+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default re: my 4th cesarean

Ok I am having my 4th cesarean due in march and I am having all this anxiety about the operation. I hear so many scary stories and well I am so scared. I feel like I want to just go to sleep for the operation but dont want to miss out on that experience of seeing and holding my baby for the first time. I dont like spinal blocks etc cause they hurt and the numbing feeling just freaks me out everytime.
    Would love to hear from other mums who have had 4 cesareans and any tips you can give me.

Thankyou

αληθη is offline BH name read as Aleethee
    Winner 2012 - One most likely to be hacked by Nomsie
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I haven't had any cesareans but I read another thread a day or so ago about getting a Valium before the spinal block? Would that maybe help you calm a bit before the operation?

Thanks
    Reviews

I've only had two. To be honest I don't mind the Caesarian part. It's the after pains that scare the living sh!t out of me.
    But yes they can give you something to calm your nerves. Speak to the anaesthetist before hand and they add it to your iv.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thankyou for the suggestion but I am actually allergic. I have a long list of allergies. With my last cesarean 3 years ago I could only take 2 panadols every 4 hours for pain.

αληθη is offline BH name read as Aleethee
    Winner 2012 - One most likely to be hacked by Nomsie
    Thanks
    Reviews

Oh wow that's horrible. I'm not sure what you could do other than maybe try some meditation to calm your nerves?

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: re: my 4th cesarean

I kind of get how you feel! I've only had 2 but when I found out I would be having my second cesarean I felt like I was tempting fate and something bad would happen! I didn't have time to think about it the first time round because it was an emergency but I am sure that if I ever had any more I would be just as nervous and frankly terrified!! The only thing I could do was to simply go through with it and hope for the best, although of course now when I think about how I was feeling I wonder why I didn't talk to anyone about it? All the advice I can offer is to talk to your Dr? They may have some ideas about managing the anxiety.

I hope all goes well for you! I just couldn't read and not let you know you are definately not the only one *hugs*

Thanks
    Reviews

I've only had 2 and was very nervous. I did a calm birth course so I used those breathing techniques I'd learned and felt it really helped calm me down.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thankyou for sharing. Wth my other 3 pregnancies they were all emergency cesareans even my last one was because of early labour so i didnt really have time to think about it.

Thanks
    Reviews

Hi
    I have only had 1 c-sec and it was an emergency.
    They couldn't get the spinal in the right spot and as the cause of the c-sec was due to me having clots that were effecting the baby's condition they quickly decided to use GA, when they were trying to do the spinal I remember having a panic attack over how I would be awake during an operation, I was worried about the outcome of me and my baby as it wasn't a planned c-sec and it was all happening so quickly.

My husband was allowed to stay in the OR, only because he came down when we were all under the impression of a spinal and when I started having a panic attack they called him in to try and calm me to give me the GA.
    So I was glad they allowed him in for that, as looking back if he wasn't there (as most hospitals won't allow someone else in the room when under GA)
    I always wonder what it would have been like in the room when my daughter came out, with a mum under GA and no dad.. Just drs.. Sounds weird but I wonder if they would have talked to her.. Or if the room just would have been silent and the drs on auto pilot, my other thought looking back on it is, childbirth and c-sections can go wrong, the thought that I went under GA and the possibility was there of me not ever waking up and seeing my new born for the first time is a scary thought I get from time to time.

I remember nothing once I was under the GA, I felt nothing... Obviously but it was like I went to sleep and all this stuff had happened whilst I was there.. But I wasn't really there.
    I swear I did hear her cry, most likely a dream or effect from the GA but I did hear new borns cries.
    I woke up 3 hours later in recovery, I was delirious.
    I had no idea for the first hour I had even been pregnant, I was wondering what had happened.
    My head was, weird, it felt like my brain had turned to water and when I moved my head it felt like my brain was sloshing around in there.. Obviously my brain was intact but it was just an effect of the GA wearing off.

In total I was in recovery for 4 1/2 hours.
    They took me back up the the room.. And I don't remember a thing! Apart from pain, I have all these photos and looking back on them I feel so much jealousy towards my husband and my mother that they did the first nappy change, got to see her first, dressed her, all that stuff.
    You can actually see me passed out in the back ground or just sitting there with blank eyes in most of the photos of my dd's first 24 hours lol.
    Not really what I expected my birth to be like, but we were both ok and that's the best outcome.

As I have only had 1 c-sec I don't know how true this is, but I had sever pain in my stomach, and holy crap my legs!! the tops of my legs were agonizing for the first 12 hours, now that I remember! I was on all different pain meds and they only touched the surface really, after 12 hours the pain was considerably better.
    I was told this was because I had no spinal, usually by the time the spinal fully wears off the healing process of the body is under way and the body is no longer in a state of "Shock" where pain receptors are being sent aggressively, spinal blocks keep you numb for a while, by the time they are completely worn off the pain the body is actually feeling is better.
    Yes the pain meds helped, but I did labour naturally and got to 10cm and it didn't compare to this.
    This was like I had been stabbed, my body was shaking.. It wasn't nice.
    I kept getting told it was because I hadn't had a spinal, one dr even offered to do an epidural to give me some relief.
    At about 15-20 hours later the pain was bearable.

I don't have any regrets about it all though, with how quickly I was taken down to theater, all the drs and emergency pediatrics around telling me all this stuff, the hearing them all taking medical terms to each other with concerned looks, it had me petrified for the worst outcome, I'm just so glad everything went the way it did.

If I have another c-sec, it will be a planned one.
    I can't say 100% if I would be up to being awake during an operation, feeling painlessly what they are doing to my body.. I don't know if my next c-sec will be a spinal! Just that thought alone had me thinking, NOPE I will have GA.
    It scars the crap out of me so I know where your coming from.
    But then I think about
    A, what if something does wrong and I never got to see my baby, at least with a spinal I would have the chance to see them once.
    B, with a spinal I wouldn't be in the recovery room for so long.
    C, With a spinal my head wouldn't be effected so badly and I might have remember the first 24 hours.
    D, the after pain might be better if I had a spinal, according to what I have been told.
    C, A spinal is a guarantee my partner would be in the room, it was only a fluke that he was allowed to be there when I was under GA.

I'm not trying to discourage you, or change your thinking about a c-sec under GA, just sharing my experience and as its the only c-sec I have ever had, I can't compare it to what you have been through with previous births.
    As I said, I can't even say 100% that I would have a spinal with my next c-section.
    Just thought I would share what My experience was like and my thoughts so you can weigh up all the pros and cons.

Which ever way you decide to go I wish you an amazing and safe delivery

*sorry for the typos, curious 2yo typing with me*

Thanks
    Reviews
    Last edited by lolly137; 17-09-2015 at 19:31.