+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Party food prep help

We are having a little morning tea in the park on Sunday for DS's 2nd b'day, and I just need a little help on food prep and storage

1. I'm attempting a train cake. The cake will be just a plain buttercake and I'm cheating and using pre-made icing (better crocker or the like), then decorated with lollies etc. I have to make the cake on Saturday - do I store it in the fridge or leave it out (covered) overnight? I'm in Bris, so pretty warm days atm.

2. If I make up mini sausage rolls (using frozen puff pastry) to the point of needing cooking the day before, will they be ok covered in the fridge overnight then cooked in the morning? Not sure how uncooked frozen puff does in the fridge for 12+hours. Or do I cook them the day before and re-heat on the morning?

I had more q's but have drawn a blank now!! Any help is appreciated

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Cake in fridge I did a train cake for my boys first birthday- they are a huge hit

Cook your sausage rolls as you make them, and then reheat them before you need them

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks nomsie - do you have any tips for the train cake? I don't have a recipe, was just going to do 2 loaves and cut 1 up for the cars and 1 for the train.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I find if you make the cake the day before and store it in the fridge it can dry out a little, but that is kind of preferable than having the icing melt and the lollies fall off...lol. I made a train cake for my grandson. I used a large jam roll for the engine and sponge cake cut to shape for the cabin. Iced and decorated with oreos for the wheels, smarties to mark out the windows and a chocolate bar for the funnel. Kids loved it. I would cook the sausage rolls the night before and then reheat when ready.Good luck with your party. Don't fret too much about the food because the kids will love whatever you give them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Party food prep help

Cook everything before and freeze - ie sausage rolls, mini quiches, patty cakes etc. I do this all the time.

Even cakes (minus icing) freeze well. I then decorate a frozen cake on the morning of the party and that usually keeps the icing cool and not melted

Thanks
    Reviews
    Lydie - good tips for the train cake, I hadn't thought of using a sponge roll. That would actually work out well because I'm trying to go with a bit of a Thomas theme.

Rose&Aurelia - what a great idea re cooking and freezing! I'm worried my Saturday is going to be so full of cooking I'm not going to get time to do it all, I might do some bits and pieces over the next few days and freeze some things. Do you find the mini quiches & sausage rolls thaw and reheat ok?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Sausage rolls definitely freeze and thaw and reheat- my nana used to cook up batches for me when I first had the boys and they were always delicious. I'm a little bit iffy about the quiches, only because of the egg?

1st birthday 032.jpg

Ok, so I had hoped to have a pic of the train before icing- apparently not! But for the train, we did a choc sponge roll for the tank, and two rectangular pieces for the cabin, and decorated with lollies. For the carriages, two rectangular shapes again. I do wish they had of been bigger to fit in with the size of the engine.

Finished product: 1st birthday 009.jpg1st birthday 010.jpg

Wheels were choc-mint biscuits

Joiners between carriages were fruit rings joined together.

'studs' were smarties

the red on the edges was red licorice Very delicious! And it was iced with butter icing, if that helps!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    Cook everything before and freeze - ie sausage rolls, mini quiches, patty cakes etc. I do this all the time.

Even cakes (minus icing) freeze well. I then decorate a frozen cake on the morning of the party and that usually keeps the icing cool and not melted
    This is what I do

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    PS- it was modeled off this cake from the AWW book (everyone grew up with it, right? )

AWW-Childrens-Birthday-Cake-Book.jpg

And whilst I was searching that image, saw this Thomas train that I think is the same style

35jjo14.jpg

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow nomsie - your cake is awesome!! I will definately be using the sponge roll for the engine. I have this wonderful idea in my head of what the cake is going to look like, but not sure if I can pull it off!

You've also just reminded me mum has the AWW cake cookbook - I used to look through it as a kid, I should get her to photocopy the train one for me!