+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default How to get a breastfeeding baby to drink from a bottle?

We used closer to nature by Tommee Tippee ... Also someone else giving the bottle can help so your milk can't be smelt...

For toddlers with milk - try using a 'new' bottle/cup he can choose at the shops, nesquik, milo, Yakult, sippa flavoured straws, Soy milk or blend some portions of fruit and freeze so it's easier to mix with milk for a 'smoothie' if that's all he will take.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to newmummy2010 For This Useful Post:

tubster  (01-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Also I've heard it recommended 6-8wks (or as late as u can) is good to try with the dummy/bottle to avoid nipple confusion... Unless your circumstances require otherwise it sounds like pretty reasonable/believable advice to me

4. The Following User Says Thank You to newmummy2010 For This Useful Post:

tubster  (01-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

You've had good advice for feeding with a bottle.

For your toddler, try a special cup. If toddler won't take milk, it's ok if you substitute with other calcium rich, fatty foods. Give custards, yoghurts, cheese. Grate cheese into veggies. Natural yoghurt in pasta sauces etc. cheese sticks or cheese on toast. White sauce with cheese and veggies pasta sauce, scrambled egg with cheese. Smoothies would be great too. I would try to avoid flavoring the milk with sugary additives if possible. There are better ways to get calcium in when toddlers are young.

Cyh (child youth health) SA website has info on there regarding this and amounts you need to aim for.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to moongazer For This Useful Post:

tubster  (01-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Quote Originally Posted by PR2bMum View Post
    Hey,

Yet to have this problem with my own but have just battled it with a good friend.

We won by having a bottle at the ready so the first sign of bub being hungry, mum was sent else where (out of the house) and I was left to feed bub the bottle. We stayed the night with them so it took a full 24 hours of feeds but we succeeded. Bub wasn't happy and I'd get her to drink as much as possible with out her working herself into a state and then once calm, and after some time (bout 15-20min) mum would feed her so she didn't go hungry. Each time we did this the amount she drank got more and the fuss she put up got less. Mum now successfully feeds her from a bottle (which now includes formula but this took another night of feeding as bub wouldn't take formula from the bottle to start with only breast milk).

Mum had tried heaps of different teats before doing the 'tough love' approach with no success, and bub will now drink from any teat.

Good luck
    Thanks! Did the mom gave her anything else when bub refused bottle? Or just kept on offering bottle?

SPC is offline Senior Member
    Winner 2010- The Most Passionate Crusader Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Try a face washer over a sippy cup.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by PR2bMum View Post
    Hey,

Yet to have this problem with my own but have just battled it with a good friend.

We won by having a bottle at the ready so the first sign of bub being hungry, mum was sent else where (out of the house) and I was left to feed bub the bottle. We stayed the night with them so it took a full 24 hours of feeds but we succeeded. Bub wasn't happy and I'd get her to drink as much as possible with out her working herself into a state and then once calm, and after some time (bout 15-20min) mum would feed her so she didn't go hungry. Each time we did this the amount she drank got more and the fuss she put up got less. Mum now successfully feeds her from a bottle (which now includes formula but this took another night of feeding as bub wouldn't take formula from the bottle to start with only breast milk).

Mum had tried heaps of different teats before doing the 'tough love' approach with no success, and bub will now drink from any teat.

Good luck
    Thanks! Did the mom gave her anything else when bub refused bottle? Or just kept on offering bottle?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I second the use of tommee tippee closer to nature. But with the slow flow teats (buy separately). Also same advice, someone other than you or use a different position. Like put bubs in a bouncer chair or lying on a pillow head supported etc. basically making the feed feel different to being breastfed. It worked for us.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

tubster  (01-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Tamtam View Post
    I second the use of tommee tippee closer to nature. But with the slow flow teats (buy separately). Also same advice, someone other than you or use a different position. Like put bubs in a bouncer chair or lying on a pillow head supported etc. basically making the feed feel different to being breastfed. It worked for us.
    Thanks!
    How long did it take to work? I am using the closer to nature ones with slow flow teat

Thanks
    Reviews

I comp feed and my LO will only take NUK bottles, the teats are very similar to a boob and fill up the mouth like a nipple (if that makes sense at all) a lot more than other teats.
    Last edited by callmedragon22; 01-01-2013 at 22:50.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by tubster View Post
    Once we (well me mum was out of house) had decided bub was getting close to too worked up, I'd put the bottle away and settle bub, after 15-20min mum would then feed bub from the boob like normal.