+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Must have baby items

I was wondering if there were any must have baby items that you have used that were really worth getting. We already have a bit of stuff but I wanted to make sure I bought good quality stuff that we will actually use rather than things we might not use.

We already have the basics - cot, change table, Moses basket bassinet, baby monitor, breast feeding chair, I candy pram, carseat, Byron bag sling, ipod with docking station, plus lots of clothes, wraps, blankets , socks and singlets.

We are going to get a baby carrier, a good breast pump (as baby could be premmie), milk bar breast feeding pillow, a nappy bin with the bags in it and I was considering a fisher price my lil lamb swing.

My mum is throwing me a huge baby shower so I didn't want to buy too many toys/wraps/clothes/bath stuff/bumbo in case we end up with too much stuff.

Are there any other items that you found great that were really a help for the first few months?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sounds like you already have loads of stuff. Honestly you dont need much and I found it better to wait to see what I actually did need because a lot of stuff you wont even use.
    My only tip is a packet of terry toweling nappies as spew rags - I use them for everything.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Subbing as I'm starting my small collection

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

A pop top filtered water bottle. Breast feeding makes you THIRSTY in the early days and you need to be able to do things one handed. Sounds silly and not really a "baby" item but a must have for me!

Comfy nursing bras? Kmart have a 2 pack of stretchy crop top style nursing bras that are excellent for the price. I desperately wish I had of had these in the first month!

Other than that you sound pretty stocked

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Must have baby items

Congratulations! My two life savers were:

A nasal aspirator!! You dont want to wake up to a sick baby and have to run to the chemist

A feeding pillow. They get very heavy after a while. We just use one of those u-shaped pillows from target. We take it on holidays with us...i cant be without it!!

Sent from my GT-I9210T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Also i wouldnt bother with the nappy bin....theyre not worth the money. We just buy those dog poo bags from kmart ($4 for four rolls) and empty the kitchen bin each night. Smelly nappies just get double bagged.

And we have a bumbo at my mums house and i hate it. Her legs get stuck in it and its not the most stable device! We got the mamas and papas chair instead. Its got a huge base for more stability, a tray table, and can be used until 12 months.

Sent from my GT-I9210T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    1 - Baby swing. Absolute best thing ever. We chucked our bub in the baby swing and sat him infront of the bathroom while I had a shower - every morning for about 6 months, haha! Kept him upright and moving so I could at least have 10 minutes to myself, and he could see me too which helped.

Also helped while we had dinner - kind of like another little set of hands that could hold bub on the table with us while we ate. We spent the first few weeks alternating between holding him and eating - argh. Baby swing rules

2 - Huge packs of water. Like, 24 packs of 600ml from Aldi or something. I kept the side table in the nursery packed with water bottles cause I just couldn't stop drinking from all the breastfeeding. Will definitely be doing that again this time around!

Thanks
    Reviews

And an iPad or other tablet to help you stay in touch with the outside world while you spend countless hours on the couch breastfeeding !!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Don't get a nappy bin, I've only heard bad things about them. Until bub is on solids those nappy sacks are fine and you just put them in the normal bin. Once on solids put the dirty nappy in the wheelie bin or flush the poo - nothing will contain that smell I guarantee it.

Must have items - activity mat for inside and toy bar for carseat. A swing. Lots of infacol and baby panadol. Lots of either muslin wraps or terry towelling nappies for spew cleaning.

ETA just read you are considering the fisher price my little lamb swing. Yes, that's the one we had, get it. Also get one of those cheap crochet bouncers for the bath or if you are hanging out washing, etc.

Thanks
    Reviews

Bath thermometer. I don't trust my elbow or wrist. I use it everyday and I can see it being used for quite a few years in the future. I now buy one for every baby shower I attend as I find it so useful.