+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    One example off the top of my head...

Fir christmas my Nanna got me (and my brother) a gift voucher for... a local chemist (the one gift voucher - we have to share it).

My other brother got no present! Yep, nan is losing it. (Love you nan).

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (02-01-2013),Boobycino  (02-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My XMIL is weird. She is so so lovely and helpful but is oh so weird.

She's another who uses empty containers for leftovers. Oh and leftovers get used for a good couple of weeks.

She cooks things to death.
    Then she will leave it in the oven turned off for when the rest of the family come home. Or she will leave it in the oven turned off for hours until it is room temperature so she can put it in the fridge.

She makes mayonnaise out of sweetened condensed milk.

She puts hair ties, rubber bands, hair ribbons, etc around door handles. But not just one door handle, every door handle in the house. She does it at my house too.

She uses wool and/or sticky tape to fix EVERYTHING.

She puts things in things. Hard to explain. But for eg, she will pick up little things like Lego pieces, pen lids, anything little, off the floor and put in in one the aforementioned containers. Then she'll put that container in a bowl that she's just washed up. Then that one in a bigger one, then those in a saucepan, then all that on a plate. Then she'll put more odds and ends like pegs, screws/nails, on the plate. Then she'll add more bits and pieces into another small container and stack it on top.
    Repeat for another pile of things in things, then place these all over the house.

She hoards everything. A couple of years ago XFIL threatened to leave her, because she had kept a very old broken down fridge that was rusty and mouldy. Her reasoning was that it was a gift for their wedding (30 years ago), so she couldn't throw it away. She hid it at her mum's house. Then her mum needed the room so she had it delivered to my garage. Then I moved house so had to give it back. It stayed in their dining room in the walkway and XFIL begged and begged her to get rid of it but she refused. She desperately asked me to have it in my house but I said no. Then she moved it outside and said it's ok FIL, it's now a potplant holder so we don't have to get rid of it. That's when FIL threatened to leave if she didn't organise for it to go to the tip. She still didn't but he ended up taking it when she was out.

Oh forgot about this one- she moves furniture around in the middle of the night. I would constantly wake up in teh morning (we lived with them after ex left me, for 2 years!!) and furniture would be in different places. Alot of these things were hutches and cabinets that were stuffed to the brim with junk, so very heavy. She also moved my beautiful dining table around so much that she ripped the screws out of their fittings and it had to be repaired.

She never uses the handbrake on her car.

Oh I could go on all night....

4. The Following User Says Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (02-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    My XMIL is weird. She is so so lovely and helpful but is oh so weird.

She's another who uses empty containers for leftovers. Oh and leftovers get used for a good couple of weeks.

She cooks things to death.
    Then she will leave it in the oven turned off for when the rest of the family come home. Or she will leave it in the oven turned off for hours until it is room temperature so she can put it in the fridge.

She puts hair ties, rubber bands, hair ribbons, etc around door handles. But not just one door handle, every door handle in the house. She does it at my house too.

She uses wool and/or sticky tape to fix EVERYTHING.

She puts things in things. Hard to explain. But for eg, she will pick up little things like Lego pieces, pen lids, anything little, off the floor and put in in one the aforementioned containers. Then she'll put that container in a bowl that she's just washed up. Then that one in a bigger one, then those in a saucepan, then all that on a plate. Then she'll put more odds and ends like pegs, screws/nails, on the plate. Then she'll add more bits and pieces into another small container and stack it on top.
    Repeat for another pile of things in things, then place these all over the house.

She hoards everything. A couple of years ago XFIL threatened to leave her, because she had kept a very old broken down fridge that was rusty and mouldy. Her reasoning was that it was a gift for their wedding (30 years ago), so she couldn't throw it away. She hid it at her mum's house. Then her mum needed the room so she had it delivered to my garage. Then I moved house so had to give it back. It stayed in their dining room in the walkway and XFIL begged and begged her to get rid of it but she refused. She desperately asked me to have it in my house but I said no. Then she moved it outside and said it's ok FIL, it's now a potplant holder so we don't have to get rid of it. That's when FIL threatened to leave if she didn't organise for it to go to the tip. She still didn't but he ended up taking it when she was out.

Oh forgot about this one- she moves furniture around in the middle of the night. I would constantly wake up in teh morning (we lived with them after ex left me, for 2 years!!) and furniture would be in different places. Alot of these things were hutches and cabinets that were stuffed to the brim with junk, so very heavy. She also moved my beautiful dining table around so much that she ripped the screws out of their fittings and it had to be repaired.

She never uses the handbrake on her car.

Oh I could go on all night....
    I think you win...

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sunnyflower For This Useful Post:

babycart  (02-01-2013),Boobycino  (02-01-2013),CMF  (02-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default What are the strangest things your relatives do?

She's not weird CMF; she's mentally ill, no doubt about it

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Marepoppin For This Useful Post:

twotrunks  (02-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

My nana takes anything from restaurants or hotels that is free... eg. The salt, pepper and sugar sachets on the tables, paper napkins, etc. she will take the m&ms from the desert bar at sizzler and scoop them into her purse! She also has a whole cupboard full of the free shampoo, conditioner, soap etc from hotels...

My grandad washes disposable plates / cutlery and uses them again... Even paper plates!! He gets upset if you write his name on a birthday card envelope cause then he can't use the envelope again. He also rips the front off birthday/Christmas cards, so that he can write on them like a postcard and use them again...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Where do I start?? I could be here all night!

My personal favourite is certain relatives who keep their toothbrushes in the fridge to slow bacteria growth.

This is a step up, though, from the weak bleach solution they used to keep them in for the same reason.......

Thanks
    Reviews
    When my hubby's grandma has a cup of tea she licks the very tip of the teaspoon and dips it in sugar so she has a few grains of sugar on it and then stirs it in her tea...I really don't know how that would even sweeten it enough to notice, but it's pretty funny to watch.

Hubbys grandad is 90years old and paid extra for a 7 year extended warranty for his washing machine he just bought. Seems pretty optimistic. He thought he was funny though

One thing I find really strange to the point it is annoying. Hubby's parents ring every Sunday through the time period when they get 20mins for free. They set a timer for 20 minutes and it doesn't matter if you are halfway through telling a story they will interrupt and say 'have to go now' I find it SO rude. Especially once when we were having an emotional chat about IVF and they did this.

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    My nan used to do this....I think it's yummy. Everything else....wowzers.

Thanks
    Reviews

I rearrange furniture in the middle of the night ...

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by NancyBlackett View Post
    I rearrange furniture in the middle of the night ...
    At someone else's house?