. We were very conservative with power, but the electrics on the house sucked. The energy saving bulbs that are supposed to last forever, would only last weeks. Electrician claimed there wasnt much that could be done.

Now we live in a 4x2 which is about double the size and our bill was only 230 for 2 months, thats with using the drier, dishwasher and aircon a fair bit. The only difference is that was have ducted evap aircon, which tends to be relatively cheap to run - compared to a reverse cycle unit, we also have gas hot water here, but electric at the other place. Electric storage systems are ridiculously expensive to run

Thanks
    Reviews

Update: we might have a power break through!!!
    Ok so we decided to take everyone's advise and measure our appliances power usage, every thing was on par with usage (we pulled a list off the net which gave us an indication of roughly how much each appliances should use)
    Every things was fine, 1 thing I was shocked at is just how much fans and lights can use! Especially with how much we had them on, also things on standby! You might as well just have then turned on.
    They don't use heaps, but when you compare it to things you thought did use heaps.. It's a bit of a shock.

Now another thing we found out.. Don't laugh and our stupidity ... But we only have Off Peak hot water! Not off peak power.
    I found this out by looking up on the net why we had two meters and a ripple control thing.
    I called my provider (AGL) and yep sure enough only off peak hot water.
    So we WERE under the impression that at 11pm-7am we paid 11c per kw (or how ever they measure it)
    And that's when I would try to do most of our things like washing etc.
    we are actually paying 24c per kw!!!! Every single hour of every day (except for hot water which heats up at 11pm and cost 11c)
    AGL says to get off peak we can
    A, install a new tarif
    B, instal a smart meter which send off readings to them every 30 minuites..
    Both cost extra money and puts us into a 24 month contract... I'm thinking of changing providers but not sure yet.

So at 5pm I wrote down the meter reading, we saved as much power as we could.
    At 5pm the next day we wrote it down again to see how much we used during a 24 hour period.
    Hubby who is good with all the number side of things worked it all out comparing it to our old bills.

So the findings were:
    •Our average daily cost for elec was $7.20 a day (that's going off old bills)

• These past few days where we have saved and been more conscious of what uses more power than others, turning things off an being more strict with it all.
    our average daily cost now is... $3.80.
    If we stick to it that's a massive saving!

We have decided to keep track of our meters every 24 hours from now on and write it down as we noticed once the daily use had gone up and we were able to sit down and work out why so that we can now keep on top of it.
    Today's should be the lowest reading yet as I have changed all the lights to new lower watt energy saving bulbs, and haven't used the air con, yes it's hot (we have a heat wave right now) but I'm surprised at how we have copped with it so far.

Tracking the power usage has become like a little competition to see how low we can get.
    It also gives us a record to see if we get ripped off.
    We are doing the same for the water as well.
    The real estate is still coming out to check everything with the power though, just incase we can save more

Thank you all so much!
    Every single persons advise on here has helped us so much already

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Lumi For This Useful Post:

kochanski  (08-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Wow that's a huge savings