+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Sling/wrap for BIG baby while pregnant, HELP PLEASE!

DD is almost 10mo and weighs close to 12kgs so I'm looking for a comfortable and versatile sling or wrap. I originally bought an Ergo when she was newborn but I never found it very comfortable and now I'm pregnant again I need something that doesn't fasten around my belly.

She is blind and has other medical issues so she and I both find it comforting to have her close, especially when she's unwell or needs a power nap between appointments. Or even if I just need to make dinner, lol.

I imagine one that's more a piece of material that I can use in different ways would suit us because sometimes I just need to sling her across my front while she naps to save my arms falling off but also so I can move her to my hip or back to free up my hands if I want.

Does such a thing exist? I'd appreciate any help!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Sounds like a woven wrap would be great for you guys it is as you say essentially a long piece of material that you wrap in many, many ways! That way you can find a carry that will suit both of you comfortably. If you are on Facebook hop on the BWBSS (BabyWearing Buy Sell Swap), there are loads of wraps for sale and women with lots of info. The good thing about getting one second hand is that it will be nice and broken in I've bought a couple from there and they're great

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenMama View Post
    Sounds like a woven wrap would be great for you guys it is as you say essentially a long piece of material that you wrap in many, many ways! That way you can find a carry that will suit both of you comfortably. If you are on Facebook hop on the BWBSS (BabyWearing Buy Sell Swap), there are loads of wraps for sale and women with lots of info. The good thing about getting one second hand is that it will be nice and broken in I've bought a couple from there and they're great
    Gosh, I just came over to FB for a look and got very overwhelmed!! I have no idea where to start??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Sorry, I should have warned you! There are also lots of local groups on Facebook (ie Sydney Babywearers) that aren't for selling just meet-ups, questions etc. you could always see if there's a meet up soon near you and go and try something out?

Otherwise, there are LOADS of videos of YouTube. Just type in baby wearing or woven wrap etc and that will get you started. There's a lot of lingo that takes a while to get used to but after a while it all clicks into place.

Generally speaking though most people start with a size 6 wrap which is about 4.6m. This is long enough that you can do pretty much any carry. This is what I started with.

If you go to the photo albums on BWBSS there will be one called 'long wraps 4.5m+' or similar. Otherwise there is a weekly 'In search of (ISO)' thread where people list things they're looking for. You could always post in there and say you're new and what you're looking to do with a wrap etc. everyone is very friendly and helpful! Even just post on the wall and people will help out sorry if I've just confused you more!!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to GreenMama For This Useful Post:

RourkesMumma  (02-01-2013)