+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default When you start struggling financially.

Just though I'd mentioned value depot, I'm going to check it out soon but it's like Costco bulk buying and cheap, then if you could get together with some other families and share the shop you could save a bucketload.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I dont know which elec company you are with and I'm not even sure if they still do this but I set up a payment plan with them its called easipay, i do $60 per fortnight, so when the bill comes even if I owe money, instead of a "due now" amount, it just says "ongoing payment plan", sometime I am even in credit with them which is nice. However at the EOFY, when we get some tax back, I just pay off a bulk amount, like $200, which puts us ahead for the year. Its worth looking into, it takes off a fair bit of stress. Also, I like to plan ahead when it comes to Christmas and Birthdays and I put stuff on layby and pay it off, the Kmart toy sale is good for this coz you get six months to pay it, last year I even put extra stuff on layby and instead of giving it all at Christmas, have set it aside for my daughter's b'day which is in April. Sorry for the long reply, we have struggled greatly in the past and I totally sympathise. Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Bubhub Blogger

Default Re: When you start struggling financially.

If they don't do easy pay you can set up a reoccurring bill payment from your account using the bpay details.

Spent from my dome. Excuse autocorrect

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    To me, that is an insanely high power bill. That is my power bill once a year after running the reverse cycle each day for heating. However, we do not have a gas bill.

What electrical appliances are you using?

I disagree about not having a credit card. If you can clear it and use it as a backup they are handy.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Aquillah For This Useful Post:

Izy  (06-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillah View Post
    To me, that is an insanely high power bill. That is my power bill once a year after running the reverse cycle each day for heating. However, we do not have a gas bill.

What electrical appliances are you using?

I disagree about not having a credit card. If you can clear it and use it as a backup they are handy.
    I agree! That amount seems very high. Our bill is usually 200/ quarter. It was 450 after winter. And we are not careful at all :-/

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Our bills been $400 at most and thats using the dryer / aircon daily, with two fridges, tvs still blasting.
    Just wondering if your bill has always been that high? If you are renting and it's only since moving in maybe talk to the agent as there could be something wrong. Also have you checked the meter against your bill? Some companies guesstimate

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Plan2bamummy View Post
    Our bills been $400 at most and thats using the dryer / aircon daily, with two fridges, tvs still blasting.
    Just wondering if your bill has always been that high? If you are renting and it's only since moving in maybe talk to the agent as there could be something wrong. Also have you checked the meter against your bill? Some companies guesstimate
    Sorry I haven't popped back in,

Yes, after asking more about others electricity I'm under the impression that something isn't right!
    I've been more cautious to see how much we are using (not trying to save just try to gage what we seem to be using now) and really it's not much when you compare it to others who have much cheaper bills.

Yes we have the air con on, but it's on for about 2 hours every day, some days we never put it on though.
    We only have 1 air con in the living room.
    I do not own a drier.
    We have laptops so we don't have a computer running 24/7.
    Lights only get used at night.
    Nothing outside requires power.
    The hot water system is electric but it's brand new, we also have off peak.
    Celling fans are on a bit but only in 3 rooms of the house, that certainly shouldn't cause a big $$$ power bill.
    We don't seem to use the dishwasher heaps, aprox once a week, every other day it's a small hand wash load.

The TV is a 42 inch LCD.
    That's on a lot.
    We only have 1 tv.

Pretty much from really taking note on what we use its been on average;
    • air con max 2 hours a day
    • lights in living room and kitchen at night
    • we eat more of a raw food diet that consists of fruit, veg, grains.. We do have meats but I cook and freeze them in meals once a fortnight, that's really the only time the oven and cook tops get used.
    • TV on 10 hours a day
    • ceiling fans run 24/7, during the day it's the living room fans, play room and dining area fans.
    At night it's the living area, our room and DDs room. So no more than 3 fans at once
    • the washing machine is used twice a week
    That's it really.

Some really really hot days the air con might be on more, but after to speaking to some family and friends it still should be that much!
    At my Inlaws house they have ducted air con that runs about 8 hours a day, they have 6 people currently staying there from over seas at the moment, they have a pool and re-charge the caravans, have 3 TVs and the office computer and appliances never get switched off, there kitchen is used frequently through out the day and the hot water isn't off peak.
    The last bill was $1100..
    So you would think ours would be no more than $500.

My sister has a salon from home, power is used a lot and she pays around $400 a quarter.
    She has more living at her house too.

Something isn't right.

Really stupid question, HOW do I check the electricity meter?
    Is it in the power box?
    How would I go about investigating it?
    With the real estate, we do have problems with lights no working than working later on.. We have called them about it a few times and an electrician comes out but it just happens again..
    If the electrics were faulty, how would someone go about looking into that? As other electricians have just come in fiddled for 5 minutes and left only to have the light not working again in a weeks time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014

Sounds like there is definitely wrong with the electricity. Do you live in an older house? We lived in one that had issues with the lights dimming out/not working. When someone finally came out to look at it, it wa moments away from burning down apparently.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Bubhub Blogger

If you contact your electricity supplier they may be able to help you with a portable consumption meter. Might cost up to $100 but you can see how individual appliances effect real time consumption.

You can do similar by having one person stand at the meter box (you'll see a counter in there) and someone else inside turning switches on and off.

Might be faults on the wiring, might be a thirsty fridge that needs new seals, faulty appliance etc etc

Spent from my dome. Excuse autocorrect

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Izy For This Useful Post:

Carpe diem 2013  (12-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Sorry for all the questions, My husband and I have only really been living in our own place for 4 years, before that we always shared, we all had full time jobs, no kids, and bills were just split.
    It's been a huge learning curb for us.
    I've never had to deal with things like this and worry about how much things are costing due to being on one wage.
    We have been living under a rock it seems for the past 2 years since dd was born with all these things.
    So I apologize for any ignorance I have towards all these things.