+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 20w scan getting done at 24w, is this okay..?

Hey there, has anyone ever had a 20w/morphology scan done this late??
    the hospital can only do it at 24w because they are fully booked.
    Just wondering if it will affect it at all, as in normal size of baby, etc.

Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not sure if this helps, but I have just booked for my 20 week scan. They told me that up to 22/23 weeks was fine but I am sure they can adjust the readings to account for the extra week or so. I always thought that the baby needed to be 'big enough' (hence from 20 weeks) so they could check all the body parts etc. I wouldn't think that being a bit over would matter...

I hope it all works out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The only issue I could see arising is that if a major abnormality/life limiting condition is detected and you would consider termination, the situation becomes significantly more complex since you would need "approval" for termination from an ethics committee. I dont work in the medical field nor do I have personal experience just going on what I remember reading at some point. Not sure if it's relevant in oz or if it's just from when I lived overseas.
    However, if the budget can stretch get your gp to refer you for a private scan. That way you won't have extra time stressing all is well. I paid the money- couple of hundred from memory(may not even be that bad).
    Hope other posters have more up to date info

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks guys! That's what I thought that maybe it would be better since body parts would be bigger, etc. but just wasnt sure.. If anything I'm more impatient!
    That makes sense about termination, never even crossed my mind that it would be a factor .

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you are thinking of paying privately and getting the scan done sooner, I had my 12 week scan done privately and the cost was $220. Guessing that 20 weeks will be similar.

Thanks
    Reviews

It's actually harder for the tech to see all the relevant body parts in a larger baby; that's why it's done at 20 wks.

Thanks
    Reviews

The ultrasound tech at my hospital recommended with my second to have it at 22/23 weeks as things are more clear, my first has a few issues. So I don't see the harm having it at 24 weeks, if anything it's probably better for seeing things clearly.