+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 6 months old loves to sleep on tummy

My little one learnt to rollover a few weeks ago and has been practicing her new skill everywhere, even in her cot. Me and DH have been flipping her whenever we see her on her tummy during the night, however within a min she is on her tummy again, sometimes I even find her sleeping on her side.

DD was never swaddled (only in hospital) she just hates to be wrapped up, so we can't do this to stop her rolling in the cot. When she was new born, we would put her to sleep on her tummy during the day as she wouldn't settle on her back, but she always knew to turn her head on the side to breath.

This morning at 5 I saw her deep asleep on her tummy again, I didn't even know when she rolled. Is it a problem to leave a 6 months sleeping on her tummy? I find that if I flip her sometimes I wake her up and it becomes very hard to settle her back to sleep.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I have always heard that as long as you actually put them to sleep on their back, however they choose to sleep after that is fine....

Thanks
    Reviews

If she is doing it by herself and is 6 months just leave her she is fine. Both my boys were tummy sleepers at that age

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    DD used to (and still does) that. I put her to sleep on her side as its her preference but most of the time she's on her tummy... big butt in the air... I stopped worrying about it when she got proficient at pulling herself up and repositioning herself, I just make sure her nostrils are not squished closed, however we have a breathing monitor so I always rely on that during the night.

Thanks
    Reviews

Stop flipping her. If she goes on her tummy automatically it's not a problem.

You're actually meant to stop swaddling babies once they can roll, so definitely don't think of wrapping her.

If she lives in a smoke free environment and hasn't got any lung or breathing problems, then tummy sleeping is not a problem.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week

As soon as DS could roll he would roll into his tummy to sleep. Which was around 6 months of age. I stopped swaddling and put him in a sleeping bag.

Thanks
    Reviews

Mine too! I was a crazy women when DD started to sleep on her belly, I was so worried, I asked everyone what to do, rang professionals etc and they all said the same as above. If she has a strong neck etc and you put her to sleep on her back, nothing much can be done.

I went out and purchased a video monitor and would check her constantly for a few nights, sometimes turning her over, but that would end in bub awake and not being able to settle again!!! Argh!!!

So in the end I still worry, but it's how she sleeps, no wrapping just in a sleeping bag.

Thanks
    Reviews

My health nurse told me that once they could roll it was fine because they were capable of rolling themselves back if their nose got squished. My ds is a tummy sleeper and only started once he could roll. We've never had a problem.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies. We always put DD to sleep on her back, however when we wake up we always find her all sort of weird sleeping positions (on the side, tummy, in the 3, 6, 9 o clock positions), coz now she can crawl backward.

I forgot to mention she hasn't quite mastered rolling from tummy to back, sometimes she can do it. Initially when we put her in the, she would scream when she was on her tummy, I could always wake up to flip her. However she has stopped screaming so even if I have the baby monitor on, I wouldn't know she is on her tummy, unless I stay up at night and check on her.... which I stopped doing a week ago as I no longer need to breastfeed/express at night (yay , best xmas pressie ever). Not sure if this is a problem if she can't roll from tummy to back. But we would definitely stopped flipping her if it isn't a problem, but just get a bit worried coz of the SIDS issue