+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default BNE royal women's hospital

Just wondering if anyone can shed some light.. I have been searching for answers online but to no avail.

I had my 1st at Brisbane royal woman's public and it was a great experience with lovely midwives, can't fault them. I believe it is also one of the only public hospitals in Brisbane that have facilities for labouring in water/spa bath. (Private isn't an option)

I was once living in Brisbane north bit have since moved outside of the area. If I was to get a referral from my doc would I be eligible for royal women's again when my next baby is due?

It's only a 20min drive. I understand in an emergency I would be going to the closest hospital to me. But ideally I would like the option of a water labour.

Any opinions. Insights. Thoughts are welcomed.
    x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Just wondering how long ago u had ur 1st there? Only ask because I had my first there 5 years ago and 1) it was the worst experience of my life, the midwives were horrible and 2) they didn't offer the water/spa birth. Could have a shower but they wouldn't let u birth in the shower and the bath was off limits completely.

I'd would just ask ur doctor about a referral?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nope, they've restricted it to catchment area now sorry. The only way you'll end up there is if you have a serious issue that needs tertiary level care.

Ipswich Hospital offers water immersion for labour and birth and Caboolture Hospital offers water immersion for labour but not birth.

Hope that helps

Also I'm not too sure where you live but these midwives have visiting/practice rights at Ipswich Hospital and also do home births if you were considering that as well. I'm not too sure how much they charge, but I believe they try to make it as accessible as possible.

http://www.mymidwives.com.au/index.p...le=team&page=1

Quote Originally Posted by lil miss View Post
    2) they didn't offer the water/spa birth. Could have a shower but they wouldn't let u birth in the shower and the bath was off limits completely.

In the Birth Centre at the RBWH you can labour and give birth in water and most women do have a water birth there.

The baths in Birth Suite weren't properly designed and don't meet OH&S regulations for waterbirth as you can only access them from one side instead of two sides. Don't know which idiot designed those.
    Last edited by wannawannabe; 01-01-2013 at 13:37.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Yeah I wasn't in the birth centre

Thanks
    Reviews

Ipswich hospital is amazing!
    I have also had some surgeries there that have been the best experience of my life.. As far as surgeries go
    We aren't in the catchment for Ipswich anymore, but as I'm still an "Out patient" due to medical reasons which means I have to go up every 4 months to the Gynecology ward for routine tests and all that fun stuff I can still go.
    I travel the 45 mins to get there and it doesn't worry me in the slightest as the care I get isn't comparable to other hospitals I have been to.
    The best experience in care I have had there was with my pregnancy and birth..
    Ipswich is kind of the last place you would expect, and whilst I know some of their other departments like mental health aren't great, the OBGYN department is great.
    I do have private health but I still choose to go to Ipswich for my problems as I have found them better.
    St. Andrews, PA and Green slopes miss diagnosed me many times and fobbed me off.

As for the royal, when we were living in Augustine heights my daughter had medical issues, my GP wanted me to see someone up at the royal children's but because of catchments it wasn't going to happen.
    My GP just ended up calling the royal and booking us in that way.
    The peadi we seen there wasn't amazing and we ended up using our private health to see another peadi but still at the royal children's.

I suppose the best you can do is talk to your GP and stress that that's the hospital you want to birth at for X,Y,X reasons and see what they can do.

Do you have any family out near the Royal or in the catchment area?
    You could always use there address (change you details for that address) to get into the hospital an once you are in just say your moving and change it to your actually address.
    I have know many mothers who did this to get into the Marter.

Good luck

*Edited for a word mix up*
    Last edited by Lumi; 01-01-2013 at 15:01.

Thanks
    Reviews

My first is 6yrs now. So it was a while ago. I'm sorry to hear you had a bad experience there LilMiss.

Just did a little more research and found this great website for QLD Mums thttp://havingababy.org.au it enabled me to compare the facilities and reviews of all the available hospitals

I am torn between Logan, RBH and Mater Mothers now. None of them have facilities for water birth but they do allow water labour. Exception being Logan only has one bath but is closer to home.

Decisions. Decisions. All have catchment areas so will have to talk to my gp in the coming weeks about how we get around that / if we can.
    Mater mothers services Bne South but I don't know over what area. They don't seem to show a map of the included area.

Thanks for your help ladies!

Thanks
    Reviews

thanks lumi. I had considered the address change too. Bit sneaky. But at the end of the day I just want to feel confident with my birthing options.

x

Thanks
    Reviews

Ipswich hospital have spas in the room, to use them you have to sign a legal form before 30 weeks pregnant.
    Pretty much they say you can labour in the pool but once it's time to push you have to get out...
    But if your apart of the midwife program there, so you have a midwife looking after your entire pregnancy and birth, then they kind of allow you to water birth, my midwife just told me that if your in the water and the baby just "Slips" out then there was nothing they could do, she said it "Happens a lot" wink wink, nudge nudge.. If you get what I mean.

My sister gave birth 5 times at Logan.
    She had a great experience
    Her first passed at 25 weeks and she gave birth to him, she said they made it as comfortable and supportive for her as they possibly could, her births that came after that have all been natural and she loved the care she received.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by MadeWithLove View Post
    thanks lumi. I had considered the address change too. Bit sneaky. But at the end of the day I just want to feel confident with my birthing options.

x
    We will be doing it for dd's school, yes it's sneaky.. But people do it.
    And if it means your then going to be 100% confident about your birth then go for it I say

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: BNE royal women's hospital

Quote Originally Posted by MadeWithLove View Post

In the birth centre you can have a water birth but they have a ballot system to get a place. If you don't get in you would have to deliver in birth suite and there you can't even labour in the bath.
    x
    I did this as wanted to get into the birth centre. Just be prepared that you will need to provide proof of address by way of a utility bill (rates, water, electricity or a copy of a lease).

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub
    Last edited by kat10; 01-01-2013 at 15:54.