+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default How to get a breastfeeding baby to drink from a bottle?

I am exclusively breastfeeding DD, she's 2.5 months old. I like to her to get use to drinking from a bottle too so when she's not with me someone else can give her a feed of breast milk in a bottle or formula if necessary. I tried to give her bottle a few times and she doesnt like it at all.
    I breastfed DS also and he never took the bottle and I tried everything except starving him. And nothing worked.
    So I like some tips on how to get DD to drink from a bottle?
    Also how do you get your toddler to drink milk? DS hates milk. He's 22 months and for the past year I've been trying to offer him as much calcium as possible and kept on offering milk. Now he would have a few spoon full of it and would drink smoothies with it in it but that's about it
    Any tips?
    Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Not sure about the toddler one... Regarding bub and bottles can you try someone else giving bub the bottle? If that doesn't work try different teats.

Good luck...

αληθη is offline BH name read as Aleethee
    Winner 2012 - One most likely to be hacked by Nomsie
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

The natures something brand is supposed to be shaped like a breast if you haven't tried it? Otherwise not sure. Also for your ds have you tried other milks instead of cows milk?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by αληθη View Post
    The natures something brand is supposed to be shaped like a breast if you haven't tried it.
    Tommee tippee closer to nnature or Medela calma are supposed to be the closest I think.

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week

I still haven't had much success when trying the same thing, but I've read that: someone other than the mother needs to do the feed, because your baby can smell your milk. The mother should even leave the room! First couple of times, give a small breastfeed first then move to the bottle.

I've only had any measure of success once, when my husband was able to feed my son 90mls. Even so, he screamed for more and I had to give a tiny top up feed afterwards.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD wouldn't take it from me to begin with but would finish a bottle of ebm from DH....so that became his job started with the dream feed so I'd go to bed at 9ish and he'd give a later bottle, meant I got to sleep a good 6hours or so before the next feed = everyone was happier
    Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey,

Yet to have this problem with my own but have just battled it with a good friend.

We won by having a bottle at the ready so the first sign of bub being hungry, mum was sent else where (out of the house) and I was left to feed bub the bottle. We stayed the night with them so it took a full 24 hours of feeds but we succeeded. Bub wasn't happy and I'd get her to drink as much as possible with out her working herself into a state and then once calm, and after some time (bout 15-20min) mum would feed her so she didn't go hungry. Each time we did this the amount she drank got more and the fuss she put up got less. Mum now successfully feeds her from a bottle (which now includes formula but this took another night of feeding as bub wouldn't take formula from the bottle to start with only breast milk).

Mum had tried heaps of different teats before doing the 'tough love' approach with no success, and bub will now drink from any teat.

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: How to get a breastfeeding baby to drink from a bottle?

I have been having this battle with my bub, but she is only 13 days old. I got some of the medela calma bottles and fed her first from the boob, and then from the bottle. Has taken a couple of days and she seems to prefer freshly expressed milk at this stage.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Grebbeci For This Useful Post:

tubster  (01-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I got DD taking a bottle by putting water in the bottle and giving it to her to play with. She didn't seem to like it if there was milk in it when I was in the initial stage of getting her used to it. Once she got the hang of sucking on it with water in it, I was able to introduce warmed milk and eventually she was drinking a decent amount.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Hollywood For This Useful Post:

tubster  (01-01-2013)

αληθη is offline BH name read as Aleethee
    Winner 2012 - One most likely to be hacked by Nomsie
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Toomanyboys View Post
    Tommee tippee closer to nnature or Medela calma are supposed to be the closest I think.
    I think the Closer to nature are the ones I'm thinking of.