+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default What are the strangest things your relatives do?

My mum likes to keep her bread in the fridge and buy coles bbq chickens, freeze them and eat them at a later date

My MIL goes around her property at night collecting cane toads, freezing them in her freezer then puts them into her compost bin. I can understand the reasoning behind wanting to get rid of them due to the problems they cause for the native wildlife but opening her freezer to get some ice cubes only to be met with a bag full of toads is just a touch disturbing..

2. The Following User Says Thank You to bini86 For This Useful Post:

jagamoe  (02-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

My dad and his partner diligently collect kitchen scraps and put them in their compost bin. That's great, but they NEVER put compost from their compost bin on the garden...kind of pointless really!!

Plus, it stinks if they leave kitchen scraps in the little tub on the bench for too long before taking it outside. I don't know why they bother

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Too many to mention. Practically everything my relos do is strange!

(On dads side that is... Mums side are just neurotic)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    My dad and his partner diligently collect kitchen scraps and put them in their compost bin. That's great, but they NEVER put compost from their compost bin on the garden...kind of pointless really!!

Plus, it stinks if they leave kitchen scraps in the little tub on the bench for too long before taking it outside. I don't know why they bother
    Keeps it out of landfill - food waste is the biggest contributor to landfill and as it breaks down it emits gases that are bad for the environment

The only thing I can think of at the moment is my grandmother buying loads of milk and freezing it. She says she never runs out of milk, but she has a milk bar down the road so I'm not sure why it would matter if she did!
    Last edited by shelle65; 02-01-2013 at 15:41.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post

Apparently if you put something that has disease in the compost and then use the compost, it diseases your whole garden! I thought my pop was weird for not composting as they have the most amazing vegetable garden till he told me that

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I could be wrong, but I think freezing cane toads is the humane way to kill them. As in they "go to sleep" rather than die in pain.
    I keep bread in the fridge as it takes us a week to go through a loaf....uh oh, I'm the weird relative!

Thanks
    Reviews

Strangest things my relatives do...
    My nan and pop boil sausages when they buy them, put them in the freezer and just use as normal. They say it gets all the fat out of them but hmmm I think it's weird :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014

Default Re: What are the strangest things your relatives do?

Growing up, my mother always froze milk and bread as she only shopped once a fortnight.
    I didn't relise it was weird to this? Plenty of people seem to do it.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by shelle65 View Post
    The only thing I can think of at the moment is my grandmother buying loads of milk and freezing it. She says she never runs out of milk, but she has a milk bar down the road so I'm not sure why it would matter if she did!
    love it!

αληθη is offline BH name read as Aleethee
    Winner 2012 - One most likely to be hacked by Nomsie
    Thanks
    Reviews

We put our bread in the fridge? My gran freezes hers but that's just smart as you defrost it and bam good bread? :/
    Bread does go stale quicker in the fridge apparently but I've always done it and so has dp.

I can't think of anything strange my relatives do *shrugs*