+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default When you start struggling financially.

My dd is 2 years old and I'm a SAHM.
    I do work on Saturdays but its helping out family, I do get paid for it.

We can pay all our bills etc, its just we are left with nothing after all that.
    No savings.. Nothing.
    We had to use our credit card a few times in an emergency and I hate that that's what we rely on, we have had to increase it a few times because something like car troubles come up, medical emergency.. I really want to build a savings for those purposes and get rid of the card.

We rent and obviously one day we would love to own our own home, which IS impossible right now.

I'm now considering just going back to work full time, but I know I wouldn't be happy and I would regret it.

The thing is, our daughter could be the only child we ever have, I have fertility issues as does my husband.
    IVF is just something we can't afford,
    I'm really blessed just to have our daughter, it's something we have come to accept and if we only have her then we are more than happy with that.
    But, we always said I would stay at home with her until she was in school, I do not want to miss any of it, she has already grown so quickly.. I'm afraid that if I start working it will all just slip away from me.

But I hate that we don't have savings, I hate the feeling of just making it by, hate the feeling that birthdays and Christmas send us broke.

Im going to be honest, I know there is a few areas we overspend in.
    And I need help with how to change that.
    - we aren't strict on electricity.. Our bill is usually $700-$800 a quarter!!!! Which I know is beyond huge.

- our water is above average.. We defiantly could be saving there.

- food shopping has gone down, but I know it could be better $250 a F/N for the 3 of us, $300 every now and again when cleaning products and toiletries are needed.

- credit card.. Well.. We suck with it!!
    At tax time we are all proud because we paid the dam thing off.. Then we just go spend on it!
    I really want to cut the thing up!
    Repayments on that are a killer.

- we have 3 animals.
    2 small dogs, 1 cat.
    The cat eats home brand.. The dogs eat special vet food because if they eat anything else they get upset stomachs.. Is there a way to make your own dog food?
    Because the dog food costs us $80 a month.
    Then flea treatments, worming and all that also cost us monthly.. We use front line but I don't know if that's a cost that can be cut down.
    I've had the dogs for 9 years, I would hate to have to get rid of them, the cat we would consider finding a new home for, he is old and we can't give him the attention we once could.

- when we do get extra money, I will admit, we don't tend to put it away, it's gets spent on things that seem necessary at the time, but looking back it was more of a "I want" purchase. So I'm more than willing to learn how to control my spending.

- our car is cheap to run, we own it and it costs us nothing so that's handy!
    But when things like services or little fixes need doing we struggle to find the money.

The big things that kill us are
    - the credit card
    - water and electricity
    - car rego and services
    - extra "Want" purchases

I'm after any advise, any tips, I would be more that happy to hear your budgets on things like power, water, food, car, pets anything like that so I can aim for something better.
    I need to change out spending habits ASAP.

I'm going to give myself 6 months to turn it all around so we are on a better path, my husband and I have agreed that if in 6 months time nothing has changed then its back to work for me.
    I'm really after any advise that you can offer.

Thank-You in advance

*Im sorry about typos, there is most likely many*

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Is it possible to get some casual/part time work around your husbands job? Could you do nightfill in a supermarket a few nights a week to bring in some extra money?

Thanks
    Reviews

As pp said get a night fil position 2-3 shifts a week. It would be after your daughter is in bed probably so you won't miss spending time with her. The extra money would help. Concentrate on getting your electricity bill down. You can save heaps there! All the little things add up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would suggest finding a 2 or 3 day a week job and have your daughter in childcare for those days. You will still be spending time with her ever other day and before and after picking her up, and I think you'd be surprised how much they thrive and grow as a little individual when they go to childcare just 2 days a week. I was in same position as you when DD was 8months, we started me working 2 days while she went to childcare. I chose a centre around the corner from work and visited her on my lunch break and I think she really benefitted from it all ad so did I.
    It may not be the right suggestion I'm just wanted to put forward that having her away from you a couple a days can be a good thing. Can make the days together even more special, plus you'll have a little more money for fun things to do with her. Zoo, concerts, pools etc..
    Good luck

5. The Following User Says Thank You to parentingrocks For This Useful Post:

Albert01  (03-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

I have been looking at night fill work
    There are jobs going, but none around our area right now.
    We do live in a smaller area and I'm not wanting to travel 30kms+

But night fill is something I would most defiantly consider.
    It might be worth me just dropping in my résumé instead of looking online.
    Night fill work would be the most ideal job for me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    But night fill is something I would most defiantly consider.
    It might be worth me just dropping in my résumé instead of looking online.
    Night fill work would be the most ideal job for me.
    Yep, definitely worth giving it a shot. I did night fill for years and a lot of the staff got jobs by dropping in and speaking to the grocery manager.

You will find some stores are strict on the 'you must apply online' rule but it's still worth a shot.

Thanks
    Reviews
    They say that the easiest way to make money is to save money, after being a SAHM for a year I have to admit its very true. I think you should look at saving more money with what you have before thinking about working, personally I would be like you and feel like I'm missing out on my baby growing up!
    So I woul put that credit card in a draw and forget about it, do not use it! Then start a money jar system which is great for variable expenses like groceries and 'play money' and so on. With your bills you need think that every time you use the water or leave the lights on its money down the drain... think of it like a ticker it just keeps on ticking...
    turn the power off at the power points, even the little red lights keep that ticker going, think of ways to cut your water consumption - for example we have a gym membership so we try to go in the morning and we shower there, kill two birds with one stone - wash clothes with cold water and do not use the dryer!
    About the pets, you can definitely cook for them, I go to the butcher and get the off cuts for $5 kg or whatever is on special for less (like sausages or mince) I cook it up with vegetables and then make rice or pasta to make it go further as I have large breeds, I figure it must be better than anything from a can. And after consulting with a vet I was told that fleeing is not necessary every month, we do it every 3 months (he sleep inside) and we got the worming injection which they reckon will be good for 2 years because he is a mostly inside dog.
    theres a million ways to save, but start with keeping track of your expenses, think twice before buying something, always look for used or alternative options and do the groceries with a list and a ccalculator
    hope this helps!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sign up to a website like Simple Savings, lots of really good tips to help get ahead (even just the monthly newsletter is helpful)!

Have you tried cleaning with vinegar and bicarb? Heaps cheaper than chemicals and better for you - lots of suggestions on this via google

Oh and if you can get hold of an energy meter then you can measure how much electricity your appliances use, some use as much on standby as they do when in use! Computers, fridges and microwave were our worst culprits (we borrowed a meter for free from our library). You can buy powerpoint timers from hardware stores so that your appliances are only on (or on standby) at certain times of day, some timers even come with a remote so you can switch the powerpoint on and off easily!
    Last edited by kochanski; 02-01-2013 at 20:44.

Thanks
    Reviews

Try and put money aside each week to pay into your electricity account so when the bill comes u have a fair bit paid off. What sort of appliances are u running old heaters/ tv/ fridges dryers
    Turn everything off at the power point do washing at nyt time and hang it out . Try not to have everything on at once e.g tv, dryer, oven vacuum etc. check your fridge do the seals need replacing check your hot water system turn the thermostat down change all of light bulbs over to energy savers.. Meal plan. Write a budget and stick to it. For rego set up a bank acc and transfer $20 per week into it like a netbank saver ( no fees can't withdraw money unless u transfer it into an everyday account. Do the same for Xmas/birthday (this is what I do and it really helps as its only a small amount goin out so I don't notice and it's gone before I'm tempted to spend it. Don't be afraid to buy second hand. And sell some of ur unwanted stuff it took me a while to get into this but I wear second clothes and everything my kids and DH do too and we have never looked back I also buy my kids preloaded toys. Try looking online for flea worming treatments can save a few bob there.
    Cut up your credit card. They are not worth it. And try and save even if its $20 a week to begin with once u get the hang of saving u just get used to it . And when tax time comes put all that money straight into a high interest savings account.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Bubhub Blogger

Default Re: When you start struggling financially.

To be honest it sounds as though more income won't mean mite savings until you take control of your choices.

Perhaps treat savings as a bill. You put $5 or $10 aside each pay.

There are lots of ways to save water. Turn the tap off when brushing teeth, or lathering hands to wash them.

Don't fill the sink for dishes, out the bath tub at bath time.

Only wash clothes with a full load. Wear jeans and "light wear" clothes more than once between washes

Spent from my dome. Excuse autocorrect